SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
News tidbits about Ryzen from this week:

Ryzen and ECC memory, does it work ?
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...ws/75030-ecc-memory-amds-ryzen-deep-dive.html

In conclusion, what is currently available on the AM4 platform is an incomplete implementation of ECC. This is very likely why motherboard manufacturers have been relatively hesitant about claiming that their products support ECC memory in ECC mode. Based on our findings, there is clearly some level of ECC functionality that is working right now, but it does not cover the full spectrum of memory error detection and correction. Having said that, the status quo is arguably better than nothing, especially since single-bit errors are much more likely than multi-bit errors (which are often caused by a failing memory module), so I suspect that many people will still want the extra protection that is available right now.

When a gaming developer optimizes their code for Ryzen
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

These are substantial performance improvements with the new engine code! At both 2400 MHz and 3200 MHz memory speeds, and at both High and Extreme presets in the game (all running in DX12 for what that’s worth), the gaming performance on the GPU-centric is improved. At the High preset (which is the setting that AMD used in its performance data for the press release), we see a 31% jump in performance when running at the higher memory speed and a 22% improvement with the lower speed memory. Even when running at the more GPU-bottlenecked state of the Extreme preset, that performance improvement for the Ryzen processors with the latest Ashes patch is 17-20%!

It’s also important to note that Intel performance is unaffected – either for the better or worse.

This weekend a few BIOS updates again were released. Since I have an Asus Prime X370-Pro board myself, I can elaborate what I've noticed:
PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0515
1.Improve system stability.
2.Enhance memory compatibility
3.Improve CPU temperature monitor function

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/PRIME-X370-PRO-ASUS-0515.zip

Point 3 I've noticed immediately: the fan control based it's CPU readings off of the "CPU Diode" reading, whereas it now is based on the much less jittery "CPU" reading.

Green = CPU Diode
Light Blue = CPU

This results in the fan speeds (thus noise) not acting like a thermistor-based PSU without hysteresis and more like the proper fan curves we've grown to love.

Reactions: Soul_Est

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Clearly Ryzen 7 is improving..:)

Double check of Rise of the tomb raider by hardware unboxed, but it seems to be specific to Rise of the tomb raider

And more important, bios evolution on gta5 results : (hourrah asrock taichi..:))

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is also a new deep analysis from Hardware.fr on RAM influence on Ryzen performance...(warning..as usual it's in french and it's very detailled!..:))
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/958-5/jeux-battlefield-1-project-cars.html

To sum up very quickly, for gaming, it's better to have 2xSingle Rank, fast and low latency RAM kit (like G.Skill Flare X 3200C14)
http://www.hardware.fr/getgraphimg.php?id=503&n=1

but they also revealed that 4 dimm of slower Single rank memory can catch up...Ryzen has clearly complex RAM support.

Reactions: Phuncz

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Can anyone here with a Ryzen CPU and a Wattmeter try to underclock/undervolt it so it reaches a TDP of around 35W? I haven't seen anything about underclocking Ryzen yet and I would love to know if it can compete with Intel 35W T-series chips.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It's a good question indeed, and this undervolting ability is one the best one from Intel lga 115X..:D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It is also shown that faster RAM speeds improve interconnect speeds (Infinity Fabric) and FPS in games:

Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I saw that video but it's crazy for him to get ram up to 3600mhz...not feasible on cold boot...only feasible after several trials...worth for benchmark but not for everyday..:)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I saw that video but it's crazy for him to get ram up to 3600mhz...not feasible on cold boot...only feasible after several trials...worth for benchmark but not for everyday..:)
But it does show what is possible and given that we are using overclockable chips, what's another stable overclock?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For my cerberus-x, i'll definitely choose my cpu platform by beginning of april/ begin of may..let's see if microcode update will close gaps with intel.

My second concern about rysen is its ram support...it's still quite complicated...:)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
For my cerberus-x, i'll definitely choose my cpu platform by beginning of april/ begin of may..let's see if microcode update will close gaps with intel.

My second concern about rysen is its ram support...it's still quite complicated...:)
And SFF isn't? ;) I understand what you mean though. It's not a fire and forget purchase for the platform. Extra research (single rank?, Samsung B-die?, ECC?, etc.) and finger-crossing added to a list of things to do for a build. ECC is supported though and HardwareCanucks tested it.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is interesting revisit from Gamers Nexus about Ryzen, about Windows/software update, uefi update and ram OC...and once again, situation is clearly improving..:)

That also means Ryzen requires a very good motherboard and RAM (samsung b dies) to get all power from it..:)

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
In gaming, while average FPS didn't increase much, it looks like there's a lot of gains on 1% and 0.1% lows. These updates make Ryzen look very promising!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
which means that AMD has stopped being the go-to company for whoever's on a budget :(
No matter the company, you always needed a very good motherboard and memory to get the most out of processors. Ryzen 5 and 7 will work fine for now and especially, when the Ryzen 3 drops. Considering that AMD has a 8-core, 16-thread processor for much less than the equivalent performing model from Intel, I'd say that they are still the go-to company for people on a budget. Thankfully, this will not be another repeat of the Bulldozer era.

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc and Josh | NFC