Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
Loving the hardline work! Loving the milky colored tubing. Slicing through your fingers is part of the fun, I once found a plastic splinter embedded under a nail two weeks after completing a build.

Out of curiosity, can you shed some light on the radiator orientation and tubing routing options you have chosen?

• My initial plan was to mount both rads with ports towards the rear of the case. Is there a reason you haven't done this?
    • On the CPU side you have the Apogee feeding the rad with a 90 degree angle bend. This could potentially be a straight run with revered radiators.
  • The GPU side you have a U flow path from the top radiator into the graphics card. Is this for aesthetics?
No criticism intended, I'm trying to understand if they are due to something I have overlooked.

The IO on the motherboard would have interfered with any fitting coming out of the bottom rad, so I had to point it the other way. It might still be possible with 280 rads since they're wider, but that depends on the location of the port. Also the io shroud is significantly larger on modern motherboards which might cause issues.

The run from the top radiator to the graphics card is to keep the bottom segment in line with the other run. Purely an aesthetic choice. I couldn't figure out a way to do a straight shot port to port that looked good, so this was my next choice

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
The IO on the motherboard would have interfered with any fitting coming out of the bottom rad, so I had to point it the other way. It might still be possible with 280 rads since they're wider, but that depends on the location of the port. Also the io shroud is significantly larger on modern motherboards which might cause issues.

The run from the top radiator to the graphics card is to keep the bottom segment in line with the other run. Purely an aesthetic choice. I couldn't figure out a way to do a straight shot port to port that looked good, so this was my next choice

Thats great feedback, thank you.

Agreed, with a 280 rad I would hope a straight up and down is possible.

Don't get me wrong it looks awesome, I just wanted to understand if there were limitations I needed to think through.

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
Thats great feedback, thank you.

Agreed, with a 280 rad I would hope a straight up and down is possible.

Don't get me wrong it looks awesome, I just wanted to understand if there were limitations I needed to think through.
It might also be easier with the fan mounted above the radiator. Tubing could sneak through the gap easier than fittings. I didn't even try this because I had enough trouble keeping cables out of the fans when I was air cooling with 28mm more space

Reactions: Goatee

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Any idea if this will fit?

Per OptimumTech with fittings it's 81mm or 72mm with low profile, and the apogee is 74mm with fittings and 81mm with low profile, so it should be ok?
I wondered the same thing and after looking it over, it will not fit, or it will be very tight. To be safe it is recommended to go with the Aquanaut block instead.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Any idea if this will fit?

Per OptimumTech with fittings it's 81mm or 72mm with low profile, and the apogee is 74mm with fittings and 81mm with low profile, so it should be ok?

Try the Aquanaut from Nouvolo! Installed height is only 55mm—including fittings! I believe both Intel and AMD models are available.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Try the Aquanaut from Nouvolo! Installed height is only 55mm—including fittings! I believe both Intel and AMD models are available.
Mine's coming on the 16th, but I'm viewing it as an experiment. I'm still skeptical about the Nouvolo (with jet plate installed) b/c there isn't a ton of reviews on it yet and I can't help but suspect the design makes it prone to turbulence/cavitation when the pump rpm is at or near max.

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
I wondered the same thing and after looking it over, it will not fit, or it will be very tight. To be safe it is recommended to go with the Aquanaut block instead.

Pretty unfortunate, would have been nice to have a res included and save some space and money. Looks like the aquanaut will have to be the way to go, just debating over whether or not to get a small res like the Phanteks R160 or to have no res at all.

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
Pretty unfortunate, would have been nice to have a res included and save some space and money. Looks like the aquanaut will have to be the way to go, just debating over whether or not to get a small res like the Phanteks R160 or to have no res at all.
There is another option. If your card is short enough, which most reference cards are, you can use a 120mm res/pump combo with the pump bracket (assuming you do not need a drive cage). This is what I am planning on doing. Most reference cards with a waterblock will be under 250mm which leaves plenty of room.

There is 312mm of GPU clearance, so just combine the length of the card with the width of the pump/res to see if it fits.

Reactions: DrHudacris

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
There is another option. If your card is short enough, which most reference cards are, you can use a 120mm res/pump combo with the pump bracket (assuming you do not need a drive cage). This is what I am planning on doing. Most reference cards with a waterblock will be under 250mm which leaves plenty of room.

There is 312mm of GPU clearance, so just combine the length of the card with the width of the pump/res to see if it fits.

Currently got the idea of using the drive cage with a 280 and a 140 and haven't ordered the pump bracket (not sure if I can still add it to my pledge). Trying to get my hands on a 6800XT mwhich is only 267m so it is plausible. Might have to give up on the drive cage and just tape some SSDs somewhere in the case and invest in M.2 ?

Reactions: Neptimus7

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Mine's coming on the 16th, but I'm viewing it as an experiment. I'm still skeptical about the Nouvolo (with jet plate installed) b/c there isn't a ton of reviews on it yet and I can't help but suspect the design makes it prone to turbulence/cavitation when the pump rpm is at or near max.

Don't worry about it. DDC pumps are super powerful, and there's no need to run it at 100%. I keep mine below 30% PWM (~1500rpm?), and it's silent and the flow rate is totally adequate, even with three radiators. I'm not using the jet plate, as the CPU temps were fine without it. It was a little challenging to get the air out, but tipping it around (with the outlet at the top) was what finally got the last bit of trapped air out.

I think you'll find that you don't really need a reservoir... you can fill + drain with a quick-disconnect pretty easily, and top-off as bubbles work their way into your radiator tanks. Some folx attach a reservoir just for filling, but I just ran the pump for a while with the loop "open," pouring into a funnel.

Also worth noting that the P160 is not small—almost the height of an ITX board (160mm vs 170mm)!

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
@WinterCharm since the kickstarter was successful, it might be worth changing the thread tag to "production".

Thanks for the nudge! :) just updated it. Going to be pretty busy for the next couple of days, but expect an update by next Friday, about production and stuff. Each version change has a *massive* checklist attached, so I don't forget anything, so I'll be crunching through that for the next little bit. :D

To give you all an idea of what this looks like, here's the Table of Checklists Checklist (meaning each item in each section have their own sub-lists).

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Not thrilled about this one. People wanting a black case funded the KS knowing they were getting a black case in Dec/Jan. People wanting a silver case funded the KS knowing there was a risk they wouldn't get their color in Dec/Jan or maybe at all. The difference in risk expectation is what I'm getting at here.

This is a fair criticism. I will have to walk back what I said about most popular choice first...

Black = First Batch (what was promised when KS started).
Silver = Second Batch (I'm bending the stretch goal to make this happen).

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Whoa, someone needs to get OmniFocus!

Where do you think all the sub-lists live? ;)

But that page is important -- I really like having a high level overview of all the lists. OmniFocus currently doesn't do that, as lists are linearly arranged, in a scrolling list fashion under a single project. Collapsing all of those lets me see if something is done, but doesn't give me a view of what needs to be done for each list, hence this overview page, with a list of lists so I dont have to expand and collapse all lists at the same time. And of course, Omnifocus makes duplicating sub-lists much much easier, which is why I use it. I would love if there was a way to zoom out and see a completing "ring" around each checklist heading, so I could see, at a glance, how things were progressing.

:D but yes, I love omnifocus and omniplan.