Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

carlover670

Average Stuffer
Oct 22, 2020
@WinterCharm when is the SPK NDA lifted? I feel like that is this cases’s biggest selling feature (not casting a shadow on the other amazing qualities) and knowing more about it will get people really existed! I mean the sorta goals the SPK is set to will be a major feat and the first of its kind! I don’t think we’ve seen a passively cooled heatsink that could run silent under small loads but can also cool a 6800xt at max load with minimal noise!

Reactions: WinterCharm

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
It is a replacement. Because of reserved production capacity, the materials for each case are already allocated and ready to go. What you're selecting is how the slab that becomes your side panel will be machined and finished. Because the panels are 2.5mm thick, there's a considerable amount of care that goes into properly finishing the insides of the large holes, in addition to machine time from drilling, hence the extra cost.

Is it possible to add an option to have 1 of each type of panel? i.e. one solid, one perforated?

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
I have seen that one... I have 360 version of that. ?
I really don't care for the branding on that one. As well, it's 16 fpi, whereas the st30 is 12. This will allow me to run slower fan speeds.
Why not increase the length by another 60mm to accommodate 360 rads. And increase the height to accommodate monsta rads and atx boards. And increase the thickness to accommodate tower coolers.

Scope creep is a very real thing. And a very obnoxious thing when you've hit production time

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Why not increase the length by another 60mm to accommodate 360 rads. And increase the height to accommodate monsta rads and atx boards. And increase the thickness to accommodate tower coolers.

Scope creep is a very real thing. And a very obnoxious thing when you've hit production time
I wouldn't have put it like that, but I do suspect a majority of the current 280 rad builders plan to use the GTS and I know I personally would like to see the "tightest clearances" possible in a case I'm dropping $380 for rather than a loose-fit case designed to accommodate everything.

incunabula

Average Stuffer
Jun 14, 2019
I wouldn't have put it like that, but I do suspect a majority of the current 280 rad builders plan to use the GTS and I know I personally would like to see the "tightest clearances" possible in a case I'm dropping $380 for rather than a loose-fit case designed to accommodate everything.

Agreed, and at the end of the day, this is a machined aluminum case meant for space optimization. Supporting the best performing 280mm slim rads for custom loop builders, and not every AIO, or rad in existence seems reasonable.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
User Thoughtfix Reached out to me Via the Kickstarter Comments, and Linked to a discussion elsewhere. I'm copying it into this thread, as I think it'll be beneficial for people to read here. :)

I just spent another 20 minutes re-watching the kickstarter and assembly videos for the Winter One and honestly do not know where I'd possibly mount a pump and any fill/drain spots in it. The photo on the kickstarter just showed a pump hanging out of the side. It can't take a wall-mounted reservoir like I did with my SM570 (linked above) because drilling through the front would show the screws. I thought maybe I could go with something like I did in my SV590 case and use a Glacier R160 pump/res but on a with space for the pump provided by a short RTX 30-series card:

But even that doesn't have any place for it to screw down. The only two options I see left are using an Eisbaer Solo LT and no reservoir. The listed 70mm clearance excludes the Eisbaer Solo with fittings) which probably won't happily run two blocks and two rads. The Apogee Drive II with angled fittings might BARELY fit if angled fittings are used. The Barrowtech 3-in-1 is just too tall.

There is still the option to run a 140mm in the bottom and a 280mm in the top. I am not confident that can handle an OC'd 9700k and OC'd 3090, but it might. It's quite a bit more surface area (both in the fans and in the radiators) than the singe 360 I was rocking in the SV590. It wouldn't be beautiful, but it might work.

I backed it with $10 just for the updates, but I want to build before December so I don't know if I'll preorder on KS. Oh how I wish I was involved in that beta program! I'd have shipped him my own Glacier 160 and said "This is perfect - make it fit!"

There's going to be an update on Monday or Tuesday, that shows the pump bracket design, and how it will allow you to accommodate a similar type of pump-res to the one you've shown above.

Remember, the pump / res space in Winter One is really dependent on the GPU length and thickness. Because the case accommodates 3-slot GPUs and most water blocks are 1-slot, there's a lot of leftover room for a res to the side of the GPU, near the panel, feeding a pump below it.

The pump bracket I've designed lets you attach something to the front panel in multiple orientations -- screw holes facing up, facing out from the front panel, OR facing sideways, parallel to the side panel). The front panel also has 4 tapped / threaded screw holes -- so yes -- even the mounting shown in the trailer video will work. and you can even 3D print something custom to take advantage of those holes... I'll be showing the final version of the pump bracket, as well as a detailed diagram of the actual volume.

If you want to use a RES that feeds a DDC or D5 pump, a rectangular res/pump top type enclosure like the one in your picture, has room to exist between the GPU block and side panel.

Based on the Dimensions Listed Here the Phanteks Glacier R160 will Fit in Winter One -- however, the ability to sideways-mount a DDC pump directly to the reservoir will depend entirely on how short your GPU is. But, Using it as a standalone RES to provide pressure head to a DDC pump would work perfectly, with dual 280mm radiators. If you step down to 140+280, you could use the Glacier R160 with the integrated pump mount.

A couple of additional things:

1. I'll be quoting your message and reply, and putting them in the Winter One discussion in the main thread? I think this discussion would actually be very beneficial for others to hear about.
2. Could we keep subsequent discussion about Winter One in that thread? It's already starting to get fragmented between the two reddit threads, and SFF.net thread.

Last edited:

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
@thoughtfix the nuovolo aquanaut is another cpu block/pump combo that should fit.

I have a swiftech apogee drive ii in the beta right now, and it needs lower profile fittings than what I've got on hand. (if anybody has a pair of koolance low profile elbows, help. They're oos everywhere)

For the reservoir, I'll be using a t-line. There's plenty of space elsewhere in the case to sneak a ball valve for draining

Reactions: Koxx5D

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
@thoughtfix the nuovolo aquanaut is another cpu block/pump combo that should fit.

I have a swiftech apogee drive ii in the beta right now, and it needs lower profile fittings than what I've got on hand. (if anybody has a pair of koolance low profile elbows, help. They're oos everywhere)

For the reservoir, I'll be using a t-line. There's plenty of space elsewhere in the case to sneak a ball valve for draining
I think I've got 8 total and 4 sitting in my fittings bin (one still in packaging). I might be able to part with a couple... ☺

Edit: you can also get some barrowch piano elbows. I don't like them though b/c it's a brass core with an aluminum alloy body.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000559430437.html

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Is it possible to add an option to have 1 of each type of panel? i.e. one solid, one perforated?

Sure! :) Could you please copy/paste this in a message on Kickstarter?
  1. Head to the Kickstarter Page
  2. Click on my creator bio (see image), and scroll down. (see image below)
  3. Click the blue "Contact me" button to send me a message directly on KS. (see image below)
And we'll figure it out from there! :)

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Thanks everyone. I am familiar with the T-type reservoir and got it working in my SM570 build, but it was soooo annoying that I don't want to go that route again. It only worked because I was able to sneak in the pump on the front panel. If I could drill the front panel on the Winter One without making it ugly, I'd be happier. I think the new shorter RTX 30-series cards with waterblocks will make life easier presuming you can get one with a reference PCB, which sadly I did not. I also experimented with a flow meter as a tiny res in my SV590, but was so happy I got the Glacier R160 to handle that job which barely fit thanks to the extra space created by waterblock on the GPU.

If anyone else is curious about the other thread that didn't start out as a Winter One thread but became one, that's here.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020

Indeed, the auquanaut is an interesting alternative to the apogee II which is very difficult for me to obtain. On the other hand, as I'm going to use 2 GTS 280 radiators and 2 waterblocks (cpu/graphics cards), I'm not sure that the DDC pump is suitable for me especially if I take into account the flow restriction of the radiators + the 90° elbows. The new AMD graphics cards seem very short which could simplify my project and allow me to install a D5 / TOP on the future bracket. I keep my fingers crossed ...

In any case, I love this case and its concept, even if, as often, I have to be ingenious and make concessions when installing the components.

This is of course only my opinion, which has no more value than any other.

Last edited:

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019

OUCH $24 shipping on that block! I mean I still bought one just to try it out but OUCH. I think one of the problems with current sandwich style cases is that they have so little space ABOVE the CPU socket, making them difficult to squeeze in a reservoir that will feed CPU-block mounted pumps. I don't have a solution to this - just expressing my own frustrations and wishes.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
Indeed, the auquanaut is an interesting alternative to the apogee II which is very difficult for me to obtain. On the other hand, as I'm going to use 2 GTS 280 radiators and 2 waterblocks (cpu/graphics cards), I'm not sure that the DDC pump is suitable for me especially if I take into account the flow restriction of the radiators + the 90° elbows. The new AMD graphics cards seem very short which could simplify my project and allow me to install a D5 / TOP on the future bracket. I keep my fingers crossed ...

In any case, I love this case and its concept, even if, as often, I have to be ingenious and make concessions when installing the components.

This is of course only my opinion, which has no more value than any other.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version) ==>> it's better for you and me ...
I 100% promise you the DDC will be able to handle the 2x 280 rads and do so at a pump rpm setpoint below 50%

efegue

Average Stuffer
Sep 19, 2018
I got an EK VTX pump/reservoir combo, it's quite powerful, it can handle two 280 radiators with ease imo.

An user from sff.net tested the VTX against the D5 and the results are awesome:
VTX at 55%: 155L/h
D5 at 55%: 75 l/h

I currently use the VTX pump in my system a 30%, it's pretty much inaudible.

Not sure what would be the best option for a top to use the pump standalone and the best reservoir to use also as standalone, perhaps use the Phanteks reservoir or the Switech micro res? Any opinions?

The EK VTX pump can use anything compatible with the DDC pumps, since it's the same format, but slightly higher height If I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

You're misunderstanding my sentiment, and embellishing my inquiry to prove a point... but it's not a valid point here.

I did not ask for the dimensions to change directly to accommodate these larger radiators. I've already pledged. I'm already buying this case, as-is. I'm genuinely curious if the gts 280 at 312 mm is touching the ends of the case, or if there's literally 2 mm on each end that would accommodate this larger radiator. IMO, this is not unreasonable.

Reactions: efegue

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Oh that's good news, it gives me other alternatives. Thank you.

Just to second this, I have a T1 with an aquanaut. I'm currently using something like 10 * 90 degree angles, 2 x 240mm radiators and a GPU block in addition the the aquanaut.

Flow is adequate at ~2500rpm on an EK PWM DDC, which is near silent.

I'm looking forward to test all that (and more) in the winter 1.