What did you do today?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Expensive practice board :/ At least you blew a 12v power component and not a 120v/240v one!

I really should get back into PCBs, soldering and Arduinos.. it's been a while.
Yeah, not the cheapest, but at least I didn't get the most expensive controller board out there. And yes, I'm very happy it's all low voltage DC 😅 I doubt I'll ever be skilled/dumb enough to poke around inside mains powered electronics with a multimeter. At least when plugged in!

For now, I'm just having fun finally getting somewhat comfortable with soldering. A huge part of that is getting a good iron - I bought a Pinecil a while back, and it's absolutely fantastic. All I've had previously has been an ultra cheap no-name mains powered non-temperature controlled iron, and this is really another world. Heck, I couldn't really even get the tip of my old iron to tin properly :p The funny thing is that the Pinecil costs less than that iron did.

Reactions: lozza_c

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
First print off the new Prusa got done while at work. Anyone remember Space: Above and Beyond? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
My first reaction was that this must be a bat-something.

... and is related to this activity

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
Rescued these from the bin at work

I've been meaning to build a NAS / home server for a while now so quite serendipitous!

There may be some parts (and possibly a whole unit) going spare if anyone's interested. I'll start a new thread in the Trade section when I find out what I have here.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Well rescued!
I know you've not opened them up, but what are they? HP / Dell??

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Very nice ! I'm all for repurposing old but still potent hardware.
Agreed, there's so much useful stuff that just gets binned. IMO, there ought to be mandatory collection of these things so that either businesses/charities could get them to refurbish and make use of/give away/sell, and/or people should just be able to collect them. The potential for reducing e-waste from "obsolete" PCs is astounding.

Reactions: Arboreal

lozza_c

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2020
I've got 2 x HP Pro 3505, 2 x HP Compaq Pro 4300 SFF and 1 x Dell Optiplex 3020

I'm thinking I may keep the Dell as either a 'new' computer for my missus or as a sandbox to experiment with, and one of the 4300s as a long-awaited home server. Possibly one other if I can find a use case for it.

If I recall correctly the Dell has a 4th gen i3, the 3505s A6-3600s and the 4300s i3 3220s

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I'm still impressed how good Haswell 4th gen stiff is, and more so with 2nd/3rd gen i5s even today
Yeah, I just upgraded my secondary travel/random stuff PC from an i5-2400 to an i5-4670S, and that thing is pretty snappy still (and runs really cool after I delidded it and added some liquid metal 😅 ). Really brought me a greater appreciation for what can be done with dirt-cheap or free hardware these days. Finding an ITX board for that chip was neither free nor cheap, but the CPU was free, and if I ever want an i7 upgrade that won't be expensive either.

Reactions: ignsvn and Arboreal

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Although I've been mostly AFK around here, I'm always working on something. Just finished assembling my new Peopoly Forge resin 3D printer and curing box. I'm hoping to pump out a few test prints in the next week or so. I'm pretty excited about the new possibilities!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Although I've been mostly AFK around here, I'm always working on something. Just finished assembling my new Peopoly Forge resin 3D printer and curing box. I'm hoping to pump out a few test prints in the next week or so. I'm pretty excited about the new possibilities!

the legendary OP :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

So... Project Hutch?

XD, Just kidding. One thing I'm considering is working with carbon fibre, with 3D printed elements - inspired by your builds!

Reactions: craigbru

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Just received a reminder on my phone to tell me to renew my subscription on SFFN, logged in and the page said "Your subscription expires in 24 minutes!"
What timing 😎

Reactions: Valantar and BaK

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018

Is it just me, or is that thing absolutely massive? Looks like it could print whole 10-15l cases in one go.

Reactions: craigbru

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
the legendary OP :)

Haha, I still poke around here a bit!

So... Project Hutch?

XD, Just kidding. One thing I'm considering is working with carbon fibre, with 3D printed elements - inspired by your builds!

Ooof, lol.

Oh nice! I'd love to see you come up with a marriage of the two. I'm still working and rehashing ideas myself. I've got a lot of different ways to create now, and I'm trying not to box myself into a corner. With my limited time, it seems that new computer components are obsoleting what I'm trying to accomplish. Mostly with power and cooling requirements. I really do want to make something that doesn't hardware lock me, so I am off to another modified design...

Is it just me, or is that thing absolutely massive? Looks like it could print whole 10-15l cases in one go.

Yeah, a little over 16l. The printer is pretty good sized, although there are larger. Unfortunately, the larger you go, the more likely you are to have print issues. Large format resin can be finicky. I did get what I thought was the largest reasonable option. Build volume of 288 x 163 x 350mm with a 6K monochrome screen, print quality and resolution should be pretty stellar.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, a little over 16l. The printer is pretty good sized, although there are larger. Unfortunately, the larger you go, the more likely you are to have print issues. Large format resin can be finicky. I did get what I thought was the largest reasonable option. Build volume of 288 x 163 x 350mm with a 6K monochrome screen, print quality and resolution should be pretty stellar.
So, when should we be expecting the unibody 3D-printed full performance sandwich cases to start showing up? :D

All joking aside, while I completely understand how large prints in resin could cause problems, the possibilities with that print volume sound pretty amazing. Hope we get to see some fun projects going forward!

Reactions: BaK