Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Sorry for the questions, not sure if I am understanding correctly. Do I need to go across the spine two times?
No, you should only need to go across the spine once, to connect the CPU outlet to the GPU inlet.

What I was saying about the pump is that it can go between those two components *or* go between the vertical line from the top radiator to the bottom radiator.

That's the general loop setup for creating countercurrent flow in a case with solid panels.

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
Sorry for the questions, not sure if I am understanding correctly. Do I need to go across the spine two times?
Yup, once using the radiator as the traverse and once with actual tube. I'm waiting to see completed builds ... I'm sacrificing 140mm of rad to ensure the use of a D5 and I'm waiting to see if the extra complexity of this loop order is worth the effort.

Reactions: WinterCharm

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks for the help! The way I am thinking about it is as follows. I must still be missing something:

CPU Side: Bottom rad port (on CPU side) to CPU in, CPU out across spine to GPU in

GPU Side: GPU Out to top rad port ( on GPU side), top rad port (on CPU side) through pump to bottom rad port ( on GPU side)

Sorry for being dense about this, maybe this will be easier to visualize once I have all the stuff installed in the case.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for the help! The way I am thinking about it is as follows. I must still be missing something:

CPU Side: Bottom rad port (on CPU side) to CPU in, CPU out across spine to GPU in

GPU Side: GPU Out to top rad port ( on GPU side), top rad port (on CPU side) through pump to bottom rad port ( on GPU side)

Sorry for being dense about this, maybe this will be easier to visualize once I have all the stuff installed in the case.

Yes, that loop order would work: For extra clarity for anyone else reading, here's a more detailed callout of how this loop order would work. I did mis-speak - this loop order requires 2 travels across the spine IF you have radiators with ports on one side only.

Bottom Rad Outlet on CPU side >> CPU in. / CPU out >> Across Spine >> GPU in >> GPU out >> Top RAD inlet GPU side. >> Top Rad outlet CPU side >> Across Spine >> Down to Pump >> Bottom Rad Inlet GPU side >> Bottom Rad Outlet CPU side (back to beginning).

--------------------------

Yup, once using the radiator as the traverse and once with actual tube. I'm waiting to see completed builds ... I'm sacrificing 140mm of rad to ensure the use of a D5 and I'm waiting to see if the extra complexity of this loop order is worth the effort.

If you do this with a *bottom* 140mm radiator (for easily fitting a D5) flip the bottom rad around so the ports are toward the *middle* of the case. It will make this routing much easier.

Reactions: doot4runner

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Yes, that loop order would work: For extra clarity for anyone else reading, here's a more detailed callout of how this loop order would work. I did mis-speak - this loop order requires 2 travels across the spine IF you have radiators with ports on one side only.

Bottom Rad Outlet on CPU side >> CPU in. / CPU out >> Across Spine >> GPU in >> GPU out >> Top RAD inlet GPU side. >> Top Rad outlet CPU side >> Across Spine >> Down to Pump >> Bottom Rad Inlet GPU side >> Bottom Rad Outlet CPU side (back to beginning).

If you do this with a *bottom* 140mm radiator (for easily fitting a D5) flip the bottom rad around so the ports are toward the *middle* of the case. It will make this routing much easier.
Personally, I will not follow the recommended loop order with the solid panels. I don't think I will lose much in performance, but it will be easier to install. Of course, this is until the perforated panels are available in spare parts. :) :) :)

Reactions: mxj1

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Personally, I will not follow the recommended loop order with the solid panels. I don't think I will lose much in performance, but it will be easier to install. Of course, this is until the perforated panels are available in spare parts. :) :) :)
I think I am beginning to come to the same conclusion. The loop is greatly simplified with a different order

Reactions: Koxx5D

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I think I am beginning to come to the same conclusion. The loop is greatly simplified with a different order

Understandable. From a performance standpoint this would be the ideal loop. However, it's *much* easier with 240mm x-flow radiators.

Alternatively, you should go in the following sequence: Top Rad >> Cpu >> Bottom Rad >> GPU >> Pump >> Top Rad because that still puts the higher heat component before the top radiator. (the same as perf panel recommendation) as it's the second best config for the Bottom >> Top flow.

Perhaps I'll update the manual to clarify suggestions. :)

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020

That was the plan ... as long as spacing between the d5 top - gpu block - and rad work out. Also makes bottom rad out to cpu block in much easier.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

I know this is a silly question to ask the guy who designed this case, but do you have any concrete data of real-world application with loops in different configurations to be able to confidently say that one configuration performs better than others?

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
I've (temporarily) admitted defeat for the watercooling portion of this build. After getting the wrong thread screws for replacing the radiator and finding out that my 90 degree compression fittings don't allow the radiator to sit at the top of the case due to interference from the GPU, I've switch to air cooling since I had a Noctua L12s on hand for the second Winter One case I'm getting for the living room. This install was much easier, although cable management leaves a lot to be desired with the inflexible ribbon cables, and I think ultimately custom cables are going to be a necessity for this case, but I was expecting that.

Ultimately for an "I need this PC working now" build, I'm happy with it, and the side panels hide my terrible cable management very well.

Also for anyone else with a Silverstone PSU, just an FYI that it's an extremely forced fit if you want to have the PSU fan facing outwards. Probably worth getting a new power extension on order.

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
I've (temporarily) admitted defeat for the watercooling portion of this build. After getting the wrong thread screws for replacing the radiator and finding out that my 90 degree compression fittings don't allow the radiator to sit at the top of the case due to interference from the GPU, I've switch to air cooling since I had a Noctua L12s on hand for the second Winter One case I'm getting for the living room. This install was much easier, although cable management leaves a lot to be desired with the inflexible ribbon cables, and I think ultimately custom cables are going to be a necessity for this case, but I was expecting that.

Ultimately for an "I need this PC working now" build, I'm happy with it, and the side panels hide my terrible cable management very well.

Also for anyone else with a Silverstone PSU, just an FYI that it's an extremely forced fit if you want to have the PSU fan facing outwards. Probably worth getting a new power extension on order.

Maybe you can try this ? Sorry about the french link :)

Reactions: mxj1

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Just a point of data for anyone else who is watercooling with 280s. I was having a very hard time fitting 2 HWL GTS 280mms in there. The ends of the radiators were touching/pushing against the side panels (probably had something to do with the tolerances I have seen WinterCharm talk about). I was also not able to get the radiator mounting rails completely on the radiators due to the screw holes on one end of the radiator being slightly outside where the holes in the mounting rails ended. I had a Corsair 280mm rad from a previous build and was able to get that to fit with a few mms to spare. Not sure if this was just due to weird tolerances on the HWL rads, but just another data point of a 280mm rad that fits in the case.

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
Just a point of data for anyone else who is watercooling with 280s. I was having a very hard time fitting 2 HWL GTS 280mms in there. The ends of the radiators were touching/pushing against the side panels (probably had something to do with the tolerances I have seen WinterCharm talk about). I was also not able to get the radiator mounting rails completely on the radiators due to the screw holes on one end of the radiator being slightly outside where the holes in the mounting rails ended. I had a Corsair 280mm rad from a previous build and was able to get that to fit with a few mms to spare. Not sure if this was just due to weird tolerances on the HWL rads, but just another data point of a 280mm rad that fits in the case.
Turns out that HWLabs’ radiator tolerances are huuuge: close to +/-2mm in any direction. Their QC in that regard is kinda crap.

Reactions: DrHudacris

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Turns out that HWLabs’ radiator tolerances are huuuge: close to +/-2mm in any direction. Their QC in that regard is kinda crap.
Bummer. One of my GTS 280s fit with minimal tweaking, the other just was a bit to tight for my liking. I was able to squeeze it in there, but I didn't like the fit. I will probably just run with the 1 Corsair and 1 GTS 280

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
Bummer. One of my GTS 280s fit with minimal tweaking, the other just was a bit to tight for my liking. I was able to squeeze it in there, but I didn't like the fit. I will probably just run with the 1 Corsair and 1 GTS 280
Unfortunately, it is impossible to find HWL 240 Xflow

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020