What did you do today?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Second day in a new job finished. So far, it is a step up from self-employment with all the hardware and software that I am now exposed to. Still having issues with transitioning to mornings though. I do like that my employer is very SFF friendly as we use DELL Optiplex 7040 Micros as work machines. (I linked to the configuration I think they are.)

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Went hiking with some friends now that I'm back in the US and on leave. Hiked some of Mt. Charleston, but had to go back twice due to snowed trails. Started at about 6k feet, gained 1906ft elevation, went 7.14 miles. Not today, but recent :D

Click for gallery, some are 10MB panoramas

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Yeah, it was a pretty cool trip and not that far outside of Vegas. Had to climb out on a spur across some snow for some of the cool shots, but it wasn't too bad. Both of my hiking companions said they should have brought microspikes, though. Wish I was somewhere that wasn't the desert usually!

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'd like to visit or move out to the western US and get acquainted to hiking. Perhaps somewhere in the Boulder/Denver CO area. Been to my family's home country in Central America and it looks very nice there. I liked the mostly dry and not too hot climate. Was disappointed to come to pretty sticky and humid night when I arrived back home XD

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
I wouldn't mind hiking outside Tucson myself, hot deserts is one of the few areas I have yet to hike in!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I got the readings from a temperature sensor to display on the screen I posted earlier :) gonna work on the project more when I have time.

Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Today I spent 3 hours to travel 28km by car .......... to just be left motorless once I was finaly able to drive full speed. Made space to allow the urgency to pass ........ my car engine then refused to go past 20 km/h :\

The car is 3 weeks old XD .... "Engine failure, repare your car" ... that's what was on the car display.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Took a day off from work because I have to prepare my move and wanted to migrate the Iris Visualizer from Javascript to Typescript. JS gets quite annoying to work with if the project starts to get bigger. I'm only at a little over 1500 lines but it's already quite unwieldy.

So I dived in head-first and spent about 10 hours on the damn thing and in the process tried out multiple module-loaders and swapped out the colour library I had been using, which caused an hour of headache-inducing bugs that still aren't all fixed. And in the end I realised it would've taken me 3 hours max had I just ported the initial library to Typescript as well, so going back on half of what I did and instead taking that route will be the next step. Fucking shit.

Oh and I didn't do much move preparation, so that's all been postponed to tomorrow.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I received a new riser for my home PC monitor. It will take some getting used to, but my posture will be improved for it, I'm sure. And I now have storage space under my monitor for game controllers and other fiddly bits of tech that I can't have cluttering up my wife's workspace.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I spent 3 hours to travel 28km by car .......... to just be left motorless once I was finaly able to drive full speed. Made space to allow the urgency to pass ........ my car engine then refused to go past 20 km/h :\

The car is 3 weeks old XD .... "Engine failure, repare your car" ... that's what was on the car display.
Eurgh car troubles are such a bummer. A few people in my family worked in car dealer repair centers, the stuff you hear ranging from cars costing € 5.000 to € 100.000, it boggles the mind. I can't wait until I can (reasonably) buy an all-electric car and ditch the internal EXPLOSIONS engine.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
internal EXPLOSIONS engine.
You don't enjoy explosions? o_O what about that your car is basically eating dinosaurs? :) Jk, an all electric future would be awesome. But as someone who spends way too much time in a parking lot, I don't like the cars that can sneak up behind me.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Eurgh car troubles are such a bummer. A few people in my family worked in car dealer repair centers, the stuff you hear ranging from cars costing € 5.000 to € 100.000, it boggles the mind. I can't wait until I can (reasonably) buy an all-electric car and ditch the internal EXPLOSIONS engine.

Same, I'd love an electric car. Good point, the car is under warranty.

Sad point, the missus left with her keys .... and mine. I have to go to her job (2x 45mn by train) to get them and be able to open my apartment door XD. DOUBLE HIT COMBO

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015

Same, I'd love an electric car. Good point, the car is under warranty.

Within a decade, you may not even need to own a car.

Sad point, the missus left with her keys .... and mine. I have to go to her job (2x 45mn by train) to get them and be able to open my apartment door XD. DOUBLE HIT COMBO

Might be worth looking into smart locks

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've been thinking about that for a while too: when cars are going to be electric and self-driving, they no longer need to be parked (for everyone) in front of the place you are but can transport other people or dock to recharge.
With a good infrastructure that allows to share vehicles to give yourself flexibility (you can request a vehicle at any time) and regain some costs, you'd want to switch to a non-ownership anyway, which a subscription service would solve. It would solve some parking problems, with self-driving it could solve some congestion problems too.

I'm pretty sure we'll see this change coming full circle in our lifetime.