Log [12V] LiGHTPC ...a 5L gaming HTPC...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Powering components ready to go inside the case!

Nothing fancy such as sleeved cables for this build, simple black 'ribbon' wires will do!
That's also for simplicity that I've decided to use the Wago connectors instead of soldering wires together. And after all I find them cleaner that multiple Y wires with heatshrinks, I will see if I do something for their orange part later ;)

Pretty much the Pro version of the twisted-wires-wrapped-in-electrical-tape or maybe more akin to screw-in terminal blocks
Certainly a lot quicker and easier than stripping, crimping, plugging, testing, swearing, repeat.

Honestly thinking I should do this to shorten my cables. Would let me validate lengths as a PoC before ordering or making custom ones too.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Great post
Thanks!

Pretty much the Pro version of the twisted-wires-wrapped-in-electrical-tape or maybe more akin to screw-in terminal blocks
Certainly a lot quicker and easier than stripping, crimping, plugging, testing, swearing, repeat.

Honestly thinking I should do this to shorten my cables. Would let me validate lengths as a PoC before ordering or making custom ones too.
For a PoC you could have a look at the Wago 222, they may be cheaper. Or there are lots of clones of both 221 and 222 in aliexpress.

Ok, pictures time! :cool:

Putting everything together into the case was pretty straight forward.

First check with the stock CPU cooler, to match the RAM color :p

The MeanWell PSU

M2426 close-up

Back of the case

Custom power inlet and reset switch

The 1660Ti side

As you can see, there is less than a couple millimeters free on top of the PSU, and a little more on its left.
The vertical space available is barely enough to slide the PSU into the case, as it has to be done at an angle because of the outer fold of the case frame. That's what made the scratches on the bottom of the PSU you can see on the pic I posted a few days ago

As mentionned shortly earlier, there is room for a fan under the GPU, more precisely for a 80x16mm. It 'clicks' perfectly inbetween the PSU and the frame and could almost stay in place by itself

This one has been brought back from an old Dell computer. Fast and noisy it seems

And... the computer turned on at the first start! 🎆
I'm really enjoying these clean 12v builds with so few wires!

I'm afraid though I don't have any picture of the PC running at that stage. :confused:
That will be for the next upate, stay tuned!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks!

For a PoC you could have a look at the Wago 222, they may be cheaper. Or there are lots of clones of both 221 and 222 in aliexpress.

Ok, pictures time! :cool:

Putting everything together into the case was pretty straight forward.

First check with the stock CPU cooler, to match the RAM color :p

The MeanWell PSU

M2426 close-up

Back of the case

Custom power inlet and reset switch

The 1660Ti side

As you can see, there is less than a couple millimeters free on top of the PSU, and a little more on its left.
The vertical space available is barely enough to slide the PSU into the case, as it has to be done at an angle because of the outer fold of the case frame. That's what made the scratches on the bottom of the PSU you can see on the pic I posted a few days ago

As mentionned shortly earlier, there is room for a fan under the GPU, more precisely for a 80x16mm. It 'clicks' perfectly inbetween the PSU and the frame and could almost stay in place by itself

This one has been brought back from an old Dell computer. Fast and noisy it seems

And... the computer turned on at the first start! 🎆
I'm really enjoying these clean 12v builds with so few wires!

I'm afraid though I don't have any picture of the PC running at that stage. :confused:
That will be for the next upate, stay tuned!
Gorgeous! Love the build. And those Wago connectors fit impressively well in there.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Gorgeous! Love the build. And those Wago connectors fit impressively well in there.
Agreed, and with the PSU pushing the Wago connectors against the case they are almost fixed there.

Reactions: Valantar

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Great 12v build thanks for sharing! The thin 80mm cooler master fan is 16mm too if I recall and I liked the noise profile better than the thin 80mm noiseblocker fan in case you want something different.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Great 12v build thanks for sharing! The thin 80mm cooler master fan is 16mm too if I recall and I liked the noise profile better than the thin 80mm noiseblocker fan in case you want something different.
Thanks for the tip, I was indeed eyeing the Noiseblocker one, and since they are both $25 I will try to get the Cooler Master instead!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the tip, I was indeed eyeing the Noiseblocker one, and since they are both $25 I will try to get the Cooler Master instead!
not that it really matters, but note the CM fan is 3 pin, while the NB is 4 pin. NB is also 1mm thinner.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
New PSU format is born?..:)
Not so new but the MeanWell PSU / M2426 combo definitely works well and saves a lot of space along with less cables to deal with!

The Intel stock cooler didn't stay for long, you bet, and I've started to replace it by the ID_Cooling IS-60 EVO.
But during this operation, while looking at the CPU heatsink... I had to do it again!

And the new cooler

Time now to check the temps at load and see if the extra 80mm slim fan is needed.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Not so new but the MeanWell PSU / M2426 combo definitely works well and saves a lot of space along with less cables to deal with!

The Intel stock cooler didn't stay for long, you bet, and I've started to replace it by the ID_Cooling IS-60 EVO.
But during this operation, while looking at the CPU heatsink... I had to do it again!

And the new cooler

Time now to check the temps at load and see if the extra 80mm slim fan is needed.
You know what you have to do now. Come on, say it with me: Direct die! Direct die! Direct die!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
O this delidding reminds me so bad/nasty time from Intel...
Fingers crossed this bad habit won't come back soon

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but why the meanwell and the additional PCB's in lieu of a flex ATX?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
sorry if this comes across as a stupid question, but why the meanwell and the additional PCB's in lieu of a flex ATX?
Mainly because of the noise of the Flex fan, and also to reduce the number of cables.
It was also good opportunity to test the great M2426 device with a 12V PSU, and all the fun of putting all this together by myself! :)