Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

gelbetron

Caliper Novice
Sep 18, 2020
That's lighter than I was expecting! Are any of the beta testers going to do full air-cooling builds? Would love to hear how they go
I've been testing a few air cooling configurations with gtx 1060s. Wintercharm asked me to test a bunch of different ratios of "solid to open" walls (I taped cardboard strips of varying heights where the side panels would go). He's doing all the analysis stuff on it, so I'm not going to dive into it too too much, but the results were interesting, and should have lasting implications on sandwich case design.
I've also got a 1080 with a morpheus that should be really interesting to test. I may be able to squeeze slim fans on it, otherwise it'll be a baby SPK.
The last beta tester has a 3700x under an L12, and an air-cooled 2080ti. Again, wintercharm is the one analyzing the data here, and I haven't looked at the testing results, so I don't really have anything to say about the performance.

I know I'm being a tease, but at least you know what sort of data to expect

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I have a full air cooled build. This is the coolest and quietest my RTX 2080 Ti FE has ever been in any case.

Yeah, we had to do some troubleshooting because airflow in this case is so strong it actually hurt thermals in one of the configurations by fighting the GPU cooler, but once we got that sorted out, it's been smooth sailing ^_^

Reactions: Kundahli

Kundahli

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 29, 2017
Are those the feet the retail unit will ship with? Something about them cheapens the look of the case, imo

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
Looking at the pictures of @Qzrx I just realized I might have a problem with my GPU width. From the picture it looks like there's not much more space left, using the magicool (27mm) + noctua (25mm) + the reference vector (127,6).

I was thinking, if the 3090 FE will fit then im fine, but I forgot then you wont calculate in the radiator. Additionally the HW Labs 280 is almost 30 mm and the most popular 140 fans P14 or NF-A14 would be 27mm.

Long story short, could you include the possible length of gpu width (height) + fan + radiator when finishing up the specs?

The EK-Classic block raises my trio to 152,5mm ?

Reactions: WinterCharm

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
This case looks great! My only concern is the lack of 30mm rad support if you want to use 25mm fans. There aren't that many great sub-30mm radiators out there last time I checked. I personally would not have minded if the case was a tad bigger in order to accommodate something like a GTS 240 + A12x25s.

Although there is the recently release NexXxoS ST25, but I have yet to see any benchmarks. Hopefully they came be competitive with the GTS. They could be perfect for this case.

Really looking forward to the Kickstarter. I put some money aside just for this case.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Are those the feet the retail unit will ship with? Something about them cheapens the look of the case, imo

These are the retail feet. However, trust me they're anything but cheap. All the beta testers who've held them have said they *love* the feet. Also, they're padded with Cork on the bottom so they make a nice "thwok"sound when you put them on a surface.

They feel *really* good. And they're necessary for airflow.

Looking at the pictures of @Qzrx I just realized I might have a problem with my GPU width. From the picture it looks like there's not much more space left, using the magicool (27mm) + noctua (25mm) + the reference vector (127,6).

I was thinking, if the 3090 FE will fit then im fine, but I forgot then you wont calculate in the radiator. Additionally the HW Labs 280 is almost 30 mm and the most popular 140 fans P14 or NF-A14 would be 27mm.

Long story short, could you include the possible length of gpu width (height) + fan + radiator when finishing up the specs?

The EK-Classic block raises my trio to 152,5mm ?

I will be sure to list GPU height specs / restrictions in the final specs. and be specific about water cooling vs air cooling clearances. v 1.1 (the KS version) will have some minor dimension changes.

This case looks great! My only concern is the lack of 30mm rad support if you want to use 25mm fans. There aren't that many great sub-30mm radiators out there last time I checked. I personally would not have minded if the case was a tad bigger in order to accommodate something like a GTS 240 + A12x25s.

Although there is the recently release NexXxoS ST25, but I have yet to see any benchmarks. Hopefully they came be competitive with the GTS. They could be perfect for this case.

Really looking forward to the Kickstarter. I put some money aside just for this case.

Because of Dimension Changes that added 3090 support, the case is also being updated to support 30mm radiators + 25mm fans. While the Beta was restricted to 27mm radiators + 25mm fans, the final version will not have that issue :)

It was frustrating for myself, and the beta testers, to find slim radiators, so I completely sympathize with that, and it's one of the main reasons we decided to make some changes.

Last edited:

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
*** MODBREAK ***

In these times that the world is in right now, it's easy to see all of the negativity that goes around and from the previous experiences this forum has had, I think it's important that we highlight the positive things in life, in the world and specially in this forum.

A place that we all have come to love, that we visit on a frequent basis - to share our knowledge, ideas, friendship and love to one another, in a common interest that we all have, both as enthusiasts and as hobbyists.

With this said, I would like to take this moment at hand and give a shout out to @WinterCharm for being very genuine, open minded, interested and honest in answering as much as he can from all users that have questions regarding his unfinished project.

Very nice, welcoming and respectful to see! :)

Arviel

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2020
These are the retail feet. However, trust me they're anything but cheap. All the beta testers who've held them have said they *love* the feet. Also, they're padded with Cork on the bottom so they make a nice "thwok"sound when you put them on a surface.

They feel *really* good. And they're necessary for airflow.

I will be sure to list GPU height specs / restrictions in the final specs. and be specific about water cooling vs air cooling clearances. v 1.1 (the KS version) will have some minor dimension changes.

Because of Dimension Changes that added 3090 support, the case is also being updated to support 30mm radiators + 25mm fans. While the Beta was restricted to 27mm radiators + 25mm fans, the final version will not have that issue :)

It was frustrating for myself, and the beta testers, to find slim radiators, so I completely sympathize with that, and it's one of the main reasons we decided to make some changes.
Oh wow! I didn't know you were making that change. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much! This really was my only concern regarding this case. Now it truly feels like my dream case. I can't wait!

While looking over some of the pictures you posted, I noticed that there is a mesh/perforated side panel. I got me thinking, would it make any sort of sense to have both rad as intake, and have the air be pushed out through the side panel? That way both radiators are takin in cool air.

I am not sure if you've had the chance to test something like that.

Klasik

Chassis Packer
Jul 13, 2020
Oh wow! I didn't know you were making that change. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much! This really was my only concern regarding this case. Now it truly feels like my dream case. I can't wait!

While looking over some of the pictures you posted, I noticed that there is a mesh/perforated side panel. I got me thinking, would it make any sort of sense to have both rad as intake, and have the air be pushed out through the side panel? That way both radiators are takin in cool air.

I am not sure if you've had the chance to test something like that.

See THIS post by WinterCharm, mainly the fourth CFD image. All intake is not recommended.