Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
Mind sharing what pump/res combo you're looking at?
Aquacomputer aqualis ddc 100ml. Dimensions on the site say its 62x62x133mm w/o pump. DDC pump adds about 22mm or so, I test fitted in my CAD model. Looks doable but it'll be quite the effort!

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
o
Aquacomputer aqualis ddc 100ml. Dimensions on the site say its 62x62x133mm w/o pump. DDC pump adds about 22mm or so, I test fitted in my CAD model. Looks doable but it'll be quite the effort!
I think the easiest pump/res combo would be the barrow. Never got around to using it in my T1, but it’s the smallest footprint I found.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Update #17 is Live!

General Updates

• A shipment arrived today, containing 45 parts, bringing our totals to 2719 / 3085 parts (88.1%)
  • Another delivery is scheduled for tomorrow
  • We need side panels before we can begin shipping
  • Blueprint posters have been printed and signed

QC and Packing Updates

The 2674 parts that passed QC’d have now all been moved from being laid out in neat grids, to being properly encased in foam, and stacked as trays that can be packed with ease.

Today’s shipment of 45 parts will be QC’d and added to the foam tonight. Stacks of foam that contain all the QC'd parts have been set aside and marked as ready for shipping. We are awaiting side panels right now, and as soon as we have them, we’ll start shipping in order of backer number.

Blueprint Poster

A few of you had the blueprint poster add-on in your order. They’ve now been printed and signed. It’s a hand annotated exploded view blueprint of Winter One on a vinyl poster that’s roughly 33x23 cm (13x9 inches). Each poster is signed by the two co-founders of Winter Design, and only 20 have been made. Here's what they look like:

That's all for now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow's shipment -- if it has side panels, we can begin shipping! :)

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
o

I think the easiest pump/res combo would be the barrow. Never got around to using it in my T1, but it’s the smallest footprint I found.
Oh yeah for sure, that's the barrow cube ddc pump/res, right?

I like the Aqualis for purely aesthetic reasons :)

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Been a while since I last visited this thread. Any consensus on a good pump/res combo? Last time I checked, the borrow cpu/pump block was not compatible. Are there any other good options out there?

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Blueprint Poster
A few of you had the blueprint poster add-on in your order. They’ve now been printed and signed. It’s a hand annotated exploded view blueprint of Winter One on a vinyl poster that’s roughly 33x23 cm (13x9 inches). Each poster is signed by the two co-founders of Winter Design, and only 20 have been made. Here's what they look like:

Poster looks awesome. Need to find a nice frame now.

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020

UPDATE 16: Preparing for Launch

Quick Updates​

• Over the last week, we QC’d 887 parts
  • Packaging foam arrived today; it looks excellent, but I want to keep the unboxing a surprise
  • We are expecting another shipment of parts tomorrow
  • Additionally, the second-to-last shipment of parts is arriving later this week or early next week, which means we can start shipping cases.
  • The final shipment of parts contains remakes of QC rejects, and its arrival (est. late next week) will allow us to finish shipping Batch 1
  • Rev 7 of the User Manual is now more readable and contains cable lengths!

QC and Part Shipments details​

All 2592 parts currently in our possession have passed QC3.

Currently, we have 2,592 out of 3,085 parts. This is 84% of the amount that we need to ship cases. 144 parts are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, which will bring the total number of parts up to 2,736 out of 3,085, roughly 89% of what we need to ship cases.

An additional 282 parts are on the way to be delivered later this week or early next week (awaiting tracking information). This will bring our total up to 3,018 / 3,085. 98% of parts needed, at which point we can start shipping cases!

As soon as we are able, we will begin shipping cases in the order of backer number. We expect to receive a final shipment containing the remaining 67 parts (QC remakes) late next week, at which point we will be able to ship out any remaining cases in Batch 1.

User Manual Update​

Winter One Manual v12 Rev 7 is now live. Changes include:
  • An improved font for better readability
  • A table of cable lengths for those of you making custom cables (note: these are taken from the *center* of each cable)
  • Added a water cooling loop guide, including guidance on setting up countercurrent flow for solid panels.
  • Revised the Air Cooling fan curve for less noise with no performance loss
  • Added Warranty Information All Winter One cases come with a 10 Year Limited Warranty
  • Minor spelling / grammar fixes

That's all for now. Fingers crossed for the last 2 shipments!!! :)
Oh man....You guys even provided the recommended water loop orientation. What's next? Shipping with dual Black Ice 280GTS?? lolll Just joking. The best ITX case manual ever. Period.

Reactions: Qzrx

zk2004mb

Average Stuffer
May 23, 2020

UPDATE 16: Preparing for Launch

Quick Updates​

• Over the last week, we QC’d 887 parts
  • Packaging foam arrived today; it looks excellent, but I want to keep the unboxing a surprise
  • We are expecting another shipment of parts tomorrow
  • Additionally, the second-to-last shipment of parts is arriving later this week or early next week, which means we can start shipping cases.
  • The final shipment of parts contains remakes of QC rejects, and its arrival (est. late next week) will allow us to finish shipping Batch 1
  • Rev 7 of the User Manual is now more readable and contains cable lengths!

QC and Part Shipments details​

All 2592 parts currently in our possession have passed QC3.

Currently, we have 2,592 out of 3,085 parts. This is 84% of the amount that we need to ship cases. 144 parts are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, which will bring the total number of parts up to 2,736 out of 3,085, roughly 89% of what we need to ship cases.

An additional 282 parts are on the way to be delivered later this week or early next week (awaiting tracking information). This will bring our total up to 3,018 / 3,085. 98% of parts needed, at which point we can start shipping cases!

As soon as we are able, we will begin shipping cases in the order of backer number. We expect to receive a final shipment containing the remaining 67 parts (QC remakes) late next week, at which point we will be able to ship out any remaining cases in Batch 1.

User Manual Update​

Winter One Manual v12 Rev 7 is now live. Changes include:
  • An improved font for better readability
  • A table of cable lengths for those of you making custom cables (note: these are taken from the *center* of each cable)
  • Added a water cooling loop guide, including guidance on setting up countercurrent flow for solid panels.
  • Revised the Air Cooling fan curve for less noise with no performance loss
  • Added Warranty Information All Winter One cases come with a 10 Year Limited Warranty
  • Minor spelling / grammar fixes

That's all for now. Fingers crossed for the last 2 shipments!!! :)
Oh man....You guys even provided the recommended water loop orientation. What's next? Shipping with dual Black Ice 280GTS?? lolll Just joking. The best ITX case manual ever. Period.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Thank you. We've been hard at work on the manual, to make sure it at least answers some of those common questions. We took a bunch of time to do all the hard work to collect a bunch of data, and it would be really silly not to use that to provide recommendations to people building in the case.
Been a while since I last visited this thread. Any consensus on a good pump/res combo? Last time I checked, the borrow cpu/pump block was not compatible. Are there any other good options out there?
A lot of people are currently finding ways to cram D5's in there. One of the best "easy" pump / res combos is using a low profile DDC pump block under the GPU, and that way you can have a full length block. A nice DDC pump res can fit behind a shorter GPU with relative ease, as long as it's not too wide. A D5 is easy to put in IF you go with a bottom 140mm radiator, but can be difficult to fit in, if you're doing bottom 240/280.

For a small pump/res combo that will fit nicely behind a shorter GPU, the Bykski mini DDC pump/res is one option, while the Barrow DDC pump / res is another good option. Another thing you can do is grab the OG Liang DDC 3.2 PWM pump (Liang original pumps are typically the most reliable and highest quality pumps you can get) and add an Alpahcool Eisdecke pump top for it.

Of course, all of these are "easy fits". If you're going to throw something more robust / complicated in there, by all means, go for it. Just be ready for the typical SFF challenge of finding creative ways to extract every possible mm from the area :)

Last edited:

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
A lot of people are currently finding ways to cram D5's in there. One of the best "easy" pump / res combos is using a low profile DDC pump block under the GPU, and that way you can have a full length block. A nice DDC pump res can fit behind a shorter GPU with relative ease, as long as it's not too wide. A D5 is easy to put in IF you go with a bottom 140mm radiator, but can be difficult to fit in, if you're doing bottom 240/280.

I'm only planning on a single 140 rad with fan, and hopefully a 15mm or 25mm fan next to it to push air, at the bottom and still having difficulty finding a d5 res combo, or a d5 with top and a stand alone res, that'll fit ... seems like it's the spine spacing that's giving everybody issues. If there were just a weeee bit more room it'd be a slam dunk.

For solid panels the loop recommendation is to run the cpu and gpu blocks in serial and have the rads in serial. With the pump on the gpu side, and there's a good chance I'm being real dense, it looks like two tubes are going to be traversing the spine? One from cpu block back to gpu block and one from pump / gpu to top rad port on the mb side ... assuming that bottom rad mb side port is going directly to cpu block.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm only planning on a single 140 rad with fan, and hopefully a 15mm or 25mm fan next to it to push air, at the bottom and still having difficulty finding a d5 res combo, or a d5 with top and a stand alone res, that'll fit ... seems like it's the spine spacing that's giving everybody issues. If there were just a weeee bit more room it'd be a slam dunk.

For solid panels the loop recommendation is to run the cpu and gpu blocks in serial and have the rads in serial. With the pump on the gpu side, and there's a good chance I'm being real dense, it looks like two tubes are going to be traversing the spine? One from cpu block back to gpu block and one from pump / gpu to top rad port on the mb side ... assuming that bottom rad mb side port is going directly to cpu block.
IMO if you're running a drive cage or bottom pump + 140, don't bother with the second fan. CFD indicates It will not make a meaningful difference to airflow, as it is open to the outside air, and the exhausting radiators above will simply draw extra air through it that isn't restricted by a 140mm + fan. That should give you the clearance you need to comfortably run a D5 Next or something similar.

Exactly. For solid panels, the recommendation is to have countercurrent flow with the radiators in series with fluid flowing the *opposite* direction as airflow. And yes, in that configuration, traversing the spine is necessary. But because of how far the gap is, you can actually traverse it with relative ease from under a PSU and Full-Length GPU. The bottom 140 can be set to have the inlets near the middle of the case. That way, you can go Bottom 140 >> Pump >> CPU Block. Then, CPU Block >> GPU Block by looping around the motherboard, under the spine, under the GPU and up to the GPU inlet. Then the GPU *outlet* can go to the top-side radiator, which connects to the bottom radiator to close the loop.

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Any updates on parts status/shipping?

Quick Updates: (
official Update will be posted tonight).

* first 26 cases of Batch 1 are going out today. Proformas / Receipts will be emailed tonight with tracking info for those cases. (tracking numbers don't go live until cases are scanned in / on the truck).
* Shipments will be on the truck by 5:30 pm EST today.
* Shipment coming in Today in about 30 minutes, will be QC'd, packed, and shipped in a few days. We're sending anything we have all parts for. :)

PS: Please take pictures / share them when you guys get your cases. I'm really interested to see everyone's reactions ^_^

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Quick Updates: (official Update will be posted tonight).

* first 26 cases of Batch 1 are going out today. Proformas / Receipts will be emailed tonight with tracking info for those cases. (tracking numbers don't go live until cases are scanned in / on the truck).
* Shipments will be on the truck by 5:30 pm EST today.
* Shipment coming in Today in about 30 minutes, will be QC'd, packed, and shipped in a few days. We're sending anything we have all parts for. :)

PS: Please take pictures / share them when you guys get your cases. I'm really interested to see everyone's reactions ^_^

That's awesome! Congrats!

I don't do discord, would you mind trying to cross post some of these major-type announcements here too? Thanks

Reactions: WinterCharm