Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
Filled out the survey today. Little worried as the reward showed only the winter one and solid side panels and not the perforated panels and the pump bracket i opted for.

I hope the survey was just to collect the shipping address and not any confirmation for the rewards again.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
Filled out the survey today. Little worried as the reward showed only the winter one and solid side panels and not the perforated panels and the pump bracket i opted for.

I hope the survey was just to collect the shipping address and not any confirmation for the rewards again.
Your add ins should still be seen on your pledge. I ordered the poster and I still see it there.

Reactions: August and mxj1

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Would people be interested in a group buy of mesh filters?
For side panels, absolutely. I've seen a couple companies offer custom sizes for good prices. Got some for my 011 and now I can't remember the name of the company I got them from...

sarif

Efficiency Noob
Oct 4, 2020
I was originally planning to use the Swiftech res but wound up going the flow-meter-mini-res route in the end—I’m planning to use the performance panels and wanted to minimize the amount I was going to obstruct airflow with a large reservoir pressed up against the side or behind the GPU.

Do you have any recommendations for a flow-meter to use as a reservoir like you suggested here? Or do any smaller ones work fine? First time building a custom loop!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Do you have any recommendations for a flow-meter to use as a reservoir like you suggested here? Or do any smaller ones work fine? First time building a custom loop!

Any 3+ port flow meter works fine. Example:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm getting a 6800XT reference design. It's a 2.7 slot card and got the solid case panels for the eventual SPK. How severe is the performance drop with the solid panels? A couple degrees hotter will be fine.

i believe the worry is that they won't get enough air fed to them. i wonder if you could play around with fan speeds for exhaust at the top and bottom to compensate for it a bit?

So I wasn't willing to make a call on this, until I had seem some 6800XT reviews. But it looks like the GPU is well cooled already, and there's enough thermal headroom on that cooler, that even if you ran a 2.7 slot on the solid panels, it may be run a *bit* hotter (probably 2-4ºC) but should still be fine. :) Hope that helps!

How large is the gap between the power supply and the side panel? Can I route a flat 24pin cable between the PSU and side panel?

I'll pull up the CAD files and get the exact number for you. But you should be able to route a flat 24pin through there. The plastic part on the end may not fit, but the cables should.

Your add ins should still be seen on your pledge. I ordered the poster and I still see it there.

I meant in the survey.

My understanding was the survey is to gather the colour and shipping address only. @WinterCharm has all the options you have chosen in terms of add on's as part of your pledge. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :D

This is a valid concern, and a great question! :) The configurator system that Kickstarter gave me Beta Access to actually records your selections within the backer report, so I didn't need to gather those options from the survey. Traditionally, in Kickstarter, you had to edit your pledge manually for add-ons, but thanks to this configurator, almost all of that is now handled in the backend.

If you talked to me to add something later on, that note is *also* in the Backer Report (which is exactly why I had some of you specifically message me on kickstarter after we talked here / on reddit about some of the optoins). This way, I could add notes *directly* to your order, and it's now contained within the backer report, minimizing the chances of there being an error.

Tl;Dr: Kickstarter's configurator Beta that I had access to handled options and add-ons. I also used the note system if anyone messaged me directly to adjust their order, and all of that is also included in the backer report, and recorded in our Kickstarter Messages. So the survey only needed to check for color selection :)

Would people be interested in a group buy of mesh filters?

For side panels, absolutely. I've seen a couple companies offer custom sizes for good prices. Got some for my 011 and now I can't remember the name of the company I got them from...

Demciflex makes some great filters. I would reach out to them. :)

I'm interested in side panel options as well. I can see someone with solid side panels being interested in, at least, the bottom.
I'm also curious to hear what @WinterCharm has to say about the thermal impact of filters on the sides...

Thermal impact for active cooling won't be too bad, especially since airflow is already outstanding in Winter One. For passive cooling, it can affect things because it's creating more flow restriction for very slow moving warm air.

-----------------

Quick Progress Update:

1. Off-the-shelf parts have been ordered (Keyswitches, Riser Cables, Power Cables, Etc)
  2. Kickstarter Surveys have been sent out. Add ons were recorded directly within your order, so the only thing we needed to survey was color. :)
  3. After some more deliberation, we went with Kailh Box Navy Thick Clicks instead of the original Kailh Box Pale Blues. Both are 60g springs, but the thicker click bar on the Box Navy provides more resistance before the actuation point, *and* has the added bonus of a nicer sound.
  4. Final Validation of the design is ongoing, but nearing completion.
  5. Design and testing of the packaging has started. Packaging is going to be spartan on the outside, but nice on the inside.
  6. I'm waiting final color selections before we kick off manufacturing. :)

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
I'm waiting final color selections before we kick off manufacturing.

For those of us who really don't care about color, will we get the opportunity to be in the first batch regardless of what color we picked? I picked black because I want it faster, but if silver gets more votes, I'm fine with that color too.