Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Would you switch the batch orders to silver first if more people want a silver case than a black?

~~Yes. Most popular option = first batch. Second batch will be the other option.~~
  • Black = First Batch
  • Silver = Second Batch.

Last edited:

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020

GPU side! I need to polish up the metal shroud on the block and shorten the leftmost tube by another millimeter or so to square everything up, but I cut my thumb on an end mill today so I am done dealing with fittings. Points for figuring out what card that is ?

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
I'm still waiting on the final validation prototypes of Black and Silver, however, here's a render showing solid / perf panels in matte black and matte silver.

I should have clarified. I meant to say black case in real life. I’ve seen those pics already. I do like the details such as color matched feet and inside arms

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I should have clarified. I meant to say black case in real life. I’ve seen those pics already. I do like the details such as color matched feet and inside arms

That's much harder to do because I don't have an all-black prototype. One of the reasons the prototype is 2-toned is to get a better idea of both of the true colors, and to troubleshoot the finish. Would a top-down photo of the black top panel help?

Reactions: carlover670

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
That's much harder to do because I don't have an all-black prototype. One of the reasons the prototype is 2-toned is to get a better idea of both of the true colors, and to troubleshoot the finish. Would a top-down photo of the black top panel help?
I’m fine thank you. If possible, can we see what the re designed GPU slot arm looks like. IRRC it now extends to the front panel?

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I’m fine thank you. If possible, can we see what the re designed GPU slot arm looks like. IRRC it now extends to the front panel?

Yeah, I'll be finalizing changes to v11/v12 in the next few days, and then validating some sims for the rest of the week. Expect a lot of show and tell in the next update :) Every change has to be evaluated for affect on airflow before being finalized, so I'm in the middle of doing that with the lower arm design right now. It will probably need some tweaking, as the current design which runs along the bottom of the GPU is causing some weirdness, so I'm testing a few alternatives, including one that runs behind the "middle" of the GPU, and one that runs above it.

Good news is the pump bracket passed airflow validation! :)

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Code:
                       ╭───────────────╮                                   
┌───────────────┐      │ O O O O O O O │     ┌┬────────────────────────────┬┐
│               │      │  O O O O O O  │     ││                            ││
│               │      │ O O O O O O O │     ││                            ││
│               │      │  O O O O O O  │     ││      Congratulations!      ││
│       O       │      │ O O O O O O O │     ││                            ││
└┬─┬─────────┬─┬┘      │ O O O O O O O │     └┴┬─┬──────────────────────┬─┬┴┘
 └─┘         └─┘       ╰───────────────╯       └─┘                      └─┘

(Sorry if proportions are wrong—hard to tell how a given monospace font will render!)

Last edited:

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
i feel like I’m asking too many questions sometimes but is there anything keeping Winter One from having the arms screwed in from the inside of the case in the same way as the front panel connector and power connector?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
At this time, the two toned case will remain exclusive to the Beta testers, as a special edition. This may change in the future, but with the order volume we have right now, it's not really feasible to add a 3rd color option. doing 2 batches for 2 separate colors, is already a stretch, logistically, for silver cases, but I'm doing it because a large number of backers expressed wanting that option.

Understood. I had assumed to make a two tone option, you could make extra top and bottom panel & internals from the first production run (assumed black), with the second production run providing the additional external case panels (assumed silver).

Voila - two tone option without a separate run. But I don't know your manufacturing process, so just an assumption.

Either way congrat's on the funding, cant wait to get it. ?

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
GPU side! I need to polish up the metal shroud on the block and shorten the leftmost tube by another millimeter or so to square everything up, but I cut my thumb on an end mill today so I am done dealing with fittings. Points for figuring out what card that is ?

Loving the hardline work! Loving the milky colored tubing. Slicing through your fingers is part of the fun, I once found a plastic splinter embedded under a nail two weeks after completing a build.

Out of curiosity, can you shed some light on the radiator orientation and tubing routing options you have chosen?

• My initial plan was to mount both rads with ports towards the rear of the case. Is there a reason you haven't done this?
    • On the CPU side you have the Apogee feeding the rad with a 90 degree angle bend. This could potentially be a straight run with revered radiators.
  • The GPU side you have a U flow path from the top radiator into the graphics card. Is this for aesthetics?
No criticism intended, I'm trying to understand if they are due to something I have overlooked.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
i feel like I’m asking too many questions sometimes but is there anything keeping Winter One from having the arms screwed in from the inside of the case in the same way as the front panel connector and power connector?

not at all! Asking questions is a good thing. This particular instance has to do with strength and threading. If the panel is 0.75cm thick we can only really do about 0.5cm of threaded Thickness into the panel. Then the only thing holding the arm to the panel is that threading.

by going into the arms from the rear, you get the extra support of the screw Head, the same through distance, and 0.25mm of a slot that adds additional support on all sides of the arm, on the inside of the panel, further bracing it.

the arms hold a lot of weight, unlike the power button, and it was a functional choice.

Reactions: ckrueger99

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Yes. Most popular option = first batch. Second batch will be the other option.
Not thrilled about this one. People wanting a black case funded the KS knowing they were getting a black case in Dec/Jan. People wanting a silver case funded the KS knowing there was a risk they wouldn't get their color in Dec/Jan or maybe at all. The difference in risk expectation is what I'm getting at here.

Reactions: mxj1 and Mikecom32