What did you do today?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've seen it happen a couple of times, it's good that it wasn't too bad ! It makes me doubt getting one for my home.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I've seen it happen a couple of times, it's good that it wasn't too bad ! It makes me doubt getting one for my home.
Oh, I wouldn't live without one - I'm too fond of cooking to do all those dishes by hand! But this is definitely one of the major downsides of having one, that's for sure.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
RMA day today, 3090 TUF OC and the EKWB waterblock and backplate all have to go back since i realised they will not fit my Ncase :\.
Should have done my homework better. Anyway, now more waiting for parts

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I've been learning about how to make emulators, and with the help of Javidx9's videos I will set out to make a NES/Famicom emulator in C.

Creating a simple disassembler and executing opcodes for the 6502 processor looks very straightforward, but things will get more complicated when I have to figure out how to make the CPU talk to the multiple devices on the bus and have them all work together as unit. Just cobbling up the pieces together that make a NES what it is.

Reactions: rokabeka

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Continuing the project of moving rooms in the apartment I live in (which started last weekend). I am also planning/starting the use of some the decommissioned wireless routers, laptops, and monitors that I scored this week from work. I have also continued playing Cyberpunk 2077 (interesting bugs).

Reactions: Phuncz

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
started to build an atx workstation with asus x99ws and a 14-core haswell. originally I planned to have strong NICs in it and running linux.

but as the pc games began to make use of many cores I could not resist slipping a vega56 nano into the motherboard and add dual boot (win+lin) :)
anyway, gaming on xeon CPUs could be a whole thread but pretty atypical in sff.

Reactions: Soul_Est

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Today I ordered the last parts for my new workstation :
  • A second Noctua NF-A8 PWM Chromax black
  • A Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM HS Chromax black to replace the Cryorig C7G stock fan
  • An HDPLEX 400W HIFI DC-ATX unit
  • An HDPLEX 400W AC-DC unit

Reactions: craigbru

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Made a new IO for my custom build.

Free internet points if you guess all the cut outs correctly ....

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Made a new IO for my custom build.

Free internet points if you guess all the cut outs correctly ....

From Left to Right: DC-in, HDMI or DP, HDMI or DP, 2x USB, RJ45, 2x USB, 3.5mm jack and 3.5mm jack.

Thin mini-ITX motherboard ? I'm hesitating between HDMI and Display ports. The larger cutouts makes me lean toward DP though, but hard to tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
From Left to Right: DC-in, HDMI or DP, HDMI or DP, 2x USB, RJ45, 2x USB, 3.5mm jack and 3.5mm jack.

Thin mini-ITX motherboard ? I'm hesitating between HDMI and Display ports. The larger cutouts makes me lean toward DP though, but hard to tell.
You win the internet points today. HDMI :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Traveled to Norway yesterday, going in for a scheduled checkup at the hospital on the 16th. Currently on day 1 of the mandatory 10-day quarantine (hopefully I'll get the required 2 negative Covid tests to cut that down to 7 days). Found a good secondary use for my Elgato HD60s: using my laptop as a portable monitor for my travel desktop. The laptop can just barely handle the processing, but once I disabled flashback recording it's pretty much lag-free. I'll definitely get some use out of this in the coming days!

D

Deleted member 23607

Traveled to Norway yesterday, going in for a scheduled checkup at the hospital on the 16th. Currently on day 1 of the mandatory 10-day quarantine (hopefully I'll get the required 2 negative Covid tests to cut that down to 7 days). Found a good secondary use for my Elgato HD60s: using my laptop as a portable monitor for my travel desktop. The laptop can just barely handle the processing, but once I disabled flashback recording it's pretty much lag-free. I'll definitely get some use out of this in the coming days!
Inspiron 2-in-1?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Inspiron 2-in-1?
It's a Latitude 7390 2-in-1 :)

Not technically mkne, it's a work-issue laptop, and it's... fine. Kind of loud, especially when charging, and the case gets very hot under load, but it's great for grading papers and that kind of work, and battery life is excellent. And the CPU is capped at 12W rather than 15 for some reason (if I were to guess: that loud, tiny fan), but it does sustain higher than 15W base clock spec clock speeds at that power level, so I guess it has some good silicon on board. I'm looking forward to when I can justify buying a new laptop for myself though - this has given me a lot of perspective on what I want and don't want :)

D

Deleted member 23607

It's a Latitude 7390 2-in-1 :)

Not technically mkne, it's a work-issue laptop, and it's... fine. Kind of loud, especially when charging, and the case gets very hot under load, but it's great for grading papers and that kind of work, and battery life is excellent. And the CPU is capped at 12W rather than 15 for some reason (if I were to guess: that loud, tiny fan), but it does sustain higher than 15W base clock spec clock speeds at that power level, so I guess it has some good silicon on board. I'm looking forward to when I can justify buying a new laptop for myself though - this has given me a lot of perspective on what I want and don't want :)
Ah cool.
I wonder if it's possible to replace the fan?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Ah cool.
I wonder if it's possible to replace the fan?
I doubt it - the chassis is very tightly packed. The main issue is the simple fact that there isn't enough room for a normal thin-and-light notebook sized fan - the one in there is tiny, and it still fills up all available volume. I'm pretty sure the people designing laptops like this one have been ecstatic over the smaller package sizes and smaller motherboards enabled by newer generations of CPUs, as shrinking down the board would have gone a long way towards improving performance by fitting a bigger fan and heatsink.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I set out to replace my GPU's fans, but ending up down an increasingly longer rabbit hole.

When I bought my GTX 1080 second hand, the owner told me he had applied liquid metal between the heatsink and the die and that I never had to reapply it again.

But after about 4 years, one of the fans started to make a rattling noise. After weighing my options (Raijintek Orpheus being my prefered) I went with ordering replacement fans on eBay. Yesterday they arrived and I set out to replace them. After getting rid of the warehouse amount of dust, I realised I had to remove the heatsink, as the card has two connectors just below a heatpipe that are impossible to remove with it in the way.

So I removed the 6 screws that held it in place and this is what I discovered:

The crud on the die and heatspreader was solid and it looks way more textured than it was. Basically, what once was probably liquid metal now appears to have etched itself on the heatspreader. There's no going back, I have to clean it up.

After a thorough cleaning of the die with rubbing alcohol, a soft pad and some Q-tips, I managed to get something that resembled a GPU die:

Still not that clean but atleast it felt smooth. Now lets try the same technique on the heatspreader:

That didn't do much. After some wet sanding with grit 1500:

That'll do. Extreme overclockers often mention that you don't want a mirror finish, but a flat surface. It felt flat enough. Back to the core with some more rubbing alcohol and Q-tips:

That's the best I could get it. Time to apply some Kryonaut and ... Oh those thermal pads look dirty and dry. So half an hour later I also replaced those.

The card is performing much better :)

Last edited: