Motherboard [Help!] S4 Mini AM4

artimaeus

Apprentice
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
To my knowledge I'm one of the first people to attempt putting a mini itx am4 board in the s4 Mini (Biostar board cooled by a cryorig C7 btw). I'm noticing some compatibility issues that weren't there before. The cooler seems to either be taller than the origional spec, or the AM4 socket is taller than AM3+. When closed up, the fan catches on the side panel. I don't see any obvious solution other than shaving a bit off of the side panel.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
You might get more answers from the main thread, as Josh is at computex right now. There're users of the case over there who might be able to help

PS: try uploading the image to imgur instead. There are some users who have trouble loading Google Drive images embedded on this forum

EDIT: Bury me. ( /)_(\

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
To my knowledge I'm one of the first people to attempt putting a mini itx am4 board in the s4 Mini (Biostar board cooled by a cryorig C7 btw). I'm noticing some compatibility issues that weren't there before. The cooler seems to either be taller than the origional spec, or the AM4 socket is taller than AM3+. When closed up, the fan catches on the side panel. I don't see any obvious solution other than shaving a bit off of the side panel.
The cryorig c7 has never fit inside the s4 mini. As posted on the S4 NFC main page the recommended height for a CPU cooler is 40mm. The cryorig is 47mm. Now i believe the total maximum is 44-45mm but that lies flat against the case. Now that is one of the reason no one has done an AMD s4 mini yet is cause there are not that many available low profile coolers if any. Noctua i believe has announced they are making one. Your cpu choices will be limited based on the cooler you can find. The noctua cooler is recommended for 95w TDP cpus but it has not be tested or confirmed for AMD to see what it can adequately handle.