Concept 300W PC on a 160 pico PSU, crazy concept?

MAking props

Case Bender
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Okay, First off, if I am saying something crazy, please, tell me in the comments because I am certainly no expert, but I know enough to think about this crazy concept.

So, the idea is simple yet hard to explain hope you all can follow.

I am assembling a small pc with a custom diy case made out of 3D printing and all that. the thing is that according to https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator the components that I chose for my system consume a lil bit over 300W. that is no problem for one of this pico PSU power supply that are rated for 300W as they usually are capable of delivering a few more that what they are advertised for.

The problem is that it doesn’t fit in my case! the only one that fits is the usual 160w or 250w pico psu that plug into the 24 pin like this one.

So... the 12v power supply that I am going to use for this build is capable of delivering 12v at 33.3A (THAT’S 400W!!) so the idea is:
I use that 12v of that power supply to power the 160w pico PSU, that is more than enough for the motherboard, storage units and ram. And then, I can wire every single yellow and black wire for the CPU 8 pin and the GPU 8 pin (yellow wire is +12v always) directly to the 12v output of my 400W PSU!! also, the fans and LED that I use are 12v!!

This way, the 150W GPU and the 65W CPU (that’s 215W) are fed directly from the main PSU and the pico PSU has power enough to power the rest.
Now this is assuming that the 12v that the PSU provide are stable, but if they are, is something that I thought wrong here? cause everything here seems logic. what do you think?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, First off, if I am saying something crazy, please, tell me in the comments because I am certainly no expert, but I know enough to think about this crazy concept.

I am assembling a small pc with a custom diy case made out of 3D printing and all that. the thing is that according to https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator the components that I chose for my system consume a lil bit over 300W. that is no problem for one of this pico PSU power supply that are rated for 300W as they usually are capable of delivering a few more that what they are advertised for.

The problem is that it doesn’t fit in my case! the only one that fits is the usual 160w or 250w pico psu that plug into the 24 pin like this one.

So... the 12v power supply that I am going to use for this build is capable of delivering 12v at 33.3A (THAT’S 400W!!) so the idea is:
I use that 12v of that power supply to power the 160w pico PSU, that is more than enough for the motherboard, storage units and ram. And then, I can wire every single yellow and black wire for the CPU 8 pin and the GPU 8 pin (yellow wire is +12v always) directly to the 12v output of my 400W PSU!! also, the fans and LED that I use are 12v!!

This way, the 150W GPU and the 65W CPU (that’s 215W) are fed directly from the main PSU and the pico PSU has power enough to power the rest.
Now this is assuming that the 12v that the PSU provide are stable, but if they are, is something that I thought wrong here? cause everything here seems logic. what do you think?

Get a G-Unique. Problem solved. He does DC-DC units up to 500W.

Drummist

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 7, 2022

Hi...just seen this post. Was wondering if you sorted the psu problem?