SFF.Network AMD Ryzen announced, detailed and available for pre-order TODAY !

Ever since AMD first announced the work that would later be branded as Ryzen, the company has been strategically and masterfully orchestrating a narrative of dramatic change and disruption to the staid status quo of consumer and enthusiast-grade processors. Today, however, AMD has built up this performance into a crescendo, by revealing their top-performing Ryzen AM4 CPUs today.

Read more here.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Forgive me if this is a stupid thought... I have a basic grasp of pc components but I'm far from an expert.

If all the ryzen cpus are unlocked, couldnt you just slightly overclock a non "x" model to the same specs as the slightly more expensive version at the same tdp? Would they be binned such that this unlikely and your just better off spending the extra $20?

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Not stupid at all. In fact, that's the reason that the 1700 (non-x) is selling like hotcakes.
It's smarter to get the 1700/1700x. The same can be said for motherboards- because all Ryzen CPU's and 3/4 of the chipsets support overclocking, there is little reason to get a Z370 over the B350 outside of mobo features (Intel over Realtek NIC or Realtek ALC1220 over Realtek ALC880 sound).

It's just not worth it to get an 1800x if you're capable of overclocking the 1700/1700x yourself.
The 1700/1700x/1800x are all technically the same exact processor just binned differently and then sold at different prices.
However, due to the binning process, you might only be able to take a 1700 to ~3.8GHz and a 1700x to ~4.1GHz. It's ultimately up to users to decide if paying that $50 difference in price (the cost of a better motherboard) for that extra ~300MHz in speed is worth it (Hint: It's not). The value proposition is even worse with the 1800X.

The whole XFR feature is a total gimmick imo. That meager +100MHz "boost" is a joke in comparison to Intel's i7-6900k turboboosting from 3.2 to 4.0GHz (800MHz, 25% boost). I wouldn't be surprised if XFR is deleted entirely from the marketing material with the 2nd gen ZEN release. They are going to need a lot more than just 100MHz to justify it as a selling point going forward.

Last edited:

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Not stupid at all. In fact, that's the reason that the 1700 (non-x) is selling like hotcakes.
It's smarter to get the 1700/1700x. The same can be said for motherboards- because all Ryzen CPU's and chipsets support overclocking, there is little reason to get a Z370 over the B350 outside of mobo features (Intel over Realtek NIC or Realtek ALC1220 over Realtek ALC880 sound).

It's just not worth it to get an 1800x if you're capable of overclocking the 1700/1700x yourself.
The 1700/1700x/1800x are all technically the same exact processor just binned differently and then sold at different prices.
However, due to the binning process, you might only be able to take a 1700 to ~3.8GHz and a 1700x to ~4.1GHz. It's ultimately up to users to decide if paying that $50 difference in price (the cost of a motherboard) for that extra ~300MHz in speed is worth it (Hint: It's not, the value proposition is even worse with the 1800X).

The whole XFR feature is a total gimmick. That meager +100MHz "boost" is a joke in comparison to Intel's i7-6900k turboboosting from 3.2 to 4.0GHz (800MHz, 25% boost!!). I wouldn't be surprised if XFR is deleted entirely from the marketing material with the 2nd gen ZEN release. They are going to need a lot more than just 100MHz to justify it as a selling point going forward.

Cool, thanks for the reply!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It's smarter to get the 1700/1700x. The same can be said for motherboards- because all Ryzen CPU's and chipsets support overclocking, there is little reason to get a Z370 over the B350 outside of mobo features (Intel over Realtek NIC or Realtek ALC1220 over Realtek ALC880 sound).

However, due to the binning process, you might only be able to take a 1700 to ~3.8GHz and a 1700x to ~4.1GHz. It's ultimately up to users to decide if paying that $50 difference in price (the cost of a better motherboard) for that extra ~300MHz in speed is worth it (Hint: It's not). The value proposition is even worse with the 1800X.

The whole XFR feature is a total gimmick imo. That meager +100MHz "boost" is a joke in comparison to Intel's i7-6900k turboboosting from 3.2 to 4.0GHz (800MHz, 25% boost). I wouldn't be surprised if XFR is deleted entirely from the marketing material with the 2nd gen ZEN release. They are going to need a lot more than just 100MHz to justify it as a selling point going forward.
Only the X370, X300, and B350 support overclocking.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/939-3/overclocking-pratique.html
For info, OC tool (Ryzen Master) is working well and allows to control frequencies and vcore quite easily...a feature very helpful on lower end B350 MB (like Asus B350 prime) where bios is quite simple and straight forward

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And I just pre-ordered one, bought a ticket on the hype train.
Three weeks later, I'm still waiting for an X370 motherboard. The store only has the expensive Crosshair VI Hero and the sub-par featured ASRock X370 Killer SLI.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Nope but I want to keep my options open and I like the extra PCIe lanes and USB ports.
Between the motherboards themselves, there is a lot of feature disparity too, like the number of fan headers, PCIe slots, LAN NIC (Intel vs Realtek), sound chip, etc. I want a fully-featured board and for the B350 chipset there isn't any.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I understand..:)
In my opinion, B350 are great for gaming in mono gpu, and X370 only for SLI...but sli could be really important..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I've just checked x370 boards in France, and it's now far better..next week, everything will be available

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nope but I want to keep my options open and I like the extra PCIe lanes and USB ports.
Between the motherboards themselves, there is a lot of feature disparity too, like the number of fan headers, PCIe slots, LAN NIC (Intel vs Realtek), sound chip, etc. I want a fully-featured board and for the B350 chipset there isn't any.

Any board in particular standing out for you? The Taichi seems to be getting solid user reviews.

So far the Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 has a lot of what I'm interested in for the price. mATX but I'm really considering a a small workstation and some expansion possibilities would be nice to have.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Asus Prime X370-Pro is the one I ordered, because it has all the features I want and it is very well priced. The Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5 or K7 are also on the list because these seem to have a good reputation for Ryzen, but they are about 50% more expensive. The ASRock X370 Taichi is about the same price as the Crosshair VI Hero, almost twice the price as the Prime X370-Pro for features I don't really care for.

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I don't know if you follow carefully ryzen gaming testing, but usually, Rise of the tomb raider was pointed out as the worst game for ryzen cpu...however, thanks to Adored TV youtube channel, that is openly critizising how press is reviewing cpu in gaming in 1080p with titan x, we could say that Rise of the tomb raider is Ryzen friendly, as the bottleneck found is on Nvidia driver...:)

Here is the link:

That reminds me of vega release....come on...:)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I don't know if you follow carefully ryzen gaming testing, but usually, Rise of the tomb raider was pointed out as the worst game for ryzen cpu...however, thanks to Adored TV youtube channel, that is openly critizising how press is reviewing cpu in gaming in 1080p with titan x, we could say that Rise of the tomb raider is Ryzen friendly, as the bottleneck found is on Nvidia driver...:)

Here is the link:
--snip--

That reminds me of vega release....come on...:)
Thank you for this. This really shows where to look when viewing, reading, hearing reviews of CPUs under gaming.