SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Ah, finally some competition. It's good to see AMD coming out of the gate strong and forcing a move by Intel. Hopefully this time Intel properly tries to compete. Last time AMD had a hit, Intel strong armed OEMs into making AMD disappear from their products.

On a side note, I can't help but notice some irony in AMD's product line. I still remember when Phenom launched and AMD poked at Intel for their quad cores being a pair of 2 core dies on one chip with AMD having the only "true" 4 core die; now here they are with 2 4 core dies in one package.
I do understand why, of course: parts commonality/modularity. it's easier to design the 4 core complex and mix and match it with 1 or 2 complexes for their CPUs and adding a GPU for the APU lineup, than to have separate 4 and 8 core dies like Intel does.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There are Beta BIOSes floating around with the AGESA 1.0.0.4a update, which according to AMD addresses the following:
BIOSes based on this new code will have four important improvements for you
  1. We have reduced DRAM latency by approximately 6ns. This can result in higher performance for latency-sensitive applications.
  2. We resolved a condition where an unusual FMA3 code sequence could cause a system hang.
  3. We resolved the “overclock sleep bug” where an incorrect CPU frequency could be reported after resuming from S3 sleep.
  4. AMD Ryzen™ Master no longer requires the High-Precision Event Timer (HPET).

At the moment, I'd say hold off on upgrading as I'm seeing people reporting various results in keeping the same RAM speed that you currently have.

Read more here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64is8w/new_bios_for_the_prime_x370pro_is_up/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/64ix5p/asus_prime_b350ma_bios_update/
http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/886/am4-beta-bios-thread

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I know, I am expecting next spring...........So time to get as much as I can between now and then, but a CPU cooler is difficult to get in advance not knowing what TDP will be for top performing APU.............Hedging my bets with 95W.
May go water cooled.............Splitting case into dual chamber anyway, so could spec to suit, once I have more info.

Reactions: Soul_Est

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017

Again, power consumption being an issue. This isn't just the result of an overclock, either.
I feel a lot of people are neglecting the power consumption of all these Ryzen chips in general and not mentioning that AMD and Intel keep measuring TDP differently. There was a graphic I saw a few days ago showing power consumption under load, measured at the wall, of an R7 1700 system. It was higher than even 91W 7700K and doing the maths you could see the CPU would be taking around 100W. And that's a 65W CPU! But most reviews don't seem to take that into account. They just read 65W on the package and assume it's 65W, and then write something like "It beats this Intel processor and is more power efficient" when in reality it's not really like that. This is exactly why I ended up changing my mind: while a couple of months ago I was thinking of going with Ryzen 5/3 + low-power GPU or even a Raven/Bristol Ridge chip to pair with a picoPSU, it turns out it's just not doable. You can pair a 65W Intel CPU with a 1050 Ti and use a pico-160-XT with a similarly rated power brick, for example, but you can't do it with a 65W AMD CPU...

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I will be using a 120w G-Unique anyway, Pico units I have can stay on the sub 60WTDP units, G3258 and Athlon 5350. Pico unit is very dated now...........I mean who wants a floppy drive connector really?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
HardOCP measured "at the wall", meaning AC-DC loss which is not really representative for TDP discussion since that's to show internal heat production, not power draw from the wall socket. They also use an old 1200W Thermaltake PSU, which is a 80+Silver PSU. Those numbers don't seem very representative at all when discussing TDP.

Anandtech does do these kind of readings.

This doesn't include chipset but that's also dependant on implementation. Mind you, those aren't 7600K or 7700K CPUs but the standard models. The 7700K comes awfully close to the 1800X in CPU power consumption.

Reactions: Soul_Est and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Also, There was a nice right up at Hot Hardware concerning power consumption. They have Ryzen 7 showing similar draw to Intel 8 core parts. All good to consider when looking for powering a system for sure. And YES everyon, TDP is always only part of the picture.

http://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x-1700-benchmarks-and-review?page=10

EDIT.. again. Here is the passage I felt was relavant.

"Power consumption with Ryzen looks very good. Idle power is nice and low and in-line with the most power-friendly Intel processors. Under load, the Ryzen 7 1800X consumed about 10 more watts than the Core i7-6900K, which is a massive improvement over previous-generation architectures in terms of efficiency."

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Reactions: Soul_Est and TheHig

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I know, I am expecting next spring...........So time to get as much as I can between now and then, but a CPU cooler is difficult to get in advance not knowing what TDP will be for top performing APU.............Hedging my bets with 95W.
May go water cooled.............Splitting case into dual chamber anyway, so could spec to suit, once I have more info.
I'm hoping that the higher-end APUs hit 125W or higher TDP with mid-range APUs hitting 95W.

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Can anybody who has bought a 1400 inform us of the Wraith Stealth's height? Hope it's not much taller than Intel's stock fan or I'll have to buy a new cooler.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I must admit that Ryzen 5 are really devastating core i5 processors..:D
I'm pretty sure that Ryzen 5 will "disrupt" cpu market, even better than Ryzen 7.

GG AMD!
Makes you wonder what is going to happen when Ryzen 3 drops? Everybody loses their minds?

Reactions: cmyk78

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well Ryzen 5 1400 is not really amazing vs r5 1600/x...i'm doubting on r3 capabilities to outperform g4560 in budget price range..:)

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The thing about that, though is: The upcoming Raven Ridge APUs are more comparable to Intel's mainstream offerings by virtue of being a CPU and GPU in one package. Though, I guess that's helpful. With Intel, you are always getting HD/Iris graphics even if you aren't using them whereas AMDs 4 core offerings are all binned processors, and you can instead go with a higher core count.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well as far as we know future APU from AMD will have 1 CCX with 4 cores (with or without SMT...not yet known)...but unfortunately it will be poorly placed vs intel lga 115x on cpu computing. Afterwards, apu gpu part will be better than intel counterpart...as usual...but let's see in details..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is a very interesting video comparing 4k gaming with SLI of GTX 1080 ti between Ryzen (3200 ram speed) and core i7 7700K :

Here is another video with lower RAM 2400 and single GTX 1080 ti vs 6900K@4,4GHz vs 7700K@5,1GHz:

Here is another video comparing LGA vs PGA...I must admit I've forgotten that removing heatsink on AMD PGA cpu...means removing CPU meanwhile lol..:D

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
The 1600X is looking like an amazing performer compared to the 1800X and 7700K when using 1080Ti non-SLI. Probably not the point of the first video though :p

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ryzen 5 1600X could be a very capable contender with higher OC compared to R7 1700...it could be replaced in 1 or 2 years on same AM4 platform..:D

Reactions: Soul_Est