8700k in the dan a4

adamik17

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
Could you help me choose a cooler and a motherboard for the 8700k? I'd like the motherboard to have at least one m.2 header. I'm willing to delid the cpu if it improves temps significantly.

Thank you in advance.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I am not sure if it's any help, but I am running an 8700K in my A4 on an Asatek 545lc. It's at stock voltage and not delidded. Even delidded I think you need to under volt the 8700K on air in the A4.

J-R

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2019
delidded 8700k running 4.7 at 1.23v with asetek 545. z370i strix. goes up to around upper 70 ish with cpu intensive games like BV5, but mostly stays in 60s for most games.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@adamik17

Motherboard: Choose whatever you want. Don't buy $200 ITX boards because you can't overclock inside the A4-SFX.
You can cool it with an Noctua L9i if you follow these steps:

1) If you allready bought the 8700k go to step 2 if not get an 8700 none K because it will have the same gaming performance and is cheaper.
2) Setup "Long Power Duration Limit" to a value bweteen 80 and 95W. This will give a huge thermal drop while only losing 2% gaming perf.
3) Play with undervolting via offset mode a good value to start is -0.05V.
4) Keep in mind you do this on your own risk but if you like to skip step 2 you can also delid your CPU.

Extra information: The TDP (Thermal design power) value on the CPU carton (8700k = 95W) is speciefied on the situation that the CPU will run like this:

but on modern motherboards the 8700k will run 4,7 Ghz on all Cores. This will result in a TDP of ~150W and together with the intel TIM (Thermo-Interface-Material) you need a big cooler or water cooling to handle this. Playing with "Long Power Duration Limit" will force the CPU to run in Intel specs and it will be much easier to cool the CPU.

Tsuchinoko

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2018
@adamik17

Motherboard: Choose whatever you want. Don't buy $200 ITX boards because you can't overclock inside the A4-SFX.
You can cool it with an Noctua L9i if you follow these steps:

1) If you allready bought the 8700k go to step 2 if not get an 8700 none K because it will have the same gaming performance and is cheaper.
2) Setup "Long Power Duration Limit" to a value bweteen 80 and 95W. This will give a huge thermal drop while only losing 2% gaming perf.
4) Keep in mind you do this on your own risk but if you like to skip step 2 you can also delid your CPU.

Extra information: The TDP (Thermal design power) value on the CPU carton (8700k = 95W) is speciefied on the situation that the CPU will run like this:

but on modern motherboards the 8700k will run 4,7 Ghz on all Cores. This will result in a TDP of ~150W and together with the intel TIM (Thermo-Interface-Material) you need a big cooler or water cooling to handle this. Playing with "Long Power Duration Limit" will force the CPU to run in Intel specs and it will be much easier to cool the CPU.

The information was very helpful, thank you!
I am cooling 9900K with Asetek 545LC, but it has very heat. Would you please tell us about the recommended BIOS settings for 9900K?

trundrumbalind

Efficiency Noob
Jul 30, 2018
I am not sure if it's any help, but I am running an 8700K in my A4 on an Asatek 545lc. It's at stock voltage and not delidded. Even delidded I think you need to under volt the 8700K on air in the A4.

Hey Pedro, I'm running the same setup as you, and I just cant manage to close the front of the case.... the asetek's tubing gets in the way no matter what I do. Did you manage to round this?

fatpolomanjr

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2019
4) Keep in mind you do this on your own risk but if you like to skip step 2

Playing with "Long Power Duration Limit" will force the CPU to run in Intel specs and it will be much easier to cool the CPU.

I have a Gigabyte B360n motherboard, and apparently they've disabled BIOS control of long power duration limit at Intel's request, without the option to roll back to a previous version with the setting. Is it possible to do this with software like Intel XTU? I could only find decent prices on an 8700k, otherwise I'd have just bought an 8700. I'd rather not get a different motherboard.

Is the Asus Strix Z370-i really compatible with the black ridge and 120mm fan (assuming you have vlp ram)? I only got the gigabyte b360n because I read it is compatible.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
B360N User Manual Page 23. The Option is called "Power Limit TDP (Watts) / Power Limit Time " If this Option does not exists any longer you can use XTU.