GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Prices are going way up on this card, bought mine three days ago for $520 off the egg, now they are going for $640 everywhere (without a free copy of Destiny 2). The 1070 mini also looks like it is going out of stock. Not sure when supplies will come back, but seems odd. Bitcoin miners?

Yeah, I noticed the jump in price since I bought mine even a week ago as well. The 1070's are better for mining ethereum, but the 1080 can mine other altcoin's fairly well. I think with the ethereum mining 'gold rush' happening, people are simply buying whatever they can even it if takes longer to get a return. The RX 470, 480, 570, and 580's were the first to go. The 1070 and 1060's were next. Now with 1070's going for the price of a 1080 or more, that really only leaves the 1080 if you're in need of a card now, whether for mining or gaming.

Reactions: Acalanata

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
I'm mining Zcash with mine, and converting to ETH and LTC. Profits are pretty awesome right now. ^_^ Mining ETH is a little silly with Nvidia, when other coins pull a better profit margin. Between just my 1080 and 1080Ti, I'm getting between $17-22 per day depending on the market fluctuations. I told my co-workers, and they're all built mining rigs with 6x 1070's, haha.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Got mine in today, it is whisper quiet at load. I have heard some people criticize the noise, but I haven't heard much of anything. I have it installed in my Node 202 about 3 feet from my head and can't hear a thing. I'll keep testing though...

EDIT: OK, I was wrong. It must have been the ambient noise in my apartment ealier, but now in the dead of night this thing makes a decent amount of noise. Not sure I want to flash a BIOS< but is there a tool you guys have used to just adjust fan curves?

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
On the testbench (meaning parts just laid out on my desk without an enclosure at all,) the gtx 1080 mini was a boss at handling whatever I threw at it, I like it! Current build teaser with the 1080.

Wow, which mainboard is that?? Supersmall :)

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Reactions: Acalanata

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
Oh, yeah still the connectors are not on the RAM slots side, pretty space saving. So which mobo is it in your build?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Oh, yeah still the connectors are not on the RAM slots side, pretty space saving. So which mobo is it in your build?

I think it is a Biostar board (looks like a Hi-Fi B85N 3D). The layout you are referring to is an "older" style from the earlier days of mini-itx. In my opinion I am very happy that most manufacturers have adopted the newer layout that puts the power block and connectors opposite the I/O.

Peace!

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
So in my Fractal Node 202, I decided to remove the fans from my 1080 Mini and place a Noctua NF-A12x15 in its stead. When removing the heatsink, I noticed some pretty pad scratch marks on the copper plate which made contact with the GPU. Not sure if that was normal. I cleaned the paste off, and repasted with Arctic Silver 5 (only decent thing I had around). Using the standard fan mount in the Node 202, I was able to get great temps, 28c idle, 68c load. Excited to place this in the S4 Mini. These temps were captured with the case basically open, I'll try it with the case enclosed, and will report back later.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Is the noctua fan much more quiet than the stock gpu fan?
Yes, by a good margin. There is some noise, but I attribute that to the poor cutouts for the fan on the Node 202 that is blocking a portion of the fan blades on the right side. I don't have tool to measure the DB, but it has been noticeably quieter.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@Reldey I had a 1080 mini and took it apart. I didn't notice any scratch marks on the copper plate. I do not think this is normal. I also replaced the fans with Noctua fans. You should get one of these to run the fans directly off of the GPU. Another user posted you can also flash the bios with another Zotac 1080 card to get 0db below 65c.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So in my Fractal Node 202, I decided to remove the fans from my 1080 Mini and place a Noctua NF-A12x15 in its stead. When removing the heatsink, I noticed some pretty pad scratch marks on the copper plate which made contact with the GPU. Not sure if that was normal. I cleaned the paste off, and repasted with Arctic Silver 5 (only decent thing I had around). Using the standard fan mount in the Node 202, I was able to get great temps, 28c idle, 68c load. Excited to place this in the S4 Mini. These temps were captured with the case basically open, I'll try it with the case enclosed, and will report back later.

@Reldey I had a 1080 mini and took it apart. I didn't notice any scratch marks on the copper plate. I do not think this is normal. I also replaced the fans with Noctua fans. You should get one of these to run the fans directly off of the GPU. Another user posted you can also flash the bios with another Zotac 1080 card to get 0db below 65c.

I usually remove the heatsink from all my GPUs. Some are better than others, but in my experience this is pretty normal. The cold plates don't come out perfectly flat and they don't want to put the time into perfectly lapping them, so you see variation in how they are quickly leveled. Sometimes they don't sand at all, but others they do...like yours, Reldey.

Reactions: fminus

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I usually remove the heatsink from all my GPUs. Some are better than others, but in my experience this is pretty normal. The cold plates don't come out perfectly flat and they don't want to put the time into perfectly lapping them, so you see variation in how they are quickly leveled. Sometimes they don't sand at all, but others they do...like yours, Reldey.

Interesting, is this a bad thing? Should I do anything about it? I guess cleaning the cold plate and adding more paste is all I can do. My temps are looking good at least.

EDIT: also, is it ok if my sleeved GPU fan header to PWM case fan adapter cable rests on the heatpipe of the GPU, or should I reroute it? Not sure if the temps were enough on the pipe to cause damage to the cable.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Interesting, is this a bad thing? Should I do anything about it? I guess cleaning the cold plate and adding more paste is all I can do. My temps are looking good at least.

EDIT: also, is it ok if my sleeved GPU fan header to PWM case fan adapter cable rests on the heatpipe of the GPU, or should I reroute it? Not sure if the temps were enough on the pipe to cause damage to the cable.

You could lap it but it would be a waste of time really. Your temps are fine.

As for the heatpipe...no, those stay fairly cool, and even if it got as hot as your core it wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Also noted today, my card has mean coil whine on load when GSync is disabled. With GSync enabled, the coil whine is still present but inaudible at about 3 feet away while playing games. I have a 144hz monitor for reference. Pretty disappointed honestly in the overall build quality of the card, but what can you do when you want a 1080 at this size?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Also noted today, my card has mean coil whine on load when GSync is disabled. With GSync enabled, the coil whine is still present but inaudible at about 3 feet away while playing games. I have a 144hz monitor for reference. Pretty disappointed honestly in the overall build quality of the card, but what can you do when you want a 1080 at this size?

out of curiousity what happens when you crank up or force AA to 8X?