Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Side panel to the central spine is around 87mm or so, so that won't be the issue. D5's will fit assuming a short gpu. I have a 3080FE so that's not the concern, although tubing might be a bit tricky..
87 was from psu to side panel. Need clarification from Winter on what the 63.5 dimension references.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong (I wish I am): It is 63.5 from spine to side panel, the D5 Revo is 78 mm on the shorter side. The tube-res is centered so it's (78-60)/2 = 9 mm on each side to the tube. If we place the pump starting directly from the side panel the tubing will be there 9 + 60 = 69 mm. Which will not fit because of the 62,5.

For your plan B the 74,9mm height and the width of 88mm might be an issue, depening on your GPU and fitting used you easily can pass the 315mm - but it could work (for me it won't that's why I didnt investigate further)

Edit: It's 63.5 mm not 62.5 (which doesnt change anything)

Last edited:
Reactions: smalltownboi

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong (I wish I am): It is 62.5 from spine to side panel, the D5 Revo is 78 mm on the shorter side. The tube-res is centered so it's (78-60)/2 = 9 mm on each side to the tube. If we place the pump starting directly from the side panel the tubing will be there 9 + 60 = 69 mm. Which will not fit because of the 62,5.

For your plan B the 74,9mm height and the width of 88mm might be an issue, depening on your GPU and fitting used you easily can pass the 315mm - but it could work (for me it won't that's why I didnt investigate further)

I think your distro plate with a D5 mounted into it is the winner...

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Correct me if I'm wrong (I wish I am): It is 62.5 from spine to side panel, the D5 Revo is 78 mm on the shorter side. The tube-res is centered so it's (78-60)/2 = 9 mm on each side to the tube. If we place the pump starting directly from the side panel the tubing will be there 9 + 60 = 69 mm. Which will not fit because of the 62,5.

The 62.5/63.5 pump width claim is misleading then if that dimension is from spine to side panel since, in my mind, the pump width limit is determined by measuring the bracket center to the spine. If you are correct, then not even a 60mm OD tube can fit when centered above the pump.

Both plans assume EK 3080FE block.

Maybe I'm completely SOL and will need to temporarily run an external pump when I get the case.

Fresh Prince Shrug GIF by MOODMAN

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
The 62.5/63.5 pump width claim is misleading then if that dimension is from spine to side panel since, in my mind, the pump width limit is determined by measuring the bracket center to the spine. If you are correct, then not even a 60mm OD tube can fit when centered above the pump.

Both plans assume EK 3080FE block.

Maybe I'm completely SOL and will need to temporarily run an external pump when I get the case.

Fresh Prince Shrug GIF by MOODMAN
I honestly doubt its 63mm, seems a bit odd because that implies the spine is around 20-25mm thick if you measure from the edge of the psu, knowing that PSU>SIDE PANEL = 87mm.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
63,5 from Update #13 #1592
87,35 from CAD screenshot #1,626
3,6 estimated via .step files from homepage

The bitspower mod top is a bait aswell 🤡
thanks for that. Your pump interfering with the side panel is interesting. Is the pump bracket in this model aligned to where the case bracket would be?

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I woke up this morning and realized it was mid March.

The time is near.

... The alpha cool brass top had been striped off its troublesome coating and only the exterior has been powder coated by me now.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Oh wow, I hadn't heard about this ... does the coating on the brass flake off inside?
...So, I've had three of these brass tops so far (this one would be the fourth), and all three have had the coating lift where coolant contacts it:

Here was the worst I've had:

That was after ~3 months, and yes. Cleaning that out of the loop sucked. very much.

I've decided I really want to use the top because of the port orientations and it is a rather quiet top, but I didn't want to have to clean the winter one in a few months. I stripped their coating off, masked the inside, and powder coated the outside satin black. I'm still an amateur when it comes to powder coating, but I'm happy with how it eventually came out. If brass was your thing, this top would certainly polish up really nice.

Finished product with barbs installed for flushing it out:

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
As per Update 13, "Batch 1 (Black) should begin shipping to backers during the week of March 15th!"

I assume the next update will address this because we are nearing the end of this week.

Edit: This might also mean that LTT vid is close?! Ideally LTT vid would launch at or near the same time Batch 2 orders open up?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hey everyone. Writing the update now, which will go into detail about our QC process, and what led to some parts needing to be remade. Expect it later today.

A Quick Summary:
  • A shipment of Parts left the factory this Friday, and is currently on its way to us. We anticipate having it mid-next-week.
  • Some QC issues require a few parts to be re-made. This was human error on the factory side, and they're working to fix it, and remake the parts. Those parts have been bumped to the front of the queue at this particular factory, and will be made in the next week and shipped out on Friday, to be delivered to us by ~ Monday or Tuesday (week of the 29th).
  • In the meantime, our foam is In Transit (It was supposed to arrive this week, but hit COVID related delays at the docks), and as soon as it is Stateside and clears customs, We'll be able to start shipping the cases we have parts for.
  • We anticipate cases will start shipping by the end of March, as these QC errors are the last thing in our way.
  • This will likely delay the sale of Batch 2 on our website by a week (Now going on sale early April), as I will uphold my promise of not taking orders until we've delivered the batch in flight. This is to avoid situations that other companies have experienced with multiple overlapping orders that considerably push back the delivery date.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Hey everyone. Writing the update now, which will go into detail about our QC process, and what led to some parts needing to be remade. Expect it later today.

A Quick Summary:
  • A shipment of Parts left the factory this Friday, and is currently on its way to us. We anticipate having it mid-next-week.
  • Some QC issues require a few parts to be re-made. This was human error on the factory side, and they're working to fix it, and remake the parts. Those parts have been bumped to the front of the queue at this particular factory, and will be made in the next week and shipped out on Friday, to be delivered to us by ~ Monday or Tuesday (week of the 29th).
  • In the meantime, our foam is In Transit (It was supposed to arrive this week, but hit COVID related delays at the docks), and as soon as it is Stateside and clears customs, We'll be able to start shipping the cases we have parts for.
  • We anticipate cases will start shipping by the end of March, as these QC errors are the last thing in our way.
  • This will likely delay the sale of Batch 2 on our website by a week (Now going on sale early April), as I will uphold my promise of not taking orders until we've delivered the batch in flight. This is to avoid situations that other companies have experienced with multiple overlapping orders that considerably push back the delivery date.

Sucks you have some delays but great transparency as always!

From a personal view does this have a knock on impact to the silver kickstarters backers? Should we expect shipment early May now or are you in a position to order those pieces on the original timeframe?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Update 15 is Live!

Quick Summary:​

• QC issues required a few parts to be re-made. This was human error on the factory's side, and they're working to fix it and remake the parts.
  • Those parts have been bumped to the front of the queue at this particular factory and will be made in the next week and shipped out on Friday, to be delivered to us by ~ Monday or Tuesday (week of the 29th).
  • In the meantime, our foam is In Transit (it was supposed to arrive this week, but hit COVID related delays at the docks), and as soon as it is State-side and clears customs, we'll be able to start shipping the cases we have parts for.
  • We anticipate cases will start shipping by the end of March, since these QC errors are the last thing in our way.

What led to the delay?
During QC, we found a dimensional issue the manufacturer did not catch, due to an incorrect entry on one of the CMM machines. This resulted in a nearly 24% error rate on this particular part, which is far higher than the typical overage we accounted for. In future batches, we will increase our overage on orders to reduce the likelihood of this problem occurring.

How will this affect Batch 2?

We've ordered packaging for Batch 2, to be delivered in April. Additionally, we'll switch to larger overages for Batch 2 parts that haven't arrived to prevent last minute delays due to QC, like we just had with Batch 1. We have already ordered some Batch 2 parts and accessories. We had some unexpected issues in Batch 1, but we're already implementing ways to prevent these from occurring in Batch 2 and beyond.

A Peek Behind the QC Process for Winter One

Quality Control is a complex beast, and the hardest thing to undertake on any project when it is new. Our QC Process is a 3-tier system:

1. At-Factory QC (QC1)
After parts are produced, they are placed on a Coordinate Measuring Machine that maps out the dimensions and checks for tolerance errors. This automated process ensures that we do not get parts that are dimensionally inaccurate, as when those errors happen, the factory is able to trace the source, and the damaged part is re-made at the factory, either by corrective re-working (if possible) or as a new part.

2. Post-Finishing (QC2)
After production, the parts are sent for anodization. After the process of coating, the parts are visually inspected, cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and packed away for shipping. Typically, this means parts leaving the anodization factory are of good quality.

3. Final QC at Winter Design (QC3)
The QC process at Winter Design is unique in that we do not spot-check the batch or use statistical QC. When the parts arrive here, I clean and carefully inspect every single part. I go over the CMM reports and manually check any parts that were at the edge of tolerances. Because we require every part to be inspected at each stage, our error rates have been less than 5% on most parts. To prevent delays, we order an extra 10% of parts to absorb errors.

Here's a peek behind the scenes of QC3 from the last week:

PCIE Slot Covers

PCIE Slot Covers

Winter One Feet, complete with Cork.

Winter One Feet, complete with Cork.

Stacks of End Plates waiting to be unwrapped and inspected.

Stacks of End Plates waiting to be unwrapped and inspected.

Checking the fit on Power Buttons.

Checking the fit on Power Buttons.

The Current To-Do List

Parts in Flight
  • Last shipment of machined parts (in transit, mid next week)
  • Packaging foam (in transit - 26th)
  • Re-run of QC-failed parts (queued for Production, week after)
Parts To Be QC'd
  • Incoming Shipment of Machined Parts
  • Re-Run of QC-failed parts
Packing and Shipping
  • Generating Shipping Labels
  • Packing parts in foam trays & sealing boxes
  • Shipping Batch 1

Community and Socials

I wanted to create a few spaces where people can interact more regularly, get a closer look at what's going on at Winter Design, and share knowledge and information about Winter One. I've planned a few social events for the delivery week of Batch 1.

You Can Find Winter Design On:
  • Discord - Join this for build help, feedback, and access to inside information.
  • Instagram - Follow us for pictures of the QC process in the coming days. We’ll also feature some of your builds in the future.
  • Twitter - We’ll make quick announcements and updates here.

Build Week Streams
During delivery week, I’ll be streaming on Twitch to answer questions and spend time with all of you as you build in Winter One. We'll probably use Google Hangouts so anyone who wants to share their build process on the stream. (stream schedule will be announced closer to delivery times)

Featured Builds
When the new website goes live, you will be able to submit pictures of your Winter One build, and we'll be selecting builds to feature on our website/socials (more details after the website update).

3D Printed Mods
We're working on creating a space for users to share 3D-printed mods for Winter One, and we will be featuring these in the community section of the new website. :)

Last edited: