Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Its really cool(pun) to see how well Winter One is performing. Looking foward to the manual in the next update. This is all an amazing prelude to the final product. Every update is super exciting and my joy for the case is increased after each one. With that said, I have to do a double take at the computer screen because its a macOS Catalina wallpaper with windows start menu. Heh

• Love
Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hypothetically speaking. Would it be possible to use a cardboard side panel to fit an D14? Its sacrilege(and problematic) for many reasons but i'm in a bit of a pickle where I bought the solid side panels and the D14 is my only decent air-cooler.

I'm looking into an Arctic passive cooler with some tiny fans as a plan B. Not sure it works but it would be nice.
You can still use an NH-L12S as the air cooler with solid panels. Set it to pull air through the heat sink, and exhaust it down onto the motherboard. Also, you *could* attempt to use the passive arctic cooler, with case fans. It would be interesting to see how it would perform.

Its really cool(pun) to see how well Winter One is performing. Looking foward to the manual in the next update. This is all an amazing prelude to the final product. Every update is super exciting and my joy for the case is increased after each one. With that said, I have to do a double take at the computer screen because its a macOS Catalina wallpaper with windows start menu. Heh
Apple makes *fantastic* wallpapers. I also like having the same wallpaper across all my machines. It's just a weird thing I have.

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
how much does case fan speed really impact thermals? 4x 1200-1500rpm a14's are going to be the major contributor of the overall noise profile. if you were to re-run e.g. the stock settings with fixed gpu and cpu fan speeds and step through the case fan speeds from 20%->25%->30% etc., when would you hit marginal returns?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
how much does case fan speed really impact thermals? 4x 1200-1500rpm a14's are going to be the major contributor of the overall noise profile. if you were to re-run e.g. the stock settings with fixed gpu and cpu fan speeds and step through the case fan speeds from 20%->25%->30% etc., when would you hit marginal returns?
Diminishing returns start around 1000 RPM for the NF A14s, and really, above 1250 rpm you don't get much gain at all. Almost everyone could just lock the fans at 1000 RPM, and run them silently, and unless you're *really* pushing a 3090's OC to the absolute limit, it wouldn't matter too much.

With OC'ing, a good part of the noise is coming from the A14's at 100%. However, In the particular OC that I have set up for the 3090, the fans have a significant effect on the heat dissipated via the passive part of the cooler in the middle of the card, which specifically affects GDDR6X memory temperatures. Going from 1100rpm >> 1300 RPM drops the 3090 fans from 1700 rpm to 1300 rpm.

High GDDR6X temps cause the 3090 to spin its fans up beyond 1700rpm, and the fans make a particularly annoying whine at those speeds. This is only an issue for memory intensive workloads such as ML training, but the noise is distinct and annoying enough that I wanted to avoid that. I could turn down my memory clock a bit, but with my core at 2Ghz, you really need the memory clocked higher to feed such a wide GPU.

To their credit, Nvidia balanced the card well. Overclock by 5% and you need to match that with a memory OC, or your performance gains will plateau. But you really do need to cool the memory.

------------------

Edit: Re-Ran OC Thermal Test with revised Fan Curve: 20% at 20C --> 80% at 90C. (Case fans at 1200 rpm)

* 161W on the CPU at 90C (vs 170)
* 69C on the GPU (OC'd as described before).
* Noise was 48dBA.

For a 5dBA reduction (53 --> 48dBA) , it was worth the 1.1% drop in CPU speed (3.81 vs 3.85 GHz all core), and 3% increase in GPU temps.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@WinterCharm

Maybe you already did this and I missed the update but I was wondering if you had a chance to measure temperatures between the RTX3090 backplate and the riser cable with a temp probe? I read people getting very high GDDR6X temperatures on their cards even with a fan blowing directly over the backplate. I'm curious how well the optimized W1 airflow would perform there.

Thanks in advance. :)

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm

Maybe you already did this and I missed the update but I was wondering if you had a chance to measure temperatures between the RTX3090 backplate and the riser cable with a temp probe? I read people getting very high GDDR6X temperatures on their cards even with a fan blowing directly over the backplate. I'm curious how well the optimized W1 airflow would perform there.

Thanks in advance. :)

While i dont have a direct temperature probe, The biggest sign of 3090FE memory overheating is the GPU fans spinning up unreasonably when the card's core temperature doesn't warrant it. I am not seeing this behavior in the data, and have no reason to believe the memory is overheating. Airflow through this region will =be addressed in my airflow post next week. Tl;Dr: airflow through this area is *very* good.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thank you, looking forward to the next update.

Reason for asking about the temp between riser cable and backplate: Some time ago I saw someone with a molten riser cable in a sandwich style case, obviously because the back of his GPU got to hot, exceeding the rated temperature of the insulation (80C) over a longer period of time. IIRC he was running some rendering job for 12h before the riser cable gave up (probably a very rare case, but still made me thinking...).

Given the good airflow I guess in W1 this won't be an issue, and one could run the system at full load 24/7 without issues, right?

Last edited:

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
I’ve noticed a buzzing on my build and I can’t for the life of me figure out where it’s coming from. Possibly MB or GPU coil whine 😞

Hoping I just get used to it since I’ll have my Winter One on the desk.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm Got actually an rtx 3080 FE, now i wanna buy a custom cable for the 12 pin, any suggestion how long this should be? 600mm?
Probably no longer than 250mm. :)
Given the good airflow I guess in W1 this won't be an issue, and one could run the system at full load 24/7 without issues, right?
Not an issue in this case, I've run my 3090 at a 400W overclock + 24/7 rendering / simulation workloads, for a few weeks now.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I’ve noticed a buzzing on my build and I can’t for the life of me figure out where it’s coming from. Possibly MB or GPU coil whine 😞

Hoping I just get used to it since I’ll have my Winter One on the desk.
I remember I noticed a buzzing/whine in one of my builds. I thought it was cool whine but I was eventually able to figure out that it was a chipset fan for X570. Worth looking into!

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
I remember I noticed a buzzing/whine in one of my builds. I thought it was cool whine but I was eventually able to figure out that it was a chipset fan for X570. Worth looking into!
I think I’ve narrowed it down to my PSU fan, which is the one old component that I haven’t replaced yet. It seems to only buzz at boot and after some time it calms down. I’ve got an SFX in its box waiting for my Winter One so this should be resolved by then! My B550i doesn’t have a chipset fan, I think.

Reactions: DrHudacris

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
While i dont have a direct temperature probe, The biggest sign of 3090FE memory overheating is the GPU fans spinning up unreasonably when the card's core temperature doesn't warrant it. I am not seeing this behavior in the data, and have no reason to believe the memory is overheating. Airflow through this region will =be addressed in my airflow post next week. Tl;Dr: airflow through this area is *very* good.

Not sure if you're already aware or I'm misunderstanding slightly but with the latest update HWiNFO gives memory junction temperature for Ampere cards (or at least, 3080/90).

TheMTtakeover

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 10, 2021
I know it'll be a bit before I can order this case, but I think the top and bottom fans exhausting with cool air coming through the side is a great cooling setup.

I'm curious if anyone has tried a similar setup on the NR200 and how the thermals and noise were? I was thinking of doing a side mount gpu, a 240mm aio on the bottom exhausting (one with the pump not in the cpu block) and and the top fans exhausting. I doubt the thermals would be competitive with this case, but might be the next best thing for now.

Reactions: DrHudacris

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Not sure if you're already aware or I'm misunderstanding slightly but with the latest update HWiNFO gives memory junction temperature for Ampere cards (or at least, 3080/90).

I hadn't updated yet so I could easily cross-compare data with older measurements I had taken, and the Beta Testers had taken, since I created spreadsheets for easy analysis.

Nice to know this is a feature now :)

dotnetapp

Chassis Packer
Sep 25, 2019
Heyho im asking which pump/res combo could fit in the winterOne i thought at first im using the alphacool dc-lt pump, but i got yesterday lucky and got an 3080FE so it should be possible to get an bigger pump/res combo.

GPU Cooler:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3080-d-rgb-silver-special-edition (205x100x29mm)
(btw found that cooler and directly fell in love with it it will look greate with the silver winter one )

Radiator :
2x https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...s-st30-full-copper-240mm-radiator-v.2?c=20542 (275x124x30mm)

Any idea which pump/res could fit ?

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Heyho im asking which pump/res combo could fit in the winterOne i thought at first im using the alphacool dc-lt pump, but i got yesterday lucky and got an 3080FE so it should be possible to get an bigger pump/res combo.

GPU Cooler:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-fe-rtx-3080-d-rgb-silver-special-edition (205x100x29mm)
(btw found that cooler and directly fell in love with it it will look greate with the silver winter one )

Radiator :
2x https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...s-st30-full-copper-240mm-radiator-v.2?c=20542 (275x124x30mm)

Any idea which pump/res could fit ?
FE blocks are short enough to allow for D5/reservoir combos, but you'll likely need to use the side-port terminal that comes with the EK FE block rather than the straight-out.

Examples:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-100-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump-glass

https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute-reservoir-acrylic-d5-pump-included?variant=16382219878449

awcw121

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 28, 2021
You can still use an NH-L12S as the air cooler with solid panels. Set it to pull air through the heat sink, and exhaust it down onto the motherboard. Also, you *could* attempt to use the passive arctic cooler, with case fans. It would be interesting to see how it would perform.

Apple makes *fantastic* wallpapers. I also like having the same wallpaper across all my machines. It's just a weird thing I have.
Hi, very new to the forum here. I've got both the NH-L12S and Arctic passive AM4 cooler and plan to post results and comparisons with a 5900x. Results will be interesting, but I'm hoping that with an undervolt on the CPU, it should be possible in the Winter One to run stock frequencies with the Arctic passive. I became interested in this project once I read about the engineering work that went into the airflow as I prefer air cooling to water for portability, so we'll see if just a 70mm slab of a heat sink with a recommended ~60W TDP can keep ~125W CPU package under control in the Winter One with solid side panels and Arctic P140 case fans.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Hi, very new to the forum here. I've got both the NH-L12S and Arctic passive AM4 cooler and plan to post results and comparisons with a 5900x. Results will be interesting, but I'm hoping that with an undervolt on the CPU, it should be possible in the Winter One to run stock frequencies with the Arctic passive. I became interested in this project once I read about the engineering work that went into the airflow as I prefer air cooling to water for portability, so we'll see if just a 70mm slab of a heat sink with a recommended ~60W TDP can keep ~125W CPU package under control in the Winter One with solid side panels and Arctic P140 case fans.
Should be interesting to see the results. Plus Winter has the Semi-Passive kit in the works which should be a mega version of what you're going to be doing