SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
What? Already? I was expecting Ryzen toward the end of next month, not the start.

AMD's performance claims do certainly sound nice, and $500 for their top end part is definitely appreciated with Intel's top end being twice as much even if Ryzen doesn't quite end up meeting the same capabilities.

I'm still going to wait to see third party reviews and benchmarks, though. I expect them to have done a good job with this one this time around, and being great for price/performance, but I still don't expect them to be too close to top end performance (and even if their CPUs match performance with Intel parts that have half the number of cores, then it shows AMD still has a weakness in single thread performance which is bad news when trying to sell to enthusiasts)

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
now get those ITX boards on the market...

EDIT: According to wccftech:
There’s also X300 which is the chip aimed at Mini-ITX boards featuring enthusiast grade designs. Boards based on this SKU will be available around mid-2017.

god damn it

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah I read somewhere else that they are being deliberately delayed because the chipset isn't quite ready yet. Kinda disappointing, but as much as we like to think it isn't SFF is still a relative niche.

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Pre-orders open, but reviews are embargoed until ship date? That seems a little odd.
And some sneakyness with their benchmarking:
AMD did not send the final test configurations until moments before launch, but it is worth calling out that the company tested the Broadwell-E comparison systems with a dual-channel memory configuration, though they support quad-channel memory. This could penalize Broadwell-E's Cinebench performance slightly.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I'll just leave this here:

What's even better, is that it isn't fake :p Or, well, it lines up with what all the techy channels have seen at the launch event.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Prices in Canada aren't too shabby either. $502.83 for the 1700, $606.79 for 1700X, and $753.69 for 1800X respectively from Newegg (including shipping and handling and 13% tax).

Last edited:

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Most likely upgrading my plex server with a second hand 1800x when itx boards come out. My i5 6400 isn't too fond of 4k transcoding :(

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I guess most people were expecting it to be a week away, it was rumoured to be announced just before the March 2nd embargo.

And I just pre-ordered one, bought a ticket on the hype train.

Hell Ya!

Did you choose a board yet and which R7 did you go for?

esplin2966

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 2, 2015
I'm a AMD hype sucker so I'm really really excited for this! unfortunately no mITX option means I won't be jumping on the train too soon. I might be interested in building a completely passive mATX system when I graduate though, so we'll see :)

Reactions: LocoMoto and cmyk78

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
You would be better served with a 1700 (65W TDP), no? If not for the lower price, then the lower power consumption.

I find the 1700 and possible 6 core 65w cpus to be the most interesting for these applications also. AND we can pair them with DC psu and high end gpus hopefully. But still no Itx boards as of yet.

Personally if I cave and go mATX then it's sfx psu and oveclocking fun maybe.

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 29, 2015
one thing that annoys me about am4 (well am3 etc as well) is the non-square mounting holes. It means that the cooler bracket needs to be designed specifically so that it can fit all 4 orientations, as opposed to intels, which is SQUARE so you can just rotate the bloody thing.

I'm sad that my cooler (gelid slim hero) probably won't support am4 (without modding that is hehe)

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
The flip side of that is that standard Intel mounting is a huge keep out area. The slim mounting they usually use for servers is also rectangular.

Reactions: Soul_Est

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm a AMD hype sucker so I'm really really excited for this! unfortunately no mITX option means I won't be jumping on the train too soon. I might be interested in building a completely passive mATX system when I graduate though, so we'll see :)

A passive Ryzen system sounds like a misguided plan. Every chip in the series (If I'm not mistaken) is designed to self-overclock if cooling permits. Even if you could successfully passively cool a 65W to 95W chip, I have reservations that you could do so while a chip like that is overclocking itself.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm excited for the cheap motherboards. Intel has very few mATX X99 boards and they're expensive. With Zen we will get mATX + 8 core CPU for under $400. mATX + 6 Core for Intel you are looking at $550-$600.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est