An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's the most readily available so trying to get it working first seems best. Worst comes to worst you return it and get the HDK instead, but I'll have the measurements by then so shouldn't delay things much.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Livestream is over, thanks to everyone who joined to watch live!

For those who didn't watch the video, one of the big decision points that will need to be made is the power solution. I think I've ruled out FlexATX since the form factor doesn't really fit in well in this particular instance so that leaves the PicoPSU-style unit for the DC-ATX half of things or the HDPLEX 250W/300W form factor.

Thoughts?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
HDPlex is probably the most reliable, larger capacity PSUs that is available on Amazon and ships from multiple continents. I'd go HDPlex.

Also I missed the live stream, it was lIke 0500 in the morning for me. Very cool though.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Gotta love apps freezing up as soon as you start livestreaming. Nothing more infuriating than trying to show someone something and your PC acting up. I'll have to check the whole video out later when I am off work. Thanks for streaming!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Gotta love apps freezing up as soon as you start livestreaming. Nothing more infuriating than trying to show someone something and your PC acting up. I'll have to check the whole video out later when I am off work. Thanks for streaming!

I think what I'll do next time is "only" stream at 1080p@30fps instead of 60fps and also set the process priority for the SpaceClaim process higher so that should fix the issue. Because I went back into that HDPLEX model after stopping the stream and it was perfectly smooth, so it was definitely OBS messing it up.

I mean it works but it's clunky.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, thanks for reminding me. I just trimmed it but since it's a 2-hour video it'll take some time to process.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's a bit short notice, but I'll be doing a stream today in 8 hours at 4pm Central (click here to see in your local time zone).

This is mostly to test the Beam streaming service since it supposedly can do sub-second delay between stream and chat: https://beam.pro/

No major progress will be made on the case so don't feel bad if you can't make it. I'll post a link shortly before I go live.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Livestream is over, thanks to everyone who joined to watch live!

For those who didn't watch the video, one of the big decision points that will need to be made is the power solution. I think I've ruled out FlexATX since the form factor doesn't really fit in well in this particular instance so that leaves the PicoPSU-style unit for the DC-ATX half of things or the HDPLEX 250W/300W form factor.

Thoughts?
Don't keep the brick outside, then it's just a liter bigger than the "size."