Power Supply A Guide to 12V PSU

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Dec 29, 2017
just looking for different powering options for 65w cpu (in my case i5 8400) + 1650 super/1060 + RAM + M.2
would the uhp-200-12 be fine or should i go for the 350w version?

i have found one build running a ryzen5 1400 + 1060 usind the 200w unit + pico 160xt, seemingly without any issues. since i have got the pico 160xt +192w power brick, i would use the 160xt dc-atx.

its maybe time to get a new soldering iron and a multimeter ?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
just looking for different powering options for 65w cpu (in my case i5 8400) + 1650 super/1060 + RAM + M.2
would the uhp-200-12 be fine or should i go for the 350w version?

i have found one build running a ryzen5 1400 + 1060 usind the 200w unit + pico 160xt, seemingly without any issues. since i have got the pico 160xt +192w power brick, i would use the 160xt dc-atx.

its maybe time to get a new soldering iron and a multimeter ?
I would try it. PicoPSU is quality so it should shut down safely if overloaded.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just emailed MW about their new RPS-120S, which is 120W rated at convection, and they said no plans for chassis model :(. 2x3 is real nice and small can easily turn into a dual PSU set up.

Reactions: Curiosity

comagoosie

sff is life
May 8, 2018
I didn't make more photos yet. I will make some more when my C14 connector arrives.

No weirdness with the graphics card. The connections aren't soldered. On the AC side I used this type of crimp:

Which I widened a little bit and forced on the pin.

You happen to know the part numbers / specifications for the power entry and quick connect crimp?

I paired this (expensive!! I like on-off switches) Schurter C14 entry with this molex quick connect. I had assumed that the 0.187" (4.75mm) width on the crimp was within margin of error for the 0.189" (4.8mm) width on the C14 entry, but perhaps I need to apply more elbow grease to get it to slide in.

Just emailed MW about their new RPS-120S, which is 120W rated at convection, and they said no plans for chassis model :(. 2x3 is real nice and small can easily turn into a dual PSU set up.

Shoot, thanks for checking. That's getting pretty power dense.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

I guess it would work great for a APU only build, but it seems like two of them wouldn't be much more power than the RPS-200 and a full 2" longer.

Is there any good double sided electrically isolated tape that could be used for attaching the PCB versions to a case without the need for an enclosure? I'm guessing whatever they use for the cheap heatsink double sided tape may work well?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I guess it would work great for a APU only build, but it seems like two of them wouldn't be much more power than the RPS-200 and a full 2" longer.

Is there any good double sided electrically isolated tape that could be used for attaching the PCB versions to a case without the need for an enclosure? I'm guessing whatever they use for the cheap heatsink double sided tape may work well?

They are cheap though, and their rating is continuous with a separate peak rating. For around $70, you can get a 2x6 unit with 240w continuous and 300w max.

Not sure of a tape that would be a good choice. The putty adhesive sounds like a decent choice.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So I guess I missed this during CES, but this might be of interest to folks in this thread:
FSP introduces new 12V only PSU

Apparently this is a PSU that will support some "upcoming Intel standard" which uses a 10pin connector with just 12V and 12vsb. I wonder what boards this is for, but it's interesting. Sadly it's the size of a normal ATX PSU it looks like. But this gives me hope that we may finally start to see the end of the dreaded 24pin ATX connector.

Also, I didn't realize FSP made a 330W slim brick that looks a lot nicer than the usual Dell fare, unfortunately it's a 19V or 24V part, not outputting pure 12V like the Meanwells.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
So I guess I missed this during CES, but this might be of interest to folks in this thread:
FSP introduces new 12V only PSU

Apparently this is a PSU that will support some "upcoming Intel standard" which uses a 10pin connector with just 12V and 12vsb. I wonder what boards this is for, but it's interesting. Sadly it's the size of a normal ATX PSU it looks like. But this gives me hope that we may finally start to see the end of the dreaded 24pin ATX connector.

Also, I didn't realize FSP made a 330W slim brick that looks a lot nicer than the usual Dell fare, unfortunately it's a 19V or 24V part, not outputting pure 12V like the Meanwells.

that psu is for the intel nuc9

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Intel did come out with a new PSU spec. 12V only. It was actually released 6 months ago.

It would take a few years before we get more, but it's possible for psu to support both legacy atx and atx12.

The important factor is if some motherboards manufacturers get on board or not. It'll take a couple years.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
that psu is for the intel nuc9
Intel did come out with a new PSU spec. 12V only. It was actually released 6 months ago.

It would take a few years before we get more, but it's possible for psu to support both legacy atx and atx12.

The important factor is if some motherboards manufacturers get on board or not. It'll take a couple years.
So is the 10-pin connector for the daughter board with the PCIe slots? It looks like the NUC Element board itself uses an 8-pin EPS as its power input, nothing proprietary. Where was the standard published?

I hope this becomes a thing - there are already lots of server-ish ITX boards that allow for direct 12V input (usually using EPS though) in lieu of the ATX connector, maybe this will encourage more small boards to save space and forgo the giant plug.

@Thehack - where is this Intel spec published?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Hopefully it pushes PC's into the direct 12v space

Reactions: Jello

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
3 12V pairs.

This seems appropriate for a single 75W slot, and a 150W CPU. We really don't need that many wires, CPU EPS included. 4 pins will power the majority of CPUs just fine. It'll probably be 2-4 years before we see any mainstream effect.

Hopefully, J-Hack will be in a good position to take advantage of some of these features.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So the only "new" pin in this design is the +12Vsb, otherwise all the other pins already exist on the current 24-pin. Interesting, this might mean that PSUs could be "dual mode" in the future if designed for it, which means traditional PSUs could be compatible with 12VO motherboards, but obviously not the other way around.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So the only "new" pin in this design is the +12Vsb, otherwise all the other pins already exist on the current 24-pin. Interesting, this might mean that PSUs could be "dual mode" in the future if designed for it, which means traditional PSUs could be compatible with 12VO motherboards, but obviously not the other way around.

It is still possible for dual compatibility both ways. In mass quantity, an additional DC-DC circuit for 5V, 3.3V is $1-3. Usually raw cost is 1/3 of retail cost.

Right now, the SF series uses a 10 + 18 pin. A theoretical PSU can split those pins up in a way that one of those connectors handles ATX12 and the other handles the rest.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
It is still possible for dual compatibility both ways. In mass quantity, an additional DC-DC circuit for 5V, 3.3V is $1-3. Usually raw cost is 1/3 of retail cost.

Right now, the SF series uses a 10 + 18 pin. A theoretical PSU can split those pins up in a way that one of those connectors handles ATX12 and the other handles the rest.
Exactly what I saw thinking. But you'd have one pin unused (12vsb) when using a 24pin, and then only 9 pins used with the ATX12VO cable. Am I understanding it correctly?

@Thehack, If you wanted to adapt your ATX 24pin DCPB to this new standard and make it 10pin, how much work would it be to add a 12vsb? Is that trivial? Just trying to guage the likelihood of PSU makers adopting this extra pin for the scenario you described.

grbh

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2019

I am using this one currently with a 3400G with the 120W PicoPSU in a Goodisory/Xpbox A01. With Precision Boost Overdrive enabled I´m getting boosts up to 4.2 Ghz and the highest I´ve seen on my cheap power meter is 106W consumption for the whole system. I´ll still need to do something about cooling this thing, but will post about the build in the Builds section once it´s complete.