Power Supply A Guide to 12V PSU

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you get the Meanwell EPP-200-24 it will work and provide the wattage you would like. Be mindful that the Meanwell EPP-200 requires 10 CFM of airflow to work at 200W and only provides 140W of power passively.

donpatch

What's an ITX?
Mar 23, 2017
What spacers and standoffs should I get, anyone know what "4-ψ3.3" means in the spec sheet? I have no idea what the psi means...

Also, say I'm okay with using 6 wires from the 6 pin output, how do I connect that to any of the plug-in DC boards? edit: I think in this case I would need a g-unique with custom dc input?

Yeah I'm a noob at electronics besides some baby arduino breadboard projects but this seems interesting :)

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You need minimum 4mm m3 spacers.

The 6 pin you either terminate with a matching connector housing like a molex mini fit 4 pin for the mini-box or you wire straight into the plug in DC board.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Hello guys, I'm going to be building a low power system with a Kaby Lake G4620 and 1050 Ti low profile. For power I am interested in a PDCB plus Meanwell EPP-200-12. Can someone give me recommendations for a small volume case that would be good and fit these components?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Mainstream wise, I only know of the ML06/ML09 that can also fit an SFX PSU. It is around 7L.

Niche, S4 Mini can take advantage of it. Lone Industries L4, and Hutzy XS are two unreleased case that will do well.

Alternatively, you can make your own case as that component set it's fairly easy to make an acrylic case.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
I ran it straight from the Meanwell PSU. I basically just cut it, combined the 4 wires to 2 16AWG wires, and wired it direct the PSU.

If you are running the EPP-200-12, you will have 6 total pinouts from the PSU, 3 positive, 3 com. You should just run 2 pins to the PDCB, and 2 (or 4 pins) to the 4pin CPU. Should be fairly simple. I'll provide pictures of the EPP200-12 when I receive it.

Why not simply use the 4 pin ATX connector coming off the PDCB? Is there any benefit in directly wiring to the AC-DC switching?

Mainstream wise, I only know of the ML06/ML09 that can also fit an SFX PSU. It is around 7L.

Niche, S4 Mini can take advantage of it. Lone Industries L4, and Hutzy XS are two unreleased case that will do well.

Alternatively, you can make your own case as that component set it's fairly easy to make an acrylic case.

Thank you for the response. If I get the ML06 I'll just get a 300W SFX PSU that are sold on eBay for $25-30. Why pay $70-80 for PDCB, Meanwell switching, and soldering/PSU shroud if the case is already large enough for an SFX PSU?

I am considering the L4, but it's a bit expensive (over $100 USD). Might be willing to splurge if not much modification is required. I'm not sure how I feel about paying a large premium for less space. We'll see.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
1. Why not simply use the 4 pin ATX connector coming off the PDCB? Is there any benefit in directly wiring to the AC-DC switching?

This is because a cheaper PDCB cannot handle the full current of a GPU + CPU. I am currently using a $12 aliexpress one with my 1060 and G4560. You certainly shouldn't go that cheap, as the $18 pico-box one is a better choice.

2. Why pay $70-80 for PDCB, Meanwell switching, and soldering/PSU shroud if the case is already large enough for an SFX PSU?

I'm just merely pointing out the lack of any mainstream cases taking advantage of such a small form factor. Any case that can support a FLEX ATX PSU has enough space for a meanwell EPP-200.

Secondly, we are on the bleeding edge and very niche builds. The biggest reason why I went with a 12V build is the low number of wires you deal with. Building in such small spaces, when you only have to hook up 6 wires is an amazing feeling.

And finally, you'll never approach the cost effectiveness of mass-produced and mass-distributed PSUs. That's the price to pay until SFF becomes mainstream.

3. I am considering the L4, but it's a bit expensive (over $100 USD). Might be willing to splurge if not much modification is required. I'm not sure how I feel about paying a large premium for less space. We'll see.

Lone Industries has an EPP-200 in his hands :). I think he will try to support it. It is a lil' pricey, but it's low runs, and is powder coated. You have to pay to get the nice things in life!

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
1. Why not simply use the 4 pin ATX connector coming off the PDCB? Is there any benefit in directly wiring to the AC-DC switching?

This is because a cheaper PDCB cannot handle the full current of a GPU + CPU. I am currently using a $12 aliexpress one with my 1060 and G4560. You certainly shouldn't go that cheap, as the $18 pico-box one is a better choice.

2. Why pay $70-80 for PDCB, Meanwell switching, and soldering/PSU shroud if the case is already large enough for an SFX PSU?

I'm just merely pointing out the lack of any mainstream cases taking advantage of such a small form factor. Any case that can support a FLEX ATX PSU has enough space for a meanwell EPP-200.

Secondly, we are on the bleeding edge and very niche builds. The biggest reason why I went with a 12V build is the low number of wires you deal with. Building in such small spaces, when you only have to hook up 6 wires is an amazing feeling.

And finally, you'll never approach the cost effectiveness of mass-produced and mass-distributed PSUs. That's the price to pay until SFF becomes mainstream.

3. I am considering the L4, but it's a bit expensive (over $100 USD). Might be willing to splurge if not much modification is required. I'm not sure how I feel about paying a large premium for less space. We'll see.

Lone Industries has an EPP-200 in his hands :). I think he will try to support it. It is a lil' pricey, but it's low runs, and is powder coated. You have to pay to get the nice things in life!

Absolutely, the L4 is well worth the money spent with the aluminum case and powder coat, I just wish there was a steel option under 6L for the frugal types.

Fantastic explanation, you really are a pioneer for the SFF power supply standard. I for one really hope to see some Meanwell accessories come to fruition from this thread. Keep up the good work!

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017

What PDCB should I go with? Realan dc atx 150w for 18$ or Z2-ATX-200 200w 28$ both are on ali. I want to use g-unique too, but the cost itself plus shipping to me is 60-70$ already. I'll wire the 8 pin atx from meanwell 400w 12v anyway.

I've forgot to specify, I'll use it for core i5 6500 and Nvidia gtx 1050ti only.

Last edited:

raksan

Trash Compacter
May 3, 2017
Thank you for your reply. I've bought the RPS-400-12 and Z2-ATX-200 anyway. I can't resist the price as it's just 8-10usd over per item. Maybe I can use that to power a more powerful pc build in future :-)

PackedPC

Minimal Tinkerer
May 27, 2017
Bought an epp-200-12v and getting crazy coil whine when the system isn't drawing any power (e.g pc turned off) anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: pulled out the fan so it runs in 140w mode and the whining stops. Need the full 200w's though :(

Last edited:

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
Are you powering the fan off the power supply header? You could try the motherboard header and see if that makes a difference.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I think he needs the fan plugged into the PSU to enable the 200W mode? Unless the pins can just be jumped? I noticed a little noise from my EPP-200-12 when I tested it without a fan, but not crazy coil whine.