Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
@WinterCharm

...How do you get mounting bolts in the pump, and in the bracket in this configuration?

What's the clearance from the pump to the side panel?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
...How do you get mounting bolts in the pump, and in the bracket in this configuration?

Appears to be in this order: Volute to bracket, bracket to case, DDC to volute, bottom rad/fan assembly to case. Might want a touch of loctite on the screws b/c you're looking at a significant disassembly if anything comes loose.

Reactions: WinterCharm

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
TFW I bought my first SFF case from taobao this time last year thinking id keep it for years.. now im counting the days for another W1 drop, I am certainly buying I think. For sure regretting not joining the KS when It started up..

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
"Panel" as in front panel or the side panel, struggling to see how that would help unless I'm completely misreading this sentence?

Mounting the pump bracket vertically (against the front panel) allows you to use the full 81mm clearance from the bottom of the spine to the top of the fans.

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
Mounting the pump bracket vertically (against the front panel) allows you to use the full 81mm clearance from the bottom of the spine to the top of the fans.
Oh I see. interesting. Might have to get some old fashioned pen and paper and dream up some ideas

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
dont know if it has been asked already, but looking at the build video today again I noticed at around 3:36 you can see the psu extension cable - and to me it looks like with a 280 radiator it's not going to clear any fittings in that orientation - am I missing something?

Comparing it e.g. with the posted plan from @nikfloyd

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
dont know if it has been asked already, but looking at the build video today again I noticed at around 3:36 you can see the psu extension cable - and to me it looks like with a 280 radiator it's not going to clear any fittings in that orientation - am I missing something?

Comparing it e.g. with the posted plan from @nikfloyd
It was discussed a little bit ago ... like 20 pages so easy to have missed it ... that seems like double 45's will be needed there to route around the psu cable.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
It was discussed a little bit ago ... like 20 pages so easy to have missed it ... that seems like double 45's will be needed there to route around the psu cable.
Found it, thanks!
Well, it looks like it's 54,5 - 29,6 = 24,9 mm clearance, which is not enough for any 45/90 fitting from EK. I guess I'll have to stop buying stuff before having the case in my hands now 😀

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Found it, thanks!
Well, it looks like it's 54,5 - 29,6 = 24,9 mm clearance, which is not enough for any 45/90 fitting from EK. I guess I'll have to stop buying stuff before having the case in my hands now 😀
I'm honestly at the point where this case is going to sit in the corner while I wait for the smarter, braver, folks to do builds that I can copy. For various reasons, I'd really like a D5 with some sort of reservoir, but even using a single 140 on the bottom I still come up with either potential clearance or routing issues ... not the least of which is compounded by the already purchased ewkb 3080 FE block with it's novel port placement.

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
I'm honestly at the point where this case is going to sit in the corner while I wait for the smarter, braver, folks to do builds that I can copy. For various reasons, I'd really like a D5 with some sort of reservoir, but even using a single 140 on the bottom I still come up with either potential clearance or routing issues ... not the least of which is compounded by the already purchased ewkb 3080 FE block with it's novel port placement.
I'm awaiting the next batch to be put up for order, but Im probably just going to get both a DDC combo and a D5. In the event the d5 isnt useable I'll just go DDC.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Yeah I'm in the same boat (wanting some sort of reservoir, D5 & using the EK FE cooler), I think it comes down to having a drawer like @mxj1 with all kinds of fittings and then try and error it.

Here's my latest "Eisdecke" approach:

A Koolance 90 will fit behind, maybe also needed in the front. The problem here could be the space between pump inlet and "res" as you want it to be flexible enough to be tilted to use the "fill" port.

And my current "Ultitop" approach:

Either squeeze the flow indicator res below the GPU or start using QDC Fittings. I guess I'd rather go with QDC's in this scenario.

Other things to note: It's the 3090 block and the D5 Next used here which are both bigger in size than the regular D5 / 3080 FE block.
I obviously am bad at the 3D/CAD stuff but I guess it should make the point 😀

Reactions: Goatee

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
What's the distance between the two fans (green boxes)?
It's 172 mm with the step file from the homepage (with 25 + 30). I adjusted the rad to 29,6 for the GTS in my screens and might need to add 2x 2mm for the P14 if I end up using them (27mm instead of 25mm)

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
@Ilyu I'll be happy to provide feedback on different possibilities. I don't think a D5 with res will fit in this case with 2x280s. I really think if you insist on the D5, nix the res idea and select a top like the alphacool (yuck) or the heatkiller (yay) that gives you ports on the face of the top. You can then use a cheap reservoir and lay the case horizontally to fill and bleed, and remove it after a day or two.

I've changed my mind so many times with what I'm going to do in this case, so I've got quite a few parts to check compatibility on. Right now, lol, I've settled on an MCP35X DDC in the pump location with the inlet coming from the GPU outlet, and the outlet of the pump going to to inlet of the top radiator. I'm using metal hardline in this build so my runs will be comprised of only 90s... should look nice.

One of the reasons I've fallen back to the DDC is because I've finally nailed this thing down:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
What's the distance between the two fans (green boxes)?
It's 172 mm with the step file from the homepage (with 25 + 30). I adjusted the rad to 29,6 for the GTS in my screens and might need to add 2x 2mm for the P14 if I end up using them (27mm instead of 25mm)

Just so you're both aware, The real height is 176mm, assuming you have a 30mm radiator, and 25mm fans (total of 55mm exactly - please remember to account for tolerances!)

This was done purposely, as the simplified CAD file for loop planning under-reports the space you have, so even if you run right against the limits in the file and your real-life parts have loose tolerances, they will still fit in the actual case. Most people do not account for tolerances when they are playing with dimensions, and most tolerances are unlisted for off-the-shelf computer parts. So we measured a bunch of them, created a library of tolerances, and then planned case dimensions accordingly.

Radiators are *notorious* for having +/- 0.5mm variance (due to how they're made) and PC case fans typically are made to +/- 0.25mm. So for radiators, we allotted an extra 1mm of space, and for fans, we allotted an extra 0.5mm of space. Now, consider top surface + bottom surface + interface, and you get 0.5 + 0.25+ 0.5 +0.25 = 1.5mm Then, keep in mind that most tolerancing is 2 standard deviations, or 95% of all lengths on a standard distribution, as some things will slip past QC that are sliiiightly outside of that range. (1.5mm / 0.95 = 1.58mm). So what I usually do is add a 1/3 safety factor on top of the summed dimensions to encompass all part variance. So you get 1.5 * 4/3 = 2mm. Now, stack those two together for the bottom and top set of fans / radiators! (2mm + 2mm = 4mm) That's why the Loop Planner Shows 172mm instead of 176mm

Some of you might be wondering "Why not give us true dimensions?" -- In my experience, this leads to all sorts of issues with parts requiring sanding and such to get a fit. This is not a good experience, and I did not want to ruin the build experience for newer builders unfamiliar with how tricky dimension matching can be with SFF, especially when most manufacturers do not list tolerance on their provided dimensions. I tried this approach with the Beta Units as well, and that's why we had zero fitment issues with the Beta Unit.
😎

Last edited:

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@WinterCharm your logic makes complete sense.

176mm is massive, I'm pretty sure one could fit a tube res'd D5 in there. Let me go check my stores and confirm.

I will also check my rad/fan combo, I'm planning to use Blyski rads so I think with some noctua's they come in at 54mm's. That may mean up to 178mm!!!

Actual measurement:

Small EK D5 tube Res with AC D5 is 154mm height excluding usb pins.

Blyski rad with noctua chroma fans is 54mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman