Ncase M1 V5 (Windowed) - Cooling Options

Limit760

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
Hello All,

I'm very new to SFF Pc's and have never built in the NcaseM1.

So i've got a bit of a question when it comes to cooling and necessity of fans in the Ncase M1 - V5.
I've just purchased this case and I had some questions into the specifics of what the windowed unit allows/does not allow for cooling options.

I currently own a 120mm aio - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120
I was hoping to use this to cool my cpu, obviously. Is there a preferred location for this? Because I've got the windowed unit, the bracket that people tend to put 240mm rads on isn't there. So i'm thinking maybe the rear of the case will house this?

Or is it not worth it? And just go with a Be Quiet Darkrock TF or Noctua NH-U9S

And my secondary question, I've got a MSI RTX 2060 Ventus XS, (2-slot card) and i see lots of people running the low profile Noctua NF-A12x25 fans X2 on the bottom underneath the card, i'm assuming inserted in the intake orientation. Is this recommended? And would i need the PWM version or is this dictated by what ports i've got?

My motherboard, the ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX
1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin) - The CPU Fan Connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power.
- 1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin) - The Chassis Fan Connector supports the chassis fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power.
- 1 x Chassis/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control) -
The Chassis/Water Pump Fan Connector supports the water cooler fan of maximum 2A (24W) fan power.
CHA_FAN1/WP can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.

I also see Noctua makes even thinner fans, instead of the standard A12x25 they make NF-A12x15.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
IMO keep it simple - go with the Noctua NH-U9S and skip the bottom intake fans. Your GPU should have plenty of cooling performance on its own.

Orient the U9S such that it blows towards the back of the case, and get a 2nd 92mm fan that exhausts out the back of the case.

Limit760

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
I was hoping to avoid it, since I already own the AIO, but i'm just curious if it would fit, or even where i'd be able to mount it.

Otherwise, per your recommendation I have purchased a 92mm Noctua fan to go on that back ventilation area. Thank you!

What are your thoughts on the Be Quiet! Dark Rock TF?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I was hoping to avoid it, since I already own the AIO, but i'm just curious if it would fit, or even where i'd be able to mount it.

Otherwise, per your recommendation I have purchased a 92mm Noctua fan to go on that back ventilation area. Thank you!

I've never used it, sorry. I think it's well liked if it's comparable though

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

The only place to mount a 120mm AIO in the Ncase is the side fan bracket. The rear fan is 92mm.

Limit760

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
I've gone ahead and purchased basically the setup recommended in this video: So it's the NH-U9S with two of the NF-B9 redux black fans. I've ordered an additional NF-B9 redux fans for the back ventilation area. Let's hope this works!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I've gone ahead and purchased basically the setup recommended in this video: So it's the NH-U9S with two of the NF-B9 redux black fans. I've ordered an additional NF-B9 redux fans for the back ventilation area. Let's hope this works!

Take a look at this post over on [H]ard, M1AF did extensive testing in the Ncase with several coolers including the NH-U9S, with and without TG side panel. He shows the fan setup he used that gave him the best results.

Optimum also is using an Arctic Accelero III which exhausts all of the GPU heat out the bottom of the case, if you don't have the same setup expect higher CPU temps from the GPU exhaust.

Last edited:

Limit760

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
Ahh. Okay i see. I ended up doing the 92mm redux fan on the case for exhaust, having the two redux fans on the NH-U9S in a push pull towards the rear of the case, no fans on the bottom and i'm hoping that works out for me. I may try sticking a fan under the right side, since my gpu isn't taking up the full length at the bottom and see if that helps at all, considering there's no intake besides the gpu pulling air from the bottom.

Zutko

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2019
Hi. I'm to this forum and I need help. Just bought Ncase m1 ( windowed) and I'll be running a 9700K with kraken X52 and a itx gpu ( 1060 aero itx).
Q1: Can i run kraken X52 with noctua low profile fans with that aero itx gpu if placed on the bottom?
Q2. I Also have noctua UH-9B would that be enough for the CPU? I am not planing any heavy overklocking or so. Will use the pc for music production and play Cs go That is it.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-aero-itx-review,1.html

This is the gpu

brainberry24

Case Bender
Apr 7, 2019
Hi. I'm to this forum and I need help. Just bought Ncase m1 ( windowed) and I'll be running a 9700K with kraken X52 and a itx gpu ( 1060 aero itx).
Q1: Can i run kraken X52 with noctua low profile fans with that aero itx gpu if placed on the bottom?
Q2. I Also have noctua UH-9B would that be enough for the CPU? I am not planing any heavy overklocking or so. Will use the pc for music production and play Cs go That is it.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-aero-itx-review,1.html

This is the gpu
I dont think you can mount a 240 rad with the windowed version.

spyd3rman

Efficiency Noob
Mar 21, 2019
I dont think you can mount a 240 rad with the windowed version.

A different take on this question: Can you mount a 240 mm radiator at the bottom as intake with the windowed version, if not using a discrete GPU (iGPU, rather)? I would think so, as the space occupied by a GPU would be "freed up" for space that could be used by that rad?

[ thx in advance for your advice - I haven't been able to nail this down for certain ]