Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Heyho im asking which pump/res combo could fit in the winterOne i thought at first im using the alphacool dc-lt pump, but i got yesterday lucky and got an 3080FE so it should be possible to get an bigger pump/res combo.

GPU Cooler:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3080-d-rgb-silver-special-edition (205x100x29mm)
(btw found that cooler and directly fell in love with it it will look greate with the silver winter one )

Radiator :
2x https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...s-st30-full-copper-240mm-radiator-v.2?c=20542 (275x124x30mm)

Any idea which pump/res could fit ?

With that short GPU block, give yourself 20mm of space for fittings, and you have ~ 87mm of space behind the GPU, and between 63-80mm of space depending on whether you're mounting a tube res or a pump and box res above / below the spine.

Hi, very new to the forum here. I've got both the NH-L12S and Arctic passive AM4 cooler and plan to post results and comparisons with a 5900x. Results will be interesting, but I'm hoping that with an undervolt on the CPU, it should be possible in the Winter One to run stock frequencies with the Arctic passive. I became interested in this project once I read about the engineering work that went into the airflow as I prefer air cooling to water for portability, so we'll see if just a 70mm slab of a heat sink with a recommended ~60W TDP can keep ~125W CPU package under control in the Winter One with solid side panels and Arctic P140 case fans.

IIRC, @gelbetron (using a v10 Beta case) ran solid panels with an Accelero morpheus ii GPU cooler, semi-passively and found it was able to handle a pretty impressive amount of heat load.

The difference Is the Arctic heatsink is actually *designed* for passive operation, and operating it semi-passively (with linear airflow) will considerably increase its cooling capability. Should be fascinating to see how it performs in Winter One.

Edit: Morpheus ii

Last edited:

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
With that short GPU block, give yourself 20mm of space for fittings, and you have ~ 87mm of space behind the GPU, and between 63-80mm of space depending on whether you're mounting a tube res or a pump and box res above / below the spine.

IIRC, @gelbetron (using a v10 Beta case) ran solid panels with an Accelero GPU cooler, semi-passively and found it was able to handle a pretty impressive amount of heat load.

The difference Is the Arctic heatsink is actually *designed* for passive operation, and operating it semi-passively (with linear airflow) will considerably increase its cooling capability. Should be fascinating to see how it performs in Winter One.
I tried a morpheus ii semi-passive

Reactions: WinterCharm

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
IIRC, @gelbetron (using a v10 Beta case) ran solid panels with an Accelero GPU cooler, semi-passively and found it was able to handle a pretty impressive amount of heat load.

Optimum tech tested the arctic passive heatsink, and even had a fan directly blowing on top of it, and it was not a good result. He didn't show the actual test setup, but needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for a semi-passive config.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Optimum tech tested the arctic passive heatsink, and even had a fan directly blowing on top of it, and it was not a good result. He didn't show the actual test setup, but needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for a semi-passive config.
i think the problem will always be heat capacity of metals used for heat sinks won't match that of water unless you add a LOT of metal. There's a reason laptops and camera chassis are made of magnesium since it also holds a lot of heat well. Materials with good heat capacity also don't tend to conduct it well. Winter hasn't shown use the SPK but it sounds like it would be quite a big bigger than most heatsinks and similar to this idea https://www.enctec.com.tw/product-page/enctec-cooling-extreme-hp-01.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
i think the problem will always be heat capacity of metals used for heat sinks won't match that of water unless you add a LOT of metal. There's a reason laptops and camera chassis are made of magnesium since it also holds a lot of heat well. Materials with good heat capacity also don't tend to conduct it well. Winter hasn't shown use the SPK but it sounds like it would be quite a big bigger than most heatsinks and similar to this idea https://www.enctec.com.tw/product-page/enctec-cooling-extreme-hp-01.
Oh yeah, nothing against the Winter SPK x Noctua collab. I just don't think the arctic passive heatsink will perform well even with optimal airflow. Noctua's passive CPU cooler that they will be releasing soon(tm) has heat pipes integrated into it's fanless design, otherwise the heat transfer efficiency falls off a cliff the further away the fin is from the heat source.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I see. That's unfortunate, but it is only rated for a 65W TDP. I guess we'll see how it performs in Winter One. :) Can't hurt to try.

Okay, fess up... which one of you did this? 😅

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Air cooling :

Some time ago, I had noticed the Alpenföhn, but I don't know if it is compatible with the Winter One.
Maybe you talked about it on this thread ?

alphenfohn’s black ridge is short enough to fit in Winter One, based on their specs. The cpu cooler height in the case is 71mm, so anything shorter should have no problem.

the rest is going to be about motherboard compatibility and Ram compatibility.

keep in mind you need Low profile memory for the Black Ridge cooler. :)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
So ive been looking for a case like this for a year, i want a ITX ssf case to support my 2 x 240mm, where and when can i buy?

The first batches are currently awaiting final checks, packing and the shipping, but if you visit Winter Design and sign up for notifications for Batch 2 that'd be the best bet.

Exactly This :) Batch 2 will be following close on the heels of Batch 1, because we've ironed out much of the supply chain issues (finally!) XD

Also, expect an update later today :)

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
To quote the Inbetweeners I am "frothing at the gash" for this case. So much so that I got impatient and replaced my blackridge cooler with the NH-L12S. Holy cow what a difference, drops temps by around 5-10 celcius under load and is a LOT quieter when pulling air in.

Kinda like this hot rod look ya know.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Using the files he made available a few weeks ago has it in the neighborhood of ~143 mm.

*he didn't provide interior dimensions of the case. However, all the photos I've seen has the PSU pretty much touching the front panel - and he confirmed the same with the ~312mm 280mm GTS radiators.