Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
My contingency plan is coming together.

As long as your case is <6.8L I think it might still qualify as SFF 😉

Reactions: August and mxj1

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Out of curiosity, what's the dimension from the top of the case to the first hole in the perforated side panels? Curious of how much of the brown noctuas will be visible under my radiator.
Basically none, or the very bottoms of them, if you look in from an angle.

Ok, we Are just a couple of weeks away for the first batch to start shipping and I really wanted to wait until then.
And I know many of you have thought about this, don’t you think we ask @WinterCharm to create a distribution plate for the winter one for the front plate.
Curios to see what he can come up with.
What do you think?
I feel it doesn't gel with the design goals of the case but i imagine if a lot of people asked for it, it could be something for Winter and his team to look into possibly.

While this would be *possible* I'm not sure there's enough demand for this just yet. But Winter One is a case you can expect us to support long term, so in the future if demand grows, it could be done.

G23 Mr Gimp

Caliper Novice
Bronze Supporter
Sep 14, 2020
Do any of you knowledgeable folk know if there's a 3090 FE waterblock that isn't nickel plated? The EK one looks superb but the nickel plating totally kills my boner.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Do any of you knowledgeable folk know if there's a 3090 FE waterblock that isn't nickel plated? The EK one looks superb but the nickel plating totally kills my boner.

Optimus PC has confirmed they'll have a 3090FE block available at some point in the first half of 2021. Personally, that's what I'll be waiting for.

Either that, or waiting to see if HeatKiller will release a 3090FE block at some point in the near future.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
THAT IS SICK!
Looks like I can keep my C8I LOL
By the way, can we still put radiator and standard 25mm fans below the motherboard? Mini DTX extends a little comparing to Mini ITX.
IIRC the board will extend past the thickness of standard GPU block, so bottom radiator + 25mm thick fans will not be feasible

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
Any thoughts on if this Pelican IM2600 could fit the Winterone with an 60% keyboard? My guess is yes although it only leaves around 4-5 cm for the depth and width (internal).

Int. Length (mm)508
Int. Width (mm)355
Int. Depth (mm)196
Int. Lid Depth (mm)51
Ext. Length (mm)538
Ext. Width (mm)406
Ext. Depth (mm)211

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Just a quick word on the weekly update: I'm writing it up now, and it'll be up in 1-2 hours or so. Update #9 is going to be about airflow.

The delay on this week's update was due to me hoping the other set of parts would arrive by yesterday (they have not, they'll be here tonight) but rather than delay things further, I'll be falling back to a technical post about airflow that I think you all will enjoy.

But that does mean a new build video for Winter One is coming by the next update, and we're about to switch to full scale production by then, as well :)

-------------------

Edit; Change of plans. You'll see in a few hours. There's something I have to show you all, and it absolutely can not wait a few days. Here's a little hint:

Last edited:

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Just a quick word on the weekly update: I'm writing it up now, and it'll be up in 1-2 hours or so. Update #9 is going to be about airflow.

The delay on this week's update was due to me hoping the other set of parts would arrive by yesterday (they have not, they'll be here tonight) but rather than delay things further, I'll be falling back to a technical post about airflow that I think you all will enjoy.

But that does mean a new build video for Winter One is coming by the next update, and we're about to switch to full scale production by then, as well :)
Speaking of airflow... I've been thinking about how close a D5 will be to the bottom fan when mounting with this. Anyone consider a way to raise the pump up or am I overestimating the impact of the airflow obstruction?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Speaking of airflow... I've been thinking about how close a D5 will be to the bottom fan when mounting with this. Anyone consider a way to raise the pump up or am I overestimating the impact of the airflow obstruction?
Airflow won't be impacted too heavily with a round surface near part of the fan.

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020

-------------------

Edit; Change of plans. You'll see in a few hours. There's something I have to show you all, and it absolutely can not wait a few days. Here's a little hint:

Well this just made me wish I opted for matte black even more, looking amazing.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

-------------------

Is this a streak in the anodizing?

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Woah!!! The cases look even more amazing in final form! Are the cases numbered? I can sorta read the bottom line of text. Says "W1 V12 for '?????'" or something like that. If they are how are they numbered? Will they be numbered based on kickstarter backer number? If so how will first and second editions numbering work?

As a McLaren F1 geek (surprised, I know), it's really fun to see how the chassis are numbered.

If they are numbered I like the idea of there being a kickstarter backer number, an edition production number, and a sku.

Reactions: DrHudacris

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018

-------------------

It looks even better than I expected :D

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Is this a streak in the anodizing?

Yeah. It looks like an anodizing streak. Only appears under very high CRI LED lighting (These photos are taken under a 5000K 3000 Lumen Slab of Diffused LED lighting which is how all parts are inspected (by yours truly). I'll be speaking with the manufacturer about it, as a defect that large makes this particular part B-stock, and my guess is they used that area to hang the part on the anodizing rack, when they're supposed to use the denoted hanging area in the blueprints (bottom edge (which gets hidden), or one of the screw holes) to hide that. Typically this sort of thing happens when someone gets creative and says "oh, we can squeeze another part onto the anodizing rack over here" rather than doing it properly :p

There were a few other minor issues that I'll be detailing in the update. Despite the layers of QA / QC we set up, these things will happen, and it's all about setting forth guidelines and having a chat with the manufacturers. Most parts will have an anodizing mark of some kind in some hidden / out of the way place, either on an edge that will be hidden within the enclosure, or a small tapped / threaded hole. But having it on the surface like that is out of spec.

Woah!!! The cases look even more amazing in final form! Are the cases numbered? I can sorta read the bottom line of text. Says "W1 V12 for '?????'" or something like that. If they are how are they numbered? Will they be numbered based on kickstarter backer number? If so how will first and second editions numbering work?

As a McLaren F1 geek (surprised, I know), it's really fun to see how the chassis are numbered.

If they are numbered I like the idea of there being a kickstarter backer number, an edition production number, and a sku.

Yes. the case are numbered. The serial numbers are high-resolution laser-engraved into the rear panel. It's crisp, beautiful, and will not wear out. For the Silver Cases, the laser engraving will be in black, instead of white :)

Here's the serial number for this particular case, for those of you who are curious.

W1V12P01B01N100U001

To decode the serial:
W1 - Winter One
V12 - Version 1.2
P01 - First Production Run
B01 - First Batch (in the future larger production runs may have multiple batches)
N100 - 100 cases produced in this batch
U001 - First Unit off the production line

The serialization was originally going to be in QR Code form, as a way for me to track defects, but I figured it would be a nice addition for everyone to know where their case came from. As there are some issues with this particular unit (we'll go into details in the update) it will stay in-house unfortunately, and not be sent to anyone.

Only the cases from the Kickstarter Batches (1 and 2) and the very first "additional" orders of Batch 2 / Silver (which will happen on the Winter One website) will have "First Edition" On them. That's my special way of saying Thank You to everyone who backed this project and made it a reality <3

Last edited: