Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
Yeah, I think what I was trying to say with the price deal is that it's not really "worth it" unless it can get significantly lower. For somebody paying $380 for a case, I doubt there's much difference to them to pay $400 or even $450, especially if they get the product sooner (although it sounds like sooner is not a possibility at any price, unfortunately).

KongCav

Cable Smoosher
Apr 27, 2020
With the gen 4 riser being available for purchase with new Batch 2 orders, I'd like to also add it to my kickstarter pledge. Is this possible somehow?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I just realized that Linus used a Barrow CPU block with Koolance fittings in the build video. I thought that wasn't an option with the maximum cpu clearance height of 70mm? I was under the impression that Barrow + Koolance was around 72-73mm? I might have missed a post about this since I haven't checked in a while.

Also I don't mind waiting till end of 2021 to get my cases, its not the end of the world for me and I get how volatile everything can be right now. So keep up the good work.
Thank you!

To answer your question, the Barrow CPU Block + Koolance Fittings was possible because LTT reached out to me beforehand, and they sanded 1mm off the top of the block where the fittings screw in. It's a relatively simple mod, but also a pretty low risk one. Just be sure to sand with that surface DOWN (do not get shavings into the res, they might destroy the pump). It did require a teeny bit of modding to fit.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm is it possible to get the pcie 4.0 riser as early adopter? (ordered in silver last year :p)

With the gen 4 riser being available for purchase with new Batch 2 orders, I'd like to also add it to my kickstarter pledge. Is this possible somehow?

We are planning a way to make the upgrade option available to Batch 2 Kickstarter Backers. You will hear more about it in the next Winter Design Update :).

Note: A few of you from Batch 1 have contacted me about this, as well. We won't have parts in hand until later this year, so we cannot offer it to Batch 1 Kickstarter backers at this time.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Yeah, I think what I was trying to say with the price deal is that it's not really "worth it" unless it can get significantly lower. For somebody paying $380 for a case, I doubt there's much difference to them to pay $400 or even $450, especially if they get the product sooner (although it sounds like sooner is not a possibility at any price, unfortunately).

Yeah, I get what you're saying. And yup, that's really the issue -- Sooner just isn't really possible at the moment :(

frio

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2021
Thank you!

To answer your question, the Barrow CPU Block + Koolance Fittings was possible because LTT reached out to me beforehand, and they sanded 1mm off the top of the block where the fittings screw in. It's a relatively simple mod, but also a pretty low risk one. Just be sure to sand with that surface DOWN (do not get shavings into the res, they might destroy the pump). It did require a teeny bit of modding to fit.

Thanks, this is really useful info -- I've been very keen on a Barrow and the Linus video gave me hope I could run one. This will be harder than the video made it look, but is still in the realms of the doable.

DoctorGrims

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2020
Thank you!

Time to get my filing set out then. Good point about the shavings, I'll put some sticky putty in the ports so they won't go in.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks, this is really useful info -- I've been very keen on a Barrow and the Linus video gave me hope I could run one. This will be harder than the video made it look, but is still in the realms of the doable.

Time to get my filing set out then. Good point about the shavings, I'll put some sticky putty in the ports so they won't go in.
the pump that comes with the block has the metal heatsink installed as stock. if you don't want to do sanding, can just replace that with a flat plastic / acrylic plate to fit in the case. I did that to fit the Aquanaut in the T1 3-slot mode as below.

First time water cooling! There was spillage but it's all good now!

Reactions: Qzrx

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
the pump that comes with the block has the metal heatsink installed as stock. if you don't want to do sanding, can just replace that with a flat plastic / acrylic plate to fit in the case. I did that to fit the Aquanaut in the T1 3-slot mode as below.
I may have misunderstood, but it seems to me that the problem is not the heatsink but the place where the water inlet and outlet fittings are screwed.

@WinterCharm wrote : "
To answer your question, the Barrow CPU Block + Koolance Fittings was possible because LTT reached out to me beforehand, and they sanded 1mm off the top of the block where the fittings screw in.
"

If I have to mount a Waterblock / Pump compo, I will keep the AD II, but I doubt it, at the moment, the mounting that suits me best is the one of @mxj1 without the MORA and the HT :). Using the Phanteks Glacier is great too, but I don't know how to screw it into the case. Clean, isn't it?

The waiting days seem long ...

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Just received my case today!
Man am I looking forward to upgrading my Ghost S1 to W1 :)
If you're willing, it would be awesome if you took pictures around the build process, and shared them with us :D We want to fill our community page with everyone's builds. :)

Also, Update 21 will be posted later today :)

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

About 7:07 into this video, he mentions using a much smaller case earlier the same day with the same setup, and getting better temps than the huge case in this video. Guessing that's a surprise endorsement for the Winter One ;).

I just watched the part you're referring to, along with his 'pre-overclocked' explanation and couldn't help but think that W1 has effectively raised the bar...

Also, I did a little bit more work with the neo pixel and case switch.

video

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I just watched the part you're referring to, along with his 'pre-overclocked' explanation and couldn't help but think that W1 has effectively raised the bar...

Also, I did a little bit more work with the neo pixel and case switch.

video

It's that a single 360 + 240 is worse than dual 280's, and most of the case is glass, which is impervious to air :p

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update #21: Status Update on Batch 1, Batch 2 Clarification, and Gen 4 Riser Upgrade Information

General Updates​

• 24 Batch 1 cases shipped this week.
  • 9 more Batch 1 cases are going out on Monday
  • We’re waiting on a shipment of Front Panels that didn’t arrive as scheduled. It’s the main barrier in shipping out more cases.
  • Total Batch 1 fulfillment (including cases that that are en-route) is now at 79%

Batch 2 information​

• We’ve had a few backers reach out about their silver cases, and it appears that there is some confusion about Batch 2. Batch 2 includes Kickstarter Silver Orders + Batch 2 Website orders.
  • The production of parts that overlapped with Batch 1 Black was completed for both sets of Kickstarter orders. However, silver exterior parts have not been produced yet, as we need to hit minimum order quantities to hit price targets for production.
  • We’re continuing to take Batch 2 orders on our website, in order to hit the MOQ we need in to complete Batch 2 production.

Kickstarter Batch 2 Gen 4 Riser Upgrade​

Those of you who are part of Batch 2 Kickstarter, and would like to upgrade to a certified Gen 4.0 Riser Cable can do for $31. Please follow the steps highlighted below.

• Message me on Kickstarter about a Gen 4 Cable upgrade
  • I will send you a PayPal link
  • Once paid, I’ll put you down for the 4.0 riser, and you’ll receive it with the case
  • The deadline for this upgrade is June 15th, since we’ll need enough time to source these parts.
Note: Gen 4 Risers will not be available until later this year, and therefore, this upgrade is not being offered to Kickstarter Batch 1 at this time.

Petzaa

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Finally got around to post the pictures of the building process.

Album

Building in the case was really simple, however cable management was tougher than in other cases due to the lack of places to tuck cables behind. But with a bunch of strips it worked out nice in the end.
For some reason the GPU bracket does not really stay in place, maybe I did something wrong here.

I also stole the PCIe riser cable from my Ghost S1 ;)