Concept 8.7 Liter 320*85 Case with 120*38 Rad+Fan "CLDS" V2

iAvoe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
It didn't took me long, but a huge amount of brainstorm to get an upgraded version of this project, now it's named CLDS referring Clundus, a random name that also took me long to generate :)

Disclaimer: I don't own this design

As you can see, the drawing is much better, and the tilted GPU design has been removed because of air channel changes

This way of cooling maximizes the heat sink volume for processor, and I think a 120*38 radiator with the same thickness fan is going to be able to handle an EPYC in full load with no problem, and the case is actually smaller than original!

The GPU slot is supposed to handle a 3 slot full length card. I just didn't draw it out this time XD

The MB air channel is also beyond desktop level, it also help takes some heat from the GPU

And that's what I've come out this time, what do you guys think?

Edit: the 2 fans on top of motherboard is 80*80*25mm

Update: New dimension is
Vertical GPU: 330L 95W 320H

Length: extended 10mm length for better cabling and radiator compatibility, possible to route PCIE power around the fan

Width: Correcting IO shield dimension + leave room for reinforcements

Horizontal GPU: 330L 147W 220H

As picture below:

Last edited:

iAvoe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
It didn't took me long, but a huge amount of brainstorm to get an upgraded version of this project, now it's named CLDS referring Clundus, a random name that also took me long to generate :)

Disclaimer: I don't own this design

As you can see, the drawing is much better, and the tilted GPU design has been removed because of air channel changes

This way of cooling maximizes the heat sink volume for processor, and I think a 120*38 radiator with the same thickness fan is going to be able to handle an EPYC in full load with no problem, and the case is actually smaller than original!

The GPU slot is supposed to handle a 3 slot full length card. I just didn't draw it out this time XD

The MB air channel is also beyond desktop level, it also help takes some heat from the GPU

And that's what I've come out this time, what do you guys think?

Edit: the 2 fans on top of motherboard is 80*80*25mm
For cabling, 10mm clearance is not enough to pull out cable from PSU, but I took the fan's hollow structure as free space, so it should be no problem

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
85mm isn't wide enough for a 1U PSU + minimum required clearance around the motherboard. The latter need at least 51mm, so you're looking at 91.5mm for just the components, at a minimum. That's not taking into account the thickness of the case itself or any additional clearances needed for fasteners etc.

iAvoe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
85mm isn't wide enough for a 1U PSU + minimum required clearance around the motherboard. The latter need at least 51mm, so you're looking at 91.5mm for just the components, at a minimum. That's not taking into account the thickness of the case itself or any additional clearances needed for fasteners etc.
I don't see where are fasteners needed(according to design, the side panel will have 8 longer screw holes to hold 2 80mm fans), and if the ram stick is too high, we can just take off it's heat sink. I don't see any other components are taking the height, but I think you are probably right and I just have weak understanding, sorry about this lol

iAvoe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
I think the clearance you are saying is a combine of VRM and chipset heat dissipation, RAM stick height, 24pin power cable height. However they are all solved here, so now I'm trying to figure out what others you could be referring to

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So there's a couple things that aren't immediately apparently if you haven't delved into the specs. First is that the I/O shield has a keepout zone around the perimeter of the shield cutout, which should be free of any bends, fasteners, etc. (It also extends past the edge of the motherboard by a few mm on one side, so the total width for the board is actually ~175mm rather than 170mm)

Second is the minimum required standoff height of 6.35mm (1/4").

Combine these together and you get ~51mm:

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Great start! You should consider flipping the GPU as you may get more exhaust from your MB cooling dumped onto your GPU than you want.

iAvoe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Great start! You should consider flipping the GPU as you may get more exhaust from your MB cooling dumped onto your GPU than you want.
Hmm, it does shrink the size vertically but extends it's thickness, that may change the psu to a sfx one I guess

Reactions: Killinger