NCase M1 + MAXIMUS XI Gene (3-slot MATX) seems to be OK

MelonGx

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Motherboard's official site
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-GENE/overview/

This motherboard has an 244mm (length) x 226mm (height) 3-slot MATX form factor.

From this picture, I think it should be able to fit in NCase M1.
But in order to install this motherboard, we need to dismount the original PSU bracket and DIY a custom PSU bracket inside the enclosure towards the front.

This motherboard has two slots:
Slot-1 for PCIe x4.
Slot-2 for PCIe x16.
That means we can only choose <279mm 2-slot VGA card to put it on NCase M1's Slot 2-3.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Someone over on [H] has already started on a similar project, so it looks like it is possible.
Most powerful NCase mATX build yet?? Bring it on!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Pretty cool, my question is wtf do you need dual 8 pin power on a z390 board. Good thing the SF750 has the connectors for it.

Soofington

Case Bender
Mar 11, 2019
Using this motherboard forces you to change the standard orientation of the PSU. Consequently, as a result, you're no longer able to mount an AIO if you have the vented version. Has anyone figured out how to mod the case so you can accompany both?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Using this motherboard forces you to change the standard orientation of the PSU. Consequently, as a result, you're no longer able to mount an AIO if you have the vented version. Has anyone figured out how to mod the case so you can accompany both?

Perhaps mod the top plate to hold the AIO, or use a 92mm AIO on the rear exhaust. A short video card and bottom mounted AIO might work.

Or just mount a large air cooler.

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
So what's the word on this?
I saw that someone had successfully test fitted the ROG MAXIMUS XI Gene and an SF600 power supply in the Ncase M1 on the [H] thread.
Also, is the 279mm GPU limit due to SFX-L length? With the SF750 being the only dual EPS capable SFX PSU I'm aware of, shouldn't it's shorter length clear the GPU?
Also, what are people planning to do with the extra PCIe x4 slot?
4K@60 capture card
10Gbit NIC
Another NVMe SSD (total of x5)
Thunderbolt 3 add-in card
RAID/HBA card
Sound card
Heavy duty wifi?

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I really wish a "plus" variant of the M1 was made for mATX boards.

I agree, but also have to admit I've been all over on variants of the M1; wanting both smaller and larger versions. That said, I might run a Cerberus ATX for my next system when I build it in a few years. That said, if there was an M1 MATX version that kept the relative proportions of the original, I would buy it. A little longer, a little taller, a little wider. 140mm fans at the bottom and on the sides. 280mm AIO. ..... yeah I would buy one.

Reactions: invictusism

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
To be fair, the main practical advantage of the X470 over the B450 is SLI support. Neither CF or SLI are all that popular (both by design and lack of popular support).

Everything else it brings (more PCIe lanes from the chipset, more SATA, more USB 3 gen1 - gen2 support is the same between the two) are almost never taken advantage of, when it comes to mATX boards (AMD or Intel).