Funding 3M PCIe 16x cable - custom length for sandwich cases [pre-order / group purchase]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Gathering feedback for 3M PCIe 16x (good for 4.0) riser cable in custom length (26cm). Let me know if you are interested.

I am contacting the manufacturer for bulk order discount and I am hopeful I can get the price down. I cannot confirm the price at the moment, it depends on the quantity we can pool together. Initial target is around USD65 + shipping (from HK).

As reference, digikey is currently selling 25cm for USD86.47 + shipping (USD10) = approx. USD96 total

Specification:
Riser Cable - PCIe 16x (good for ver 4.0)
Cable - 3M / Length - 26cm, end to end

3m-pcie-desc.jpg

As most of us here in SFFF know, although there is no official PCIe 4.0 16x standard riser cable out there, 3M seems to be the best one out there at the moment, in terms of compatibility. However the ones commonly offered are in 25cm (a little bit short) or 50cm (too long) for typical sandwich style cases. Ideal length will be around 26cm (connector to connector, full length). As such, I have ordered a sample for myself to test out and the extra length gives it a bit of slack and lower risk of over stretching and breaking the cable.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
How might this riser cable do in the Mesh-Licious chassis, with the needed 45° bend...? And will the extra length (over the stock riser cable, which is 18.5cm in length) be sufficient for use with a slightly longer mobo (C8I mDTX, of course)...?!? Thanks...!

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
How might this riser cable do in the Mesh-Licious chassis, with the needed 45° bend...? And will the extra length (over the stock riser cable, which is 18.5cm in length) be sufficient for use with a slightly longer mobo (C8I mDTX, of course)...?!? Thanks...!
As mentioned, it will be standard sandwich style cases, which does not include those that require 45° bend. And I have no idea if there is a common length for those e.g. meshlicious / NZXT H1, etc.

Anyway it would be better if the maker of those cases support their product with their own cables directly...

Hector

Cable Smoosher
Dec 28, 2019
Speaking about 45 degrees bend, what is the length needed for that setup? I would place myself in this pre-order group for a cable that would be good for that bend. I was eyeing a 3M because it looks pretty foldable.

REVOCCASES

SFF Guru
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Not 3M, but this one here looks actually pretty foldable:

I was planning to get one and try it out but currently I do not have PCIe 4.0 compatible hardware to test it... 😕

Reactions: tinyitx

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Speaking about 45 degrees bend, what is the length needed for that setup? I would place myself in this pre-order group for a cable that would be good for that bend. I was eyeing a 3M because it looks pretty foldable.
please ask the case creator, and let us know here😅

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Not 3M, but this one here looks actually pretty foldable:

I was planning to get one and try it out but currently I do not have PCIe 4.0 compatible hardware to test it... 😕
prefer the flat, I don't think it is good for the cables to be bunched up... The reason for the cables to be flat is to ensure the length is as close to being the same as possible. Different lengths = bad signal

REVOCCASES

SFF Guru
Bronze Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Well, not sure if a slight difference in length would cause issues as long as the shielding and conductor quality is fine. I mean the 3M also uses two separate flat cables for data plus one flat cable for power. But yeah, if the 3M is easily bendable I would also prefer that one. ;)

Reactions: tinyitx