Production AM4 Brackets for CPU Coolers (C7 + others)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Alright guys. Here it is. So far,

realdeal36

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
Would the Big Shuriken 2 bracket also come with mounting hardware? I purchased a motherboard a while back and the owner surprised me with the inclusion of a BS2, but for the life of me couldn't figure out why they didn't include the whole mounting system. Right now it's just sitting in the closet waiting for a home.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Would the Big Shuriken 2 bracket also come with mounting hardware? I purchased a motherboard a while back and the owner surprised me with the inclusion of a BS2, but for the life of me couldn't figure out why they didn't include the whole mounting system. Right now it's just sitting in the closet waiting for a home.

Yeah. It should have brackets on the cooler, and a backplate. I recommend you download the manual from the manufacturer website to see for yourself. Am4 is not compatible regardless.

realdeal36

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
Just looked at the manual. Looks like they only included what was needed to install it on LGA 2011, which was the Intel bracket and #12 screws. No backplate because 2011 motherboards come with one already pre-installed. Would your solution come with its own backplate or would the end user need to buy a Noctua backplate and drill it out the short distance? And what about the screws, rubber washers, and nuts? Will they also be carried over or will you be using a different solution?

Reactions: Mikey_Esp

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just looked at the manual. Looks like they only included what was needed to install it on LGA 2011, which was the Intel bracket and #12 screws. No backplate because 2011 motherboards come with one already pre-installed. Would your solution come with its own backplate or would the end user need to buy a Noctua backplate and drill it out the short distance? And what about the screws, rubber washers, and nuts? Will they also be carried over or will you be using a different solution?

I don't think i will be doing this project further. The Reeven Brontes just released their AM4 mounting bracket, and the performance is very similar to BS2.

The issue is not enough demand and the process of making these are way too expensive. Before shipping, it costs $10 to manufacture it, about $13 per set to my door, not including the bolts, and I need to supply washer/backplate, stock it, provide packaging, shipping to end user, it'll be $25 for just some damn brackets.

I made a small batch to see what it's like, but checking the numbers and everything, I don't think it's feasible, so i'll selling what I have, but after that, I don't think it's feasible.

Sorry for the bad news guys. I'd have to make at least 100 of these, to sell it at a price you guys can stomach.

Skinz

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
I don't think i will be doing this project further. The Reeven Brontes just released their AM4 mounting bracket, and the performance is very similar to BS2.

The issue is not enough demand and the process of making these are way too expensive. Before shipping, it costs $10 to manufacture it, about $13 per set to my door, not including the bolts, and I need to supply washer/backplate, stock it, provide packaging, shipping to end user, it'll be $25 for just some damn brackets.

I made a small batch to see what it's like, but checking the numbers and everything, I don't think it's feasible, so i'll selling what I have, but after that, I don't think it's feasible.

Sorry for the bad news guys. I'd have to make at least 100 of these, to sell it at a price you guys can stomach.

Fair enough man. You've got to do what is viable, and we all benefit from people like you who push to find out what can be done. The bracket does look excellent. I'd get one if I could rotate the L9A. My build is done. It is no skyreach, but I am happy with it.

realdeal36

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
Hey man, I'll be happy to pay $25 for "some damn brackets", lol. So long as I don't have to buy another cooler.

Now... If only there was a way to get the news out about these brackets to a wider audience. I'm certain there are way more people looking for the same solution, but just haven't found this thread (doesn't even come up in a google search). I don't know if this is any way to gauge the interest for something like this, but Beansworth's post on Imgur has almost 2.9k views, and even if just an eighth of them are interested in something like this, that's ~360 people. Let's go further and say half of those people followed through with his quick and dirty mod, that's still ~180 people.

This is a long shot, but do you think there is any way that you could get Scythe to make an announcement to get the word out, then direct them to your site (or where ever you plan on selling them)? Only other thing I can think of is to make a post on Reddit in the r/sffpc subreddit.

Manull7

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 29, 2018

I'll gladly buy these as well. On my node 202 with stock cooler my cpu temp is 95 degrees.

C7 Cu is out of stock,.my BS2 is sleeping. Sigh..

DwarfLord

Average Stuffer
Oct 13, 2018

That's understandable.

My ghetto mod for the nh-l9i went better than expected, so I won't need those anyway :)

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
T318 doesn't make sense, as it's not that good of a cooler, and the mounting system isn't bracket based.

LP53 makes sense, but it is such low availability that making metal brackets isn't worth it. I can easily make a 3d printed version, that can be printed with Nylon or via Shapeways though. I'll add it on my list of To-Dos. :D
Did you ever do that? (3d printed version)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Did you ever do that? (3d printed version)

Haven't gotten around to it.

I just handled off the C7 AM4 adapter to grsychkn, maker of the S401. Hopefully he can get it produced at a reasonable price. In the meantime, I have 3 extra sets to get rid of, it'll be about $15 a set to ship to you. PM if you're interested.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I meant for the lp53.
Not quite yet.

- break-

In my infinite wisdom I forgot to send the manufacturer the updated files after I made changes so I got a bad batch.

The good news is that the attachment mechanism works just fine. Grsychkn is seeing if we can make a run of it, and likely both him and I carry stock and sell it through our respective stores provided everything is good.

Reactions: scatterforce

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
To be fair... I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for a well thought through am4 bracket for my big shuriken 2 rev b so I don't have to keep running this jerry rigged noctua mount on my rig. Am I crazy? maybe but I've had this bad boy since the first 6 core amd cpu!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
To be fair... I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks for a well thought through am4 bracket for my big shuriken 2 rev b so I don't have to keep running this jerry rigged noctua mount on my rig. Am I crazy? maybe but I've had this bad boy since the first 6 core amd cpu!

LOL. You're pretty crazy indeed. If you have calipers and can provide the exact dimensions for the big shuriken attachment points I can give you 2d files to take to a local machinist. He can likely do it for a cool 50.

I do hear that the Chinese market for AM4 brackets.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

How sketchy is the noctua mounting? I'm planning on going that route.