Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

ChorizoNinja

Average Stuffer
Jan 12, 2020
@WinterCharm is the current version in kickstarter allowed to have a GTS 280 and 2x25mm fans?

Less important would be if it is allowed to put a D5 on the universal bracket. Is a matter of preference.

If the response to the first question is a yes, you are going to have 2 more orders.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
I wouldn't have put it like that, but I do suspect a majority of the current 280 rad builders plan to use the GTS and I know I personally would like to see the "tightest clearances" possible in a case I'm dropping $380 for rather than a loose-fit case designed to accommodate everything.

I wouldn't have put it like that either.

Agreed, and at the end of the day, this is a machined aluminum case meant for space optimization. Supporting the best performing 280mm slim rads for custom loop builders, and not every AIO, or rad in existence seems reasonable.

I haven't seen anything else as far as rad support request go other than the st30 v.2, and it's +4 mm in length larger than the GTS. If the GTS touches both end panels on this case when installed, that will be the tightest radiator fitment I've ever encountered in a case - though I'll admit I'm still new in the SFF world.

@WinterCharm

Can you squash this and tell is what the internal dimensions are for the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
@WinterCharm is the current version in kickstarter allowed to have a GTS 280 and 2x25mm fans?

Less important would be if it is allowed to put a D5 on the universal bracket. Is a matter of preference.

If the response to the first question is a yes, you are going to have 2 more orders.

The max radiator thickness is listed as 57 mm, so GTS and 25mm fans should clear.

My understanding on the pump bracket is that you can't use it and a radiator, so you're limited to 1x140 + pump bracket. Max height pump, when mounted on the pump bracket is 46 mm when using a full length GPU.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I got an EK VTX pump/reservoir combo, it's quite powerful, it can handle two 280 radiators with ease imo.

An user from sff.net tested the VTX against the D5 and the results are awesome:
VTX at 55%: 155L/h
D5 at 55%: 75 l/h

I currently use the VTX pump in my system a 30%, it's pretty much inaudible.

Not sure what would be the best option for a top to use the pump standalone and the best reservoir to use also as standalone, perhaps use the Phanteks reservoir or the Switech micro res? Any opinions?

The EK VTX pump can use anything compatible with the DDC pumps, since it's the same format, but slightly higher height If I'm not mistaken.
Isn't the EK VTX pump the one that's notorious for self-destructing? Probably something they fixed by now, but I thought there were a bunch of bearing/impeller/something failures when it first came out.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Not sure what would be the best option for a top to use the pump standalone and the best reservoir to use also as standalone, perhaps use the Phanteks reservoir or the Switech micro res? Any opinions?

I was originally planning to use the Swiftech res but wound up going the flow-meter-mini-res route in the end—I’m planning to use the performance panels and wanted to minimize the amount I was going to obstruct airflow with a large reservoir pressed up against the side or behind the GPU.

jupiterking

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 23, 2020
Sure! :) Could you please copy/paste this in a message on Kickstarter?
  1. Head to the Kickstarter Page
  2. Click on my creator bio (see image), and scroll down. (see image below)
  3. Click the blue "Contact me" button to send me a message directly on KS. (see image below)
And we'll figure it out from there! :)
Whoa! I’m curious, what are your thoughts on cooling with one of each? I’d love to use a perforated on my GPU side with fans in exhaust and a solid panel on the other side.

• Haha

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Whoa! I’m curious, what are your thoughts on cooling with one of each? I’d love to use a perforated on my GPU side with fans in exhaust and a solid panel on the other side.
Thats my plan, solid panel on the CPU side, GPU side (facing away from me perforated).

• Wow

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
The thread is accelerating. O_O Bear with me as this will be the mother of all reply posts.

OUCH $24 shipping on that block! I mean I still bought one just to try it out but OUCH. I think one of the problems with current sandwich style cases is that they have so little space ABOVE the CPU socket, making them difficult to squeeze in a reservoir that will feed CPU-block mounted pumps. I don't have a solution to this - just expressing my own frustrations and wishes.

One way to solve this problem is to use the top radiator outlet as the reservoir for the CPU-pump block. The ideal layout of Radiators in Winter One (for bottom to top or all-exhaust flow) is: CPU Block >> Lower Rad >> GPU Block >> Upper Rad >> CPU Block. As long as you feed the pump from the top radiator, there will be a reasonable amount of pressure-head, and the pump won't run dry. Additionally, you can attach a T- Junction directly behind the pump, and connect a temporary reservoir to some flex tubing off that T-Junct to fill the loop under external power.

SFF always comes with some compromises. But we all do what we can to make the acceptable. ?

I can't wait to see that pump bracket. This case keeps getting better, and it is not even out yet! Also good news on the GPU side, the new AMD cards are actually smaller than the NVIDIAs so that will be perfect for this case.

The Pump Bracket will be incredibly flexible, which is ideal for a case like this. Simple and Elegant.

@WinterCharm, my understanding is that the perforated side panels are simply solid side panels with holes in them. There is no difference in thickness between the two. So why the difference in the supported GPU's? (i.e. 2.5 vs 3 slot). Can a 3 slot GPU not "breathe" with the solid side panel?

3-slot GPUs run too close to the side panel, and if there isn't perforation to allow for restriction-free intake, it's tough for the GPU to get enough airflow. This is still an SFF case, so tight packing of components is to be expected. The benefit is that if you use a 2 or 2.5-ish slot option you can comfortably use solid panels without any performance impact. When you start hitting 2.75 slots or larger, it's really important to get the perforated panel(s).

From my previous conversation with him I believe that is correct, a 3 slot wouldn’t have any (or enough?) space between the case to allow for intake.

Correct!

QoL to fit 316 mm alphacool radiators would be awesome. These are the shortest 280s that have ports on both sides. This is a big deal because it allows us water coolers the ability to make a loop with no reservoir.

Why not increase the length by another 60mm to accommodate 360 rads. And increase the height to accommodate monsta rads and atx boards. And increase the thickness to accommodate tower coolers.

Scope creep is a very real thing. And a very obnoxious thing when you've hit production time

I wouldn't have put it like that, but I do suspect a majority of the current 280 rad builders plan to use the GTS and I know I personally would like to see the "tightest clearances" possible in a case I'm dropping $380 for rather than a loose-fit case designed to accommodate everything.

You're misunderstanding my sentiment, and embellishing my inquiry to prove a point... but it's not a valid point here.

I did not ask for the dimensions to change directly to accommodate these larger radiators. I've already pledged. I'm already buying this case, as-is. I'm genuinely curious if the gts 280 at 312 mm is touching the ends of the case, or if there's literally 2 mm on each end that would accommodate this larger radiator. IMO, this is not unreasonable.

I wouldn't have put it like that either.
I haven't seen anything else as far as rad support request go other than the st30 v.2, and it's +4 mm in length larger than the GTS. If the GTS touches both end panels on this case when installed, that will be the tightest radiator fitment I've ever encountered in a case - though I'll admit I'm still new in the SFF world.

@WinterCharm

Can you squash this and tell is what the internal dimensions are for the case?

So here' my take on this:

1. The external dimensions of Winter One are locked in -- They are immutable. this has to do with the CNC equipment used. Literally bumping up against the limit of what some of my manufacturers can handle size-wise, especially after the slight demension increase from the RTX 3090 and addition of 55mm Fan/Rad Support (30mm rad + 25mm fan). Going bigger will cause insane delays, as I will have to find and contract new manufacturing for some of the panels. I don't think anyone who's backing Winter One wants that.

2. At the same time, the front and rear panels have considerable thickness. Reducing that thickness is not a trivial thing -- these panels are structural components, as there is *no* inner frame on Winter One -- just a lower central beam to hold the front/rear parallel in combination with the lower platform. The Front and Rear panels bear a considerable load from all the components attached to them, and are under more torsion than even the lower panel (bottom plate is most load, but it's spread across a large area).

3. The front and rear panels are 5mm thick, on the ends. This could be shaved down to 2.5mm on the top and bottom areas of each panel, however the screw posts which are currently gently sloped (just sticking out about 2.5mm, and mostly out of the way) will still need to be there, to anchor the top and bottom panels to the front and rear panels. While that means there *might* be room to increase "total" radiator length from 312 to 316mm, it will come with the requirement of 0.5cm rounded corners on those radiators... which may just cause people to buy too-long radiators, that still won't actually fit due to the corners, even if they fit on paper, based on one length.

4. When you combine the risk of #3, with the possibility of compromising stability of the case, and weakening the important, load-bearing screw-posts by having them stick out much further from the front/rear panel... it's a concerning move. These 8 posts (4 top, 4 bottom) must hold the weight of the case If you pick it up by the top grille, or something push on the front/rear, or if you have really heavy copper blocks that create downward torsion on the mounting arms, as if they're a lever... that's a dangerous combo.

5. I can do a little exploring to see if we can thin the front / rear near the radiator area, maybe give people back another 1-2 mm overall, but going much thinner than that is a dangerous game. Not because 2.5mm aluminum panels aren't strong, but with enough leverage and torsion, you can bend anything. IMO. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to structural components that are holding up (potentially) thousands of dollars of precious silicon, beautiful water blocks, and data that may be irreplaceable.

6. I cannot promise anything, but to answer the question directly, currently the walls are effectively touching the ends of the GTS 280 radiator. However, they're thick, and I MIGHT be able to scoop out another 1-2mm overall. I will at least take a look by running some FEA on this, and see what kind of load it will bear under the absolute worst conditions.

I know this seems like a long / rambling response, but I tried to lay out all the tradeoffs and different things at play. I hope this added clarity to the decisions before us.

@thoughtfix the nuovolo aquanaut is another cpu block/pump combo that should fit.

I have a swiftech apogee drive ii in the beta right now, and it needs lower profile fittings than what I've got on hand. (if anybody has a pair of koolance low profile elbows, help. They're oos everywhere)

For the reservoir, I'll be using a t-line. There's plenty of space elsewhere in the case to sneak a ball valve for draining

Apogee Drive ii is awesome. :)

@WinterCharm when is the SPK NDA lifted? I feel like that is this cases’s biggest selling feature (not casting a shadow on the other amazing qualities) and knowing more about it will get people really existed! I mean the sorta goals the SPK is set to will be a major feat and the first of its kind! I don’t think we’ve seen a passively cooled heatsink that could run silent under small loads but can also cool a 6800xt at max load with minimal noise!

SPK NDA won't be lifted until sometime mid-next year... development has a ways to go. I wish I could talk more about it, but the development partner does not want to give away too much of their heat sink design process (understandably). This is just one of those times I'll have to say "look back at the entire body of work that went into developing Winter One, and imagine that same level of care and detail being taken, to create the SPK" -- I know it's a lot to ask of everyone, but I hope that showing all my work with Winter One has earned at least a little trust that we will take immense care with the SPK and make sure it's amazing before we say it's ready. <3

Just to second this, I have a T1 with an aquanaut. I'm currently using something like 10 * 90 degree angles, 2 x 240mm radiators and a GPU block in addition the the aquanaut.

Flow is adequate at ~2500rpm on an EK PWM DDC, which is near silent.

I'm looking forward to test all that (and more) in the winter 1.

Aquanaut sounds amazing. Nouvolo certainly did the entire community a favor by designing it. We need more low profile CPU blocks.

The max radiator thickness is listed as 57 mm, so GTS and 25mm fans should clear.
My understanding on the pump bracket is that you can't use it and a radiator, so you're limited to 1x140 + pump bracket. Max height pump, when mounted on the pump bracket is 46 mm when using a full length GPU.

So that's not Exactly True. You cannot use the Pump Bracket with a drive cage because both of them use the same screw holes. However, a Pump Bracket CAN be used with Dual 280mm radiators (Or a 280+140), because it can flexibly mount to the Top OR Bottom tapped screw holes in the front panel, allowing you to place it at 2 separate levels, based on your needs. It also has cork padding to dampen pump vibrations. ?

So, this isn't ideal. It will hurt performance a bit... which is why I don't necessarily want to encourage this setup. It means there is likely to be some dead air above the components on the side of the solid panel, if you operate in all-exhaust mode. Bottom >> Top Mode will be far better for mixed panel setups, as you'll at least move that hot air away from the components on the solid panel side. (and perforated panels do not badly affect flow on the other side).

Thats my plan, solid panel on the CPU side, GPU side (facing away from me perforated).

Again, I'd encourage Bottom >> Top flow with this setup, because I have concerns about the CPU side getting a bit *too* hot if you run in all-exhaust mode.

1. YES. The Kickstarter Version is V1.1 (or v11 as I like to call it -- same thing) -- it will have: GTS 280 + 2x25mm fan support!!! :)
2. D5 will work on the Universal Bracket. But it's a big pump, so you will give up one of the bottom radiator slots (280+140+D5)

V11 is almost exactly the same design as the beta (V10), just a few mm longer and taller, to accommodate:
  • RTX 3090 FE (yes, it does fit. BARELY - you will have to build the case around it)
  • GTS 280 radiators (30mm thick)
  • 25mm fans
  • QOL improvements based on beta feedback (better cable routing, a place to mount the Aquacomputer Quadro, etc).
---------------

I would also like to emphasize, just what a frameless design means. There is beauty in minimalism:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I'm curious to see what you find, but it definitely sounds like some 280 gts rads are in my future...

The scariest part is this: Up until now, all watercooling thermal tests done by @Qzrx were just with dual 240's and solid panels. The results are already jaw-dropping, but 280mm radiators are just 10% less area than 360mm radiators, and perforated panels mean you don't take the efficiency hit of running warmer air into radiator #2... So there's a LOT of extra thermal headroom here...

Winter One cooling in a single meme:

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
The scariest part is this: Up until now, all watercooling thermal tests done by @Qzrx were just with dual 240's and solid panels. The results are already jaw-dropping, but 280mm radiators are just 10% less area than 360mm radiators, and perforated panels mean you don't take the efficiency hit of running warmer air into radiator #2... So there's a LOT of extra thermal headroom here...

Winter One cooling in a single meme:

I wasn’t even using dual 240GTS’s. They were Magicool G2 Slims.

Which are about 15% less performance than a 240GTS. And a 240GTS is about 20% less cooling performance than a 280GTS.

?

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
Isn't the EK VTX pump the one that's notorious for self-destructing? Probably something they fixed by now, but I thought there were a bunch of bearing/impeller/something failures when it first came out.

Mine is still going strong I hope it lasts, it's silent and powerful ?

G-Rul1511

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 29, 2020
5. I can do a little exploring to see if we can thin the front / rear near the radiator area, maybe give people back another 1-2 mm overall, but going much thinner than that is a dangerous game. Not because 2.5mm aluminum panels aren't strong, but with enough leverage and torsion, you can bend anything. IMO. I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to structural components that are holding up (potentially) thousands of dollars of precious silicon, beautiful water blocks, and data that may be irreplaceable.

6. I cannot promise anything, but to answer the question directly, currently the walls are effectively touching the ends of the GTS 280 radiator. However, they're thick, and I MIGHT be able to scoop out another 1-2mm overall. I will at least take a look by running some FEA on this, and see what kind of load it will bear under the absolute worst conditions.

Greetings! I can probably share my experience of my personal rig using 5.2liter aluminum case by LzMod. The panels are aluminum, super sturdy and they have thickness of around 3-4mm each. After around 5 months of use, the back panel bends due to... the weight of both the motherboard and the gpu?

It behooves me why this happens since the components are not that heavy, I havent changed any of the components ever since i built it; and this happened just a few weeks ago, it was fine before that.

I know this is rather unhelpful information but I can confirm that at 3mm thickness, it can still bend.

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
earned at least a little trust
You had my trust at HomePod two years ago! I wouldn’t spend $300+ on something that I don’t trust. I‘m really confident that the case will be amazing! I’ve been waiting so long to build a new computer but something always comprised in a way I didn’t like but this case checks all the boxes. Couple this with Zen 3 and RDNA 2, it’s like a sign from the tech gods that this is the time to build.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I’d suggest using a standalone D5 along with a smaller reservoir or T-line. Something the Quantum Intertia from EK combined with a flow meter like this Bykski 3-way Flow Indicator with the impeller removed to act as a small reservoir would be a perfect combination. You could also use a compact reservoir tucked behind the GPU like the Swiftech Micro-Res.

It's hard to imagine without seeing the pump bracket, but under the top radiator I could actually install a flow indicator like this Bitspower (without the impeller) and then a stand alone D5 (DDC ?) pump or an aquanaut + DDC pump.

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
1. YES. The Kickstarter Version is V1.1 (or v11 as I like to call it -- same thing) -- it will have: GTS 280 + 2x25mm fan support!!! :)
2. D5 will work on the Universal Bracket. But it's a big pump, so you will give up one of the bottom radiator slots (280+140+D5)
Did something change? Because my understanding was..
a) It will also have 280GTS + 27mm fan support (e.g. P14 PST)
b) Using a D5 without a reservoir is possible with Dual 280.