GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
out of curiousity what happens when you crank up or force AA to 8X?
OK so weird... not sure what test you meant specifically, but in FurMark at 2560x1440 with GSync ON, and at 8X AA, there is little to no coil whine. Like if I wasn't trying to listen to it, I couldn't hear it. In games with maxed out AA and resolution (Fallout 4 and WoW) I am able to hear it. When there are no games going, it is inaudible. It is as if when the GPU core is between ~10%-~70% utilized, the coil whine is the most prevalent.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Fallout and WoW have alot of 2D interfacy stuff that seems to exacerbate coil whine worse than other titles. I'm not in front of a Nvidia machine at this minute, but you might be able to play with AA settings in your control panel. Try morphological filtering and see what happens.

Of course you could always just turn your sound on or wear headphones while gaming. That also can work. XD

Good luck!!!

Reactions: Reldey

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@Reldey The coilwhine is really dependant on the game. Hitman. Coil Whine. GTA V. Coil Whine. Alien Isolation. No coil whine. I think more demanding titles that push the card cause the whine. That being said, the whine was the fault of the HDplex300. When I swapped out the PSU for my Corsair SFX, no coil whine was present.

When I swapped my 1080 to the 1070. Still got whine. Turned down settings in GTA. Still whine. Even at 1920x1080. Undervolted card. Still whine. Yuup , no escaping it.

This is on a i5 6500 + 16gb ram. H170 Mobo.

The new HDPLex is supposed to fix these issues. I ordered one, and will report back when I receive it.

Reactions: Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
@Reldey The coilwhine is really dependant on the game. Hitman. Coil Whine. GTA V. Coil Whine. Alien Isolation. No coil whine. I think more demanding titles that push the card cause the whine. That being said, the whine was the fault of the HDplex300. When I swapped out the PSU for my Corsair SFX, no coil whine was present.

When I swapped my 1080 to the 1070. Still got whine. Turned down settings in GTA. Still whine. Even at 1920x1080. Undervolted card. Still whine. Yuup , no escaping it.

This is on a i5 6500 + 16gb ram. H170 Mobo.

The new HDPLex is supposed to fix these issues. I ordered one, and will report back when I receive it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not too hopeful for mine given I am already running off a Corsair Sfx 600 watt and am still getting whine, but we will see what happens when plugged up to the HDPlex. It really isn't that bad with GSync turned on, not enough to make me want to return it or anything.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My GTX 1080 Mini also buzzes when not limited by V-Sync or heavy AA, it's a common phenomenon in some models of graphics cards.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Just a small update, in the Nvidia control panel, I enabled FastSync under the vertical sync settings, and have found that the buzzing has reduced dramatically. It is still auidble, but not nearly as annoying. This in addition with high levels of AA seems to help.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
From Nvidia settings:

Adaptive: Limits the GPU render rate similar to VSYNC On, however if render rate drops below the refresh rate will allow tearing. Good compromise between latency and visual clarity.

Fast: GPU renders unconstrained similar to VSYNC Off, but does not tear since frames in excess of the refresh rate of the monitor are dropped. Delivers latency that is very close to VSYNC Off with no tearing.

I'm going to try it. It's funny how I can hear a kind of "sucking" buzzing sound coming from the GPU when I switch the modes.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Hey has anyone tried removing the stock fans and strapping two Noctua 92mm low profile fans to it? Curious what method may have been used to strap them down.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hey has anyone tried removing the stock fans and strapping two Noctua 92mm low profile fans to it? Curious what method may have been used to strap them down.
Look through the S4 mini thread and maybe ask there, i THINK i remember someone (maybe @DocH) tried some noctua fans, idk which one(s) though.

Edit: yup i was right, it was DocH

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I removed the stock fans and strapped two 80mm fans to it. You may be able to fit 92mm fans if you custom made the mount but from my measurements it would be cutting it close especially with the heatsink on the gtx 1080 mini and edges of the case.

Reactions: SkudShark

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
I removed the stock fans and strapped two 80mm fans to it. You may be able to fit 92mm fans if you custom made the mount but from my measurements it would be cutting it close especially with the heatsink on the gtx 1080 mini and edges of the case.
Ah OK, I saw the black thin fans and SWORE someone managed to get Noctua's offerings on it. Maybe I'm just imagining at this point.

Either way I managed to get them to mail me two of the high rpm thin fans from their coolers, will see what I can manage with them :)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Ah OK, I saw the black thin fans and SWORE someone managed to get Noctua's offerings on it. Maybe I'm just imagining at this point.

Either way I managed to get them to mail me two of the high rpm thin fans from their coolers, will see what I can manage with them :)
dude thats awesome that you got them to mail you two the the OFFICIAL fans, with the extended RPM range. :D that'll make your 1080 mini even quieter since the RPM range goes lower, and actually goes higher than the normal fans!

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
dude thats awesome that you got them to mail you two the the OFFICIAL fans, with the extended RPM range. :D that'll make your 1080 mini even quieter since the RPM range goes lower, and actually goes higher than the normal fans!

I forget who, in the S4 official thread, but they took photos of the 1080 TI mini which appears to use the same cooler, and the Noctua Fans on top were still under the height of the i/o port plate, so I am hoping this works.

As for Noctua, GREAT company. Emailed them about this, at first they said no they are not for sale individually from the cooler and then asked why I wanted them. Explained the build, need for low profile but high static pressure and quiet, and sent them a pic of the S4 case. They responded back positively and were like, lets get you two asap!

So Kudos Noctua! :thumb:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I forget who, in the S4 official thread, but they took photos of the 1080 TI mini which appears to use the same cooler, and the Noctua Fans on top were still under the height of the i/o port plate, so I am hoping this works.

As for Noctua, GREAT company. Emailed them about this, at first they said no they are not for sale individually from the cooler and then asked why I wanted them. Explained the build, need for low profile but high static pressure and quiet, and sent them a pic of the S4 case. They responded back positively and were like, lets get you two asap!

So Kudos Noctua! :thumb:
DUDE that's awesome, Kudos to Noctua for sure! I can almost forgive the brown/beige styling because of how cool they are as a company!

You should send them pics of the completed project as a thank you! And maybe nudge them to package and sell those better "expanded RPM range" CPU cooler-only fans, seperately. I mean it's more money for them, I'm sure people would love it!

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
And maybe nudge them to package and sell those better "expanded RPM range" CPU cooler-only fans, seperately. I mean it's more money for them, I'm sure people would love it!

And another nudge for a colour change, or is that asking too much? XD

Is there any likelihood the Zotac 1080 mini will get released with the revised 11Gbps memory? Or does the Ti variant cancel out the need for that? Still...

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
And another nudge for a colour change, or is that asking too much? XD

Is there any likelihood the Zotac 1080 mini will get released with the revised 11Gbps memory? Or does the Ti variant cancel out the need for that? Still...
You can just overclock your 1080 Mini memory to 11 Gbps, mine is overclocked to that level already, runs fine.. :D

Reactions: Broxin and br3nd0