Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
@WinterCharm what range of screen dimensions do you recommend for the vented side panels (not including the magnet strip border)? Titanrig has some Demciflex standard screen profiles they're doing "up to 30% off" on the 30th and I noticed screens for cases such as the Sliger SM580 are included. This could be a chance to get a good deal with a much cheaper shipping rate. Otherwise, ordering something custom directly from Demciflex means paying for shipping from South Africa.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Without the update the board won't even POST. No video, no POST, nothing. I tried it myself. It's not flash-able with a Zen 3 CPU unless it already supports Zen 3 (2606 and newer) since that board lacks the BIOS flashback capability that works without a CPU.

Thank you very much for these precisions, so I'm going to look among my friends for an older ryzen. They will not be very happy ...

Reactions: Mikecom32

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm what range of screen dimensions do you recommend for the vented side panels (not including the magnet strip border)? Titanrig has some Demciflex standard screen profiles they're doing "up to 30% off" on the 30th and I noticed screens for cases such as the Sliger SM580 are included. This could be a chance to get a good deal with a much cheaper shipping rate. Otherwise, ordering something custom directly from Demciflex means paying for shipping from South Africa.

Whoops! Sorry, I just saw this. Mesh sizes are as follows.

• For the top / bottom panels: 13in x 7in / 33cm x 18cm (no border)
  • For the perforated side panels: 12" x 8" / 31cm x 21cm (no border)
Note: Measurements are provided based on the filter size needed to cover all holes in each panel.

For the top / bottom panels, the filter will clamp in between the top plate, and the fan bracket / front / rear panels, so you just have to cut those to shape. You'll want to use a filter with magnetic borders on the perforated side panels.

For the Perforated Side Panels, you will need magnetic borders and some magnetic tape. Note the filter / tape size is NOT included in the measurement above.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
How large is the gap between the power supply and the side panel? Can I route a flat 24pin cable between the PSU and side panel?

Wanted to give you a concrete answer, as I've spent most of Thanksgiving finalizing the v12 (production) design. The space is 0.45 cm, so flat 24pin cable should fit there just fine :)

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Wanted to give you a concrete answer, as I've spent most of Thanksgiving finalizing the v12 (production) design. The space is 0.45 cm, so flat 24pin cable should fit there just fine :)
Thats really good to hear! Both for finalizing v12 and the psu space. BTW, I was rewatching the 5 minute guide on YouTube and I noticed you were using a L9x65 or L9i. How is the performance? I have a NH-D14 which i'm tempted to use with a cardboard side panel until SPK but if I can get better then open-test-bench performance with a L9x65 then that will better.

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
Thats really good to hear! Both for finalizing v12 and the psu space. BTW, I was rewatching the 5 minute guide on YouTube and I noticed you were using a L9x65 or L9i. How is the performance? I have a NH-D14 which i'm tempted to use with a cardboard side panel until SPK but if I can get better then open-test-bench performance with a L9x65 then that will better.
I tried an l9i on a 4790k in the beta. It didn't work well

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
What's the word on SFX-L power supplies? Did any beta testers try it? If I'm using the 4-drive cage, how much space will there be between the PSU and the cage?

kodek

Caliper Novice
Nov 11, 2020
The remaining parts for my build just arrived (rtx 3080, mdpc-x parts for custom sleeving and custom loop parts with 2x GTS 280) and already got ryzen 5900x, gigabyte b550i, vengeance memory and sf750. I only need the case... I hope it will be here before christmas. (fingers crossed)

Reactions: jupiterking

ckrueger99

Trash Compacter
Apr 19, 2020
The remaining parts for my build just arrived (rtx 3080, mdpc-x parts for custom sleeving and custom loop parts with 2x GTS 280) and already got ryzen 5900x, gigabyte b550i, vengeance memory and sf750. I only need the case... I hope it will be here before christmas. (fingers crossed)
Same! I had to resort to red rads and zen 2, however.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Performance PCs have some Intel 1155 Apogee Drive II's in stock, I noticed they had stock but no option to add to cart so emailed them, and they added a button.

4 left currently for anyone interested! https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...grated-pump-intel-1155-version-apd2-1155.html
I'm extremely torn between using my Apogee II again or trying the Aquanaut. Went ahead and got the AM4 converter for the Apogee just in case. I can't decide if this issue with the Aquanaut is a deal breaker or not...

spooky

Case Bender
New User
Dec 2, 2020
I'm extremely torn between using my Apogee II again or trying the Aquanaut. Went ahead and got the AM4 converter for the Apogee just in case. I can't decide if this issue with the Aquanaut is a deal breaker or not...

Fwiw I just got my Aquanaut in the other day and that was the first thing I checked. Mine's got no cold plate warping, so maybe his just had defect?

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I grabbed an appogee a few months ago when they were in stock at swiftech... So, I have no experience with the aquanaut, and don't care for the aesthetic of the block anyways.

I will say though, my Optimus foundation block has a bit of flex due to the center o ring. Optimus confirmed this to be an intentionally engineered aspect of the block. I eventually tried the block with no center o ring, which resulted in a perfectly flat cold plate, and it performed a few degrees worse on my 3900x.

that idea is like a fart in the wind if no one (everyone) else's aquanaut has cold plate bowing like that...

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I grabbed an appogee a few months ago when they were in stock at swiftech... So, I have no experience with the aquanaut, and don't care for the aesthetic of the block anyways.

I will say though, my Optimus foundation block has a bit of flex due to the center o ring. Optimus confirmed this to be an intentionally engineered aspect of the block. I eventually tried the block with no center o ring, which resulted in a perfectly flat cold plate, and it performed a few degrees worse on my 3900x.

that idea is like a fart in the wind if no one (everyone) else's aquanaut has cold plate bowing like that...
Your previous optimus block issue is exactly what I'm getting at w/ the Aquanaut. Nouvolo claims my aquanaut isn't defective, thus meaning the issue is with the design. A precision flat surface is difficult to visually measure and I'm paranoid about potential performance loss due to a slight over-compression. I also really don't want to screw around with lapping the Aquanaut's cold plate. I'll probably end up trying both in order to compare Temp vs. dB...

Reactions: mxj1

rifter

Caliper Novice
Oct 26, 2017
There is also the option from taobao, not sure if this is already known about. I have bought some monoblocks from this seller before, and they are of good quality, so I can at least vouch for that. Assembly can take awhile, my monoblocks usually took around a month. However though those were for the x299e-itx, which isn't really a super popular board, and is essentially obsolete, so stock probably wasn't ready at hand.
Edit: Be aware: the blocks that include a ddc pump use cavity data for the sc-p67, which isn't compatible with a traditional laing ddc pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koxx5D and biopunk

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
There is also the option from taobao, not sure if this is already known about. I have bought some monoblocks from this seller before, and they are of good quality, so I can at least vouch for that. Assembly can take awhile, my monoblocks usually took around a month. However though those were for the x299e-itx, which isn't really a super popular board, and is essentially obsolete, so stock probably wasn't ready at hand.

it doesn't look bad but I don't know how to contact the seller. I tried this

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Is there any info on how tall the whole thing is when assembled?