Log [12V] B01T3 ...a 3L Brickless APU Build...

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You could always put something insulating in between the heatsink and NAND. Even a couple layers of paper might be enough to avoid them getting noticeably warmed up.
Yeah I had something like that in mind, will try with some foam sticked to the heatsink.
Waiting for a proper M.2 length heatsink to arrive, so that it will stay centered above the M.2 drive. I just hope it will be as much efficient as my home made one...

Reactions: Valantar

APU_enthusiast

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2021
I also have a 3400G, Aorus B450 ITX, 970 Evo+ system but slapped together with the AMD stock cooler in a 10L case. 3L brickless-ness is really inspiring.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Got my new M.2 heatsink, it weighs 9g vs 21g for my custom one.
As talked about before, some (white) foam has been added to prevent the heatsink from touching the NANDs area.

And now for the new results with the SM benchmark:
- The EVO plus controller hit a max of 64°C (NAND T° max 59°C)
- The EVO controller didn't get past 58°C (NAND T° max 54°C)
I redid the Samsung magician's benchmark, and got a max temp of 71°C for the Evo controller (59°C for the NAND).
It obviously performs a bit less but it's still ok I guess.
Ambient temp can also be a factor, as I am also getting warmer temps with the EVO plus today (67°C controller / 60°C NAND)

I will keep an eye on these temps during common tasks usage.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Finally made a little cap to hide the enlarged USB holes I made initially for additional switches.
That's what I had in mind

But the letters were to tiny to be incorporated into the 3D print, so I kept it simple

After some light sanding, no holes on the side of the case anymore!