Stalled 3.5L HTPC Case- Made for Ryzen!

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
The cords are the biggest issue with those... The thick c14 extender cable would make the case overly wide. I considered it...
Have you considered Flex-ATX PSUs parallel aligned to the mobo, sitting underneath it, just like they did with GPUs on the Dan-A4?

The rest of the space underneath the mobo could be used to house more than one SSD/HDD and the overall volume would be only slightly increased. :)

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
@Thehack, i'd love to help you with ideas. Since i lost the Project Jolokia batch, i come here only looking for nice small HTPCs that can do light gaming and support only half-height GPUs.

If you need any help, let me know. I started learning CAD recently and that would be a hell of a trainning for my modest skills.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack, i'd love to help you with ideas. Since i lost the Project Jolokia batch, i come here only looking for nice small HTPCs that can do light gaming and support only half-height GPUs.

If you need any help, let me know. I started learning CAD recently and that would be a hell of a trainning for my modest skills.

For low quantity why not use laser cut panels and 3d printed parts?

Here's a project I had.

There was not enough interest to start a small batch run but you don't need to order 20, just 5 will allow you to use larger sheets for laser cutting.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016

Durability.

I travel a lot (most of my long term friends live miles away from me) and the 3D printing jobs we've got here in brazil are... "awful", to say the least. That adds up to the fact that hardware in here tends to be expensive as hell.

With that in mind, i prefer the strenght of steel, instead the low cost of acrylic or 3D printing composites.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Durability.

I travel a lot (most of my long term friends live miles away from me) and the 3D printing jobs we've got here in brazil are... "awful", to say the least. That adds up to the fact that hardware in here tends to be expensive as hell.

With that in mind, i prefer the strenght of steel, instead the low cost of acrylic or 3D printing composites.

The smaller you go, the easier it is to make it durable. I produced one that used wood panels, and used an external brick. That one felt very durable but I understand.

If you're based in Brazil it would be hard to design and manufacture one since you can't handle logistics when most of your market is outside your country.

---

For your personal use, I think it would be simplest to modify a case or use one with a brick. I modified MX500 case to include an internal psu and use a pico type psu. It worked very well.

And aside from that, I'm still shopping around for price quotes to see if it is feasible or not. I'll get in contact with slinger as well.

Assuming you get the case designed to where you want it, are you looking to get it produced? Or are you just frustrated that the market has not made something for you?

Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Assuming you get the case designed to where you want it, are you looking to get it produced? Or are you just frustrated that the market has not made something for you?

Gaming in HTPCs is a very specific niche and, as such, production and selling should be made by kickstarter or some kind of group funding.

With that in mind, i bet a few of my fellow countryman would be interested in such computer case.

If your brazilian portuguese is good enough, check this out: https://adrenaline.uol.com.br/forum...s-minitowers-lanboxes-topico-dedicado.375773/

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
You should use a C6 to ground the case.

You probably don't need the vents on the rear panel, as the zone above the io cover is for in take. Might save a couple dollars there.

Vents removed, and I could use a c6 connector. I hope you guys know how to solder....

Have you considered Flex-ATX PSUs parallel aligned to the mobo, sitting underneath it, just like they did with GPUs on the Dan-A4?

The rest of the space underneath the mobo could be used to house more than one SSD/HDD and the overall volume would be only slightly increased. :)

Considered it, but Like I said before, cables are a HUGE issue. That's why I vetoed it.

Here's a project I had.

There was not enough interest to start a small batch run but you don't need to order 20, just 5 will allow you to use larger sheets for laser cutting.

Basically read below- plus, I wanted a steel case from the start.

Durability.

Thank you for you comments, they have been duly noted, and I should have an updated model in a few weeks.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Okay, so 6 people are interested. If the protocase quote is similar to what sliger will do, that's around 130 a case, not including c6 connector, power button, and shipping. I'm going to see if there is any interest on [H].

Samsquamptch

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2016
As this case is the only apu centric, hdplex 160 ac dc friendly, metal, and non passive case of its kind, I don’t mind paying a steep price. It would be nice to garner more support so it’s not as spendy though.