Hello, I understand these are the GPU restrictions from the ncase product page:

Maximum card length:

• 317mm in slots 1 & 2
  • 279mm in slot 3
Maximum card height:

• For cards up to 317mm, or for cards in the third slot: 111mm
  • For cards up to 292mm in length in the first or second slot: 140mm
  • For all cards: 120mm at the PCIe power connectors
Graphics cards with PCBs which extend to the full height at the corners will not fit in the M1, due to interference with the chassis. See this post for more information.

I have a Zotac 2080 AMP with these dimensions:
308mm x 113mm x 57mm (12.13in x 4.45in x 2.24in)

1.) This is probably a stupid question- but a micro ITX motherboard only has one PCIE slot- how do I even decide if the GPU goes in slot 1, 2 , or 3?

2.) A bit confused about the PCB "extending to full height" warning. By the linked pictures it sounds like it's saying if you see the top connectors extend past the body- then it won't fit? So this is my video card- https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431192-REG/zotac_zt_t20800d_10p_geforce_rtx_2080_amp.html
is it incompatible?

Also the CPU restrictions say this:

Coolers are limited to 130mm in height with the side bracket installed, and no fan installed.

• When mounted, coolers cannot extend past the top edge of the motherboard by more than ~10mm. For many larger coolers, this limits motherboard choice to those with centrally-located sockets.
  • Large coolers that extend past the front of the board preclude use of the 3.5" HDD cage.

I have a wraith AMD cooler (came with 2700x). 3.) Why would they provide a height restriction without a CPU fan installed? - Obviously you can't just have a heatsink on or the CPU will overheat.

Thanks so much for the help!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
1.) This is probably a stupid question- but a micro ITX motherboard only has one PCIE slot- how do I even decide if the GPU goes in slot 1, 2 , or 3?
Slot number starts at the top, so a regular dual-slot card occupies slots 1 and 2. The image linked in the compatibility section on the M1 product page on SFFLab shows the slots numbered:

2.) A bit confused about the PCB "extending to full height" warning.
It means that if the PCB extends to the height limit for that slot (i.e., 140mm for slot 1 and 2), then it'll have problems at the corners where the chassis features will interfere. Again, refer to the above diagram and note the "rear corner height exclusion."

I have a Zotac 2080 AMP with these dimensions:
308mm x 113mm x 57mm (12.13in x 4.45in x 2.24in)
This card won't fit, not because of the height (113mm is fine for all three slots), but because it's triple slot and too long for the third slot, where the limit is 279mm. The front I/O ports occupy that space at the front of the case in the third slot, so what will happen is the card's cooling shroud will run into them at the front.

A possible workaround may be to remove the card's stock fans and shroud, and replace them with a pair of 120mm fans on the floor of the case, though I can't guarantee that will work with this specific card.

Also the CPU restrictions say this:

Coolers are limited to 130mm in height with the side bracket installed, and no fan installed.

• When mounted, coolers cannot extend past the top edge of the motherboard by more than ~10mm. For many larger coolers, this limits motherboard choice to those with centrally-located sockets.
  • Large coolers that extend past the front of the board preclude use of the 3.5" HDD cage.

I have a wraith AMD cooler (came with 2700x). 3.) Why would they provide a height restriction without a CPU fan installed? - Obviously you can't just have a heatsink on or the CPU will overheat.
You can attach fans to the side fan bracket, independent of the CPU cooler's own fan, but doing so obviously reduces the available height for the CPU cooler by the thickness of the fan. So for example, you couldn't mount a fan over a Noctua U9S because the cooler needs 125mm, but a fan takes up 25mm of the available 130mm, leaving only 105mm.

I believe all of the downdraft Wraith coolers are well within the available height limit, so you should be fine with whichever one you have.

Reactions: Phuncz