Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I take your point, however @WinterCharm has been more communicative/efficient with answering questions and maintaining a consistent presence than I've seen on this forum, or elsewhere. He has occasionally missed an update by a day. He has in no way ignored any problems, or failed to communicate the status of the project/his intentions.

I realize this is an expensive case and I understand the excitement that drives people to check the status obsessively, but consumer culture has reached the height of its toxicity. Self importance is off the charts. We've been given no reason to believe that this product will not be delivered as quickly as possible, or that its creator is acting nefariously. We've been treated like adults. Let's act like adults.
Unfortunately, you're taking my post out of context, and implying that I made statements that I clearly did not. I will do my best to respond as respectfully as possible.

Things I did not say:
  • @WinterCharm has ignored proplems.
  • WinterCharm has failed to communicate the status of the project or his intentions.
  • WinterCharm is acting nefarious (which is a rather harsh word in its definition).
The sentiment was intended to be: keep up the good work, and don't worry about missing a deadline - just communicate delays.

If you look back through some of the images I've posted in this thread, you'll quickly realize that I won't hesitate to drop a couple hundred dollars on PC parts... I've got >$600 in the Mo-Ra 420 sitting on my desk right now. Please don't use the cost of this case as a reason to imply why I would be any less patient than what I've clearly communicated in this thread.

In regards to your statement, "Self importance is off the charts," this is exactly the mentality that MUST be avoided in a niche market like this. WinterOne knows how close this KickStarter was to making it's goal. If he wrote off even ONE of the buyers, this project may have never happened. The moment that you stop thinking that everyone of your customers is your best customer, you take the first step to shutting down. Don't forget, every one of the cases from the KS belongs to a person and that person is just as important as the next. The implication that every customer is not important enough to deserve consistent, on-time, as-promised communication is what's toxic.

Regardless, I'm not going to muck up this thread anymore with this conversation. If you'd like to continue this in private, I'm more than willing

So I keep reading several posts about pump compatibility now and am lost. Can someone post 2-3 good pump/res combinations which are usable in the W1 please?

Can I use a

GLACIER R160 with a DDC pump?​

I plan to use a DDC pump, with a pump top that will allow the possibility for me to temporarily install a reservoir for filling/bleeding (all for not though, because I can fill the loop externally with the Mo-Ra/D5 tube).

I'm going this route: Aquacomputer DDC top

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020
I hope I will not regret jumping aboard "2x280mm + D5 pump/res" hype train before actually seeing such build. Now I think "the way" is to use @nikfloyd D5 orientation Eisdecke top + Eisfluegel flow indicator above as a res or just ditch D5 and go DDC :/ This is similar situation to the T1 240mm rad support - creator designed the case around air cooling but most of the power user went top 240mm rad CLC/AIO anyway.

The other thing is quite big difference in temps with solid/perf panels.
  • CPU ∆: 16ºC
  • GPU ∆: 9ºC
  • Noise ∆: 4dBa
Those are quite big numbers, especially temp wise. I think knowing that beforehand more backers would have chosen perf panels. Considering 10900k OCed is either 100+ degrees thermal throttle or easygoing 85 degrees with room to OC even more...

Reactions: efegue

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
I hope I will not regret jumping aboard "2x280mm + D5 pump/res" hype train before actually seeing such build. Now I think "the way" is to use @nikfloyd D5 orientation Eisdecke top + Eisfluegel flow indicator above as a res or just ditch D5 and go DDC :/ This is similar situation to the T1 240mm rad support - creator designed the case around air cooling but most of the power user went top 240mm rad CLC/AIO anyway.

Those are quite big numbers, especially temp wise. I think knowing that beforehand more backers would have chosen perf panels. Considering 10900k OCed is either 100+ degrees thermal throttle or easygoing 85 degrees with room to OC even more...
I went for solid side panels, but I hope that I will be able to purchase the perforated panels separately given the temperatures shown.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020

numbers weren't available until recently though. i get what you mean but projects like this are dynamic in their implementation and timelines aren't rigid.

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020
I went for solid side panels, but I hope that I will be able to purchase the perforated panels separately given the temperatures shown.
Same as me, and I think after today's update "solid panel regret" just skyrocketed :D
numbers weren't available until recently though. i get what you mean but projects like this are dynamic in their implementation and timelines aren't rigid.
That I'm fully aware, but nevertheless testers should have been provided with both sets of panels don't you think? It's not like one of the panel type was implemented recently... Lesson for me is to pull the trigger only AFTER seeing solid OT review.

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
it would be interesting to see the results of 1 rad vs 2 rads with the solid panels, especially with 280s. I’m sure the second one is contributing something toward cooling performance, but I also assume the extra radiator reduces the overall airflow to some degree so maybe fan speed could be dropped slightly to further reduce noise

Reactions: ckrueger99

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020

This is ridiculous. You've seen the temps with solid side panels (they haven't changed) and obviously must have been happy with them since you backed the kickstarter. Now you can see that better temps can be achieved with perforated ones and you're complaining... Of course there will be better temps with perforated side panels and dual radiator setup difference will be largest (among all possible setups). This was stated from the beginning. You could only blame yourself for this decision, no one else. All in all you should be happy to be one of the first who have this case - temps with solid side panels are very good, but with perforated they are mind blowing - you can still upgrade in the future.

Reactions: mxj1

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
This is ridiculous. You've seen the temps with solid side panels (they haven't changed) and obviously must have been happy with them since you backed the kickstarter. Now you can see that better temps can be achieved with perforated ones and you're complaining... Of course there will be better temps with perforated side panels and dual radiator setup difference will be largest (among all possible setups). This was stated from the beginning. You could only blame yourself for this decision, no one else. All in all you should be happy to be one of the first who have this case - temps with solid side panels are very good, but with perforated they are mind blowing - you can still upgrade in the future.

Well, I wouldn't say it's ridiculous, it's been asked multiple times and the answer was that the difference wasn't that much, but 16º and 9º is a lot, it's not like it is 4-5º.
But it's fine by me, perforated panels should be an option in the future, meanwhile I'll cry in a corner with my quieter hotter box ;D

Reactions: eblvrm

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
I'm almost certain it was previously stated that when production is in full flow is when we'll be able to order accessories such as side panels, drive cages and pump bracket etc. separately, the case is only just going into its first batch so I imagine it'll be a little down the list of priorities for now.

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
D5's would go on the GPU side and 120 rad will go on the motherboard side - similar to how I have my T1 setup with a 5900x and 3090.

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
Getting back to the Chimney vs Ventilated Side Panel config question, surely an important factor would be whether you're using water-cooled CPU and GPU loop. In that case, the airflow of the Chimney design will be less constrained by CPU and GPU heatsinks, so the temperature penalty should be smaller, while still have the somewhat quieter sealed design. Discuss.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Anyone planning to air-cool Winter One with solid panels? If so, what do you plan to use for heatsinks? So far I've heard L12S (maybe Arctic passive cooler but thats gonna be a challenge). I'm looking at server heatsinks that are 70mm tall with a vapor chamber and supports AM4. Haven't found one yet and I doubt I will. Would love to hear what others plan to do.

Reactions: WinterCharm

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Looking at the Winter One User Guide and I noticed that there is no mention of a horizontal orientation. IRRC, it was mentioned in this thread that the feet can be moved to the ventilated side panels. Do you plan to make an addendum in the future mentioning the orientation?

Edit:

Post with the pic from May 2020

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm

Since ventilated panels are not available as spare parts, can I know their exact sizes? I would like to start working on mine... Perhaps you would prefer that I wait until I receive the Winter One?

Accessory orders will open with Batch 2 (vented panels, solid panels, pump brackets, drive cage). When the TG panel is made, it will also become an accessory.

------------

Quick Edit: (Also, I just finished a really busy week, and I'm taking the evening to recharge, but all of you in here have some fantastic questions... I will be back to answer them tomorrow, in one of those classic QA replies. Some questions for which answers might be useful for all backers, I may save until the next update / re-answer during the update, if I don't get to them earlier in here.)

Last edited:

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Anyone planning to air-cool Winter One with solid panels? If so, what do you plan to use for heatsinks? So far I've heard L12S (maybe Arctic passive cooler but thats gonna be a challenge). I'm looking at server heatsinks that are 70mm tall with a vapor chamber and supports AM4. Haven't found one yet and I doubt I will. Would love to hear what others plan to do.

I am. I have the NH-L12S. It's a breeze to install and you don't need access to the back of the motherboard - I'm so impressed with the design but it would be great if it was fully black in the future /gush. For fans I've gone for the Arctic P14's (multi-pack is about 30% of the price of 4 noctua NF-A12x25 and they perform pretty much the same). I'll still be using the fan.

I've got a EVGA 3070 XC3 ultra but would like a 3080 FE/XC3 ultra - anything less than 2.5 slots should perform well with solid side panels.

eblvrm

Chassis Packer
Apr 17, 2020

You know what will be ridiculous? If, by any chance, noise normalized comparison will be made and we will get better temps with perf panels at the same noise level :D 16 degrees delta gives A LOT of room for lowering RPMs. 16 degrees difference with 170w CPU (figure from GN 3900x review, 170w after OC) is game changer I think not only for me, but for most solid panels backers. Instead of upgrading in the future I think better solution is to sell first batch and rebuy.

Reactions: biopunk