GPU Finding the sweet spot

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi all,

As some might have read in my posts, that I have some issues with GPUs.

I started with 2 Gigabyte GTX 1080's (150w) from the Gamingbox, but they had this really annoying tune to which was produced by the fan.

Then a Zotac GTX 1080 mini (180w) but that had really annoying coil whine and drew so much power that my S4M reset itself.

Now after some searching I came to the EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming (120w) which is quite since fan only spins when needed, but when they do the bearing makes a annoying buzzing sound aswell, as a little coil whine when in game.

Now while in game with the GTX 1080 cards I could play Destiny 2 on max settings with over 200 FPS, if reduces to 60 with Vsync to reduce some coil whine it was really nice, because if you spend a lot of money on a good build you want to have the best.

Now when I play on the GTX 1060 SC Gaming I notice that on max settings I only reach about a avg of 38 FPS, big difference in FPS and will also make a lot of noise.

Now Im searching for that sweet spot, a card with low noise while underload, fits the new S4M, has a low power consumption and let you play modern titles with 60 FPS.

If you know a card let me know :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I don't think there is such a thing as a card with guaranteed lack of coil whine. I'd recommend tweaking undervolts/overclocks and stuff to see if you can shift the frequency through the inductors (I think these are normally the culprits) so the unit quiets down or the frequency of the coil whine moves outside of your hearing range.

Zuuk

Average Stuffer
Apr 17, 2016
I'll give my vote for the regular Gigabyte 1080 mini. Mine has very little to no coilwhine (Hdplex 400 has more whine).
It can produce some fan noise if you stress it hard and run it at max settings. I powerlimited my card to 65% and set the fan profile to quiet mode. It stays nice and quiet, doesn't break 75c when gaming and produces enought frames for my 4K monitor to be enjoyable.