Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I hope to be able to buy the performance panels in 2021. I can also do like Gelbetron during the tests. :)

Neptimus7

Caliper Novice
Mar 16, 2020
I'm honestly fine with whatever screw, as long as it's easy to know which driver to use. This is true only because they're quality screws. I will say that Philips is probably the least easy screw to work with, and it can be difficult to keep the driver seated.

One thing to keep in mind is that (especially given the target audience) hex tools are generally lost or thrown away, which is a waste. A full-on driver, while nice, would be weirdly niche to carry around in a toolkit. If you do end up going with hex, it may very well be okay to not include a driver.

Finally, it might be beneficial to use strawpoll or something to gauge interest in screw types and tool inclusion.

crackerlegs

Trash Compacter
Sep 19, 2020
I'm honestly fine with whatever screw, as long as it's easy to know which driver to use. This is true only because they're quality screws. I will say that Philips is probably the least easy screw to work with, and it can be difficult to keep the driver seated.

One thing to keep in mind is that (especially given the target audience) hex tools are generally lost or thrown away, which is a waste. A full-on driver, while nice, would be weirdly niche to carry around in a toolkit. If you do end up going with hex, it may very well be okay to not include a driver.

Finally, it might be beneficial to use strawpoll or something to gauge interest in screw types and tool inclusion.

*Awkwardly stairs at hex kit bought because my 1998 ford fiesta had hex screws on the front lights*

haha yeah who keeps those in their toolkit. Nerds.

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Philips heads always end up getting that ugly little bit of rounded out / paint chipped off them look after they're used multiple times. As someone who's now on their 4th custom loop in my ghost, I'm always pulling things apart to tinker, so philips end up looking worn and ugly fairly quick. The torx screws on the case: perfect. The philips heads on the PSU: beat up.

Great to know we'll have the list of screws to source if we want torx.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
You entitled youngsters, back in my day all computer cases were made of rough cut iron sheet and held together with these, that were made of cheese:

We didn't even have screwdrivers we had to undo them with our fingernails, after walking 13 hours to, then 13 hours home from school in the snow, while carrying a bag of coal to give the neighbour who lost both legs, both arms and both eyes in the war.

Torx heads, pah!

😁

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
You entitled youngsters, back in my day all computer cases were made of rough cut iron sheet and held together with these, that were made of cheese:

We didn't even have screwdrivers we had to undo them with our fingernails, after walking 13 hours to, then 13 hours home from school in the snow, while carrying a bag of coal to give the neighbour who lost both legs, both arms and both eyes in the war.

Torx heads, pah!

😁

do NOT put those abominations on Winter One. It's against the TOS. 😛