GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

Lionard

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2017
thats because when you flashed the BIOS it also flashed a new default core clock to it.
Yes, but the new boost clock on the flashed bios should be the normal boost clock from the 1080 amp (idk 60MGhz higher than the mini edition) but it is much more than 60, something like 120 idk...

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Yes, but the new boost clock on the flashed bios should be the normal boost clock from the 1080 amp (idk 60MGhz higher than the mini edition) but it is much more than 60, something like 120 idk...
I'm not sure why that it happening. But you should know that the GPU is fine with overclocking itself, since once you go into a game, GPU Boost 3 takes over and it can overclock the card up to 2000+ MHz just fine. Either way an few extra MHz are no problem for the card at the base clock.

Nuclearranger

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2017
So, if I have a Zotac 1080 TI in my node 202 that is by far the loudest part of the case. What are my options? I assume for the TI all we can do is rip off the fans and mount some noctuas onto it?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Considering the Node 202 has notoriously bad airflow, you may want to consider modding it to improve the supply of cool air to the card. I'd be much more inclined to chop up an eighty dollar case than void warranty on my six hundred dollar GPU. Furthermore if the GPU isn't getting air, I'm not sure a fan mod on the Zotac is going to change much.

Reactions: Broxin

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Considering the Node 202 has notoriously bad airflow, you may want to consider modding it to improve the supply of cool air to the card. I'd be much more inclined to chop up an eighty dollar case than void warranty on my six hundred dollar GPU. Furthermore if the GPU isn't getting air, I'm not sure a fan mod on the Zotac is going to change much.

Jah

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 30, 2017
Dear guru,
as a noob, I don't understand how to use code lines in nvflash. When I open it, I get a lot of options and "press enter to continue or q to quit". I just can't enter any command. What do I do wrong ?
Thanks in advance, I can't bear this unstopping fan noise when not gaming hard !

Jah

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 30, 2017
I managed to do the whole stuff, it succeeded (zotac 1080 ti mini bios flashed ok) but I am still blocked at 45% fan... Any idea ?

Jah

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 30, 2017
Dear Cuban Legend,
I did it with a regular Ti Mini, I thought it was possible to do have a "non blocked fan" but it is not. I don't know how to edit bios so I will stay with this noisy Ti. Thanks
Best

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
So I just did this bios flash before reading the entire thread. Apparently there is a consequence regarding the HDMI and display port no longer sending audio out.

It took me a while to figure out why I no longer had audio (HDMI to HDMI). It was the new bios flash!

And therefore, I had to revert back to the original bios or gain back my audio.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

I don't think the fan speeds are adjustable at all with the stock bios.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I think it just depends on how similar the card you have is to the card whose BIOS you're flashing.

For example, if you card has two fans and you flash with BIOS from a card that has only one fan, you might only see one of your fans working. In the case of your audio not working, my best guess would be that perhaps the ports are laid out physically differently or just addressed differently in the BIOS, something like that.

But that's all speculation on my part, I don't know much of anything about this. The only way I could try to figure out more as a lay person would be to try another 1080 Ti's BIOS and see what happens. If you were comfortable doing that.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
So I just did this bios flash before reading the entire thread. Apparently there is a consequence regarding the HDMI and display port no longer sending audio out.

It took me a while to figure out why I no longer had audio (HDMI to HDMI). It was the new bios flash!

I've also gone back. Not because of the display issues but because my GPU RAM was stuck at 405MHz, and not detected by GPU-Z, afterburner and Zotac firestrike. CubanLegend's BIOS had the same issue. Only the BIOS that came with the card works (It's a later version).

CubanLegend also went back beacuse of the HDMI audio issue, so he could not get it working.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Dear Cuban Legend,
I did it with a regular Ti Mini, I thought it was possible to do have a "non blocked fan" but it is not. I don't know how to edit bios so I will stay with this noisy Ti. Thanks
Best
sorry you werent able to get your attempt to work like you wanted to :(

yeah i had the same issue,there isnt any solution except for going back to the stock BIOS...

stock BIOS allows you to adjust the fan speeds with a curve using software like MSi Afterburner, but not below a certain percentage.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
stock BIOS allows you to adjust the fan speeds with a curve using software like MSi Afterburner, but not below a certain percentage.
That's correct. The lowest fan speed value is 37%. That's pretty loud compared to 26%, which is almost dead silent. It's too bad we can't go below 37% fan speed on stock bios .

carthorn

Case Bender
Mar 13, 2018
I've also gone back. Not because of the display issues but because my GPU RAM was stuck at 405MHz, and not detected by GPU-Z, afterburner and Zotac firestrike. CubanLegend's BIOS had the same issue. Only the BIOS that came with the card works (It's a later version).

CubanLegend also went back beacuse of the HDMI audio issue, so he could not get it working.
@brt02 can you post that version of the bios please?