Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
If anyone is curious, I might go write a detailed post on this. (brings back a lot of memories from my fluids and thermo classes back in my engineering days).
Yes, please, it's really a subject that I don't know enough about. :)

Last edited:

Qzrx

Buried under radiators
Dec 29, 2019
I just looked at the EKWB site and the backplates are about 5 mm thick. (reference models). The one I'm going to have is here with the WB.
If I had to guess I’d say there’s an error in the specs—I’ve run an EK 2080ti block + backplate without issues as well as a 3090 block + backplate from Watercool without issues.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
If I had to guess I’d say there’s an error in the specs—I’ve run an EK 2080ti block + backplate without issues as well as a 3090 block + backplate from Watercool without issues.
I think so too, but we have to be sure of that. 🧐 How thick are yours?

Last edited:

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
I just looked at the EKWB site and the backplates are about 5 mm thick. (reference models). The one I'm going to have is here with the WB.
3mm is from before the update to the central spine, to prevent a tall backplate from interfering with the riser cable. Now there's a shallow channel on one side of the spine, giving you another 2mm of clearance by allowing the riser cable to move out of the way. Ofc, at this point your backplate will be touching the spine, but it should be okay.

All those clearances listed on the website have 0.5-1mm of padding to ensure compatibility with tolerances expected of those parts. That's done on purpose, and is the main reason everything fits well. The issue with reporting everything down to the last 0.01 mm is with all tolerances added up in a 3D space, I may be 0.5mm short, and your part may be 0.5mm larger than its tolerances... and now a part you planned is 1mm too big.

That's why there's a teeny tiny safety factor around various dimensions.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Have you considered the use of a HDPLEX PSU System in place of a conventional SFX PSU?

The 400W version may well fit and allow plenty of space for a pump/tube res in the yellow area...

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
3mm is from before the update to the central spine, to prevent a tall backplate from interfering with the riser cable. Now there's a shallow channel on one side of the spine, giving you another 2mm of clearance by allowing the riser cable to move out of the way. Ofc, at this point your backplate will be touching the spine, but it should be okay.

All those clearances listed on the website have 0.5-1mm of padding to ensure compatibility with tolerances expected of those parts. That's done on purpose, and is the main reason everything fits well. The issue with reporting everything down to the last 0.01 mm is with all tolerances added up in a 3D space, I may be 0.5mm short, and your part may be 0.5mm larger than its tolerances... and now a part you planned is 1mm too big.

Thanks, I'm not too worried, I can easily rectify the thickness, in fact this one is +/- 6 mm, I will reduce it by 1 or 2 mm.

RyuGTX

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 2, 2021

Thank you for confirming that there is a total of 5mm of clearance for the backplate.

Too bad the XL backplate for the Optimus Absolute GPU block sticks out 7.6mm with a thermal pad. Crossing my fingers that there is enough interest for a slim backplate and they make one soon.

• Sad
Reactions: Koxx5D