What did you do today?

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
While it's not a new thing for a lot of you guys, this happens to be my first ITX sized GPU. I've always managed to fit a full size card in anything I built because the smaller cards were usually lacking in performance. That's no longer the case of course, and this little guy is amazing. A huge jump in performance, and more power savings than my previous 290X.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Trying to go through the process of upgrading the operating system of my 4,1 MacBook from early 2008. It's one of the old white ones. I've made it to Lion which is not officially supported, and it's more buggy. From other experiences this is normal and Mountain Lion should be better.

I am trying to upgrade to at least Mavericks, in order to greatly increase application support. I need to use Slack for a few places, and they dropped support for the Big Cat OSX's which I think it's a pretty dumb reason, support for native pop-in notifications. Slack should just leave that optional for older OSes that cannot support it.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Trying to go through the process of upgrading the operating system of my 4,1 MacBook from early 2008. It's one of the old white ones. I've made it to Lion which is not officially supported, and it's more buggy. From other experiences this is normal and Mountain Lion should be better.

I am trying to upgrade to at least Mavericks, in order to greatly increase application support. I need to use Slack for a few places, and they dropped support for the Big Cat OSX's which I think it's a pretty dumb reason, support for native pop-in notifications. Slack should just leave that optional for older OSes that cannot support it.
Tried doing so on my 2,1 MacBook from 2006. Gave up due to the graphical glitches (screen flickering) and created "What The Mac?!".

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I adjusted the exit pressure of my espresso machine, a Gaggia Classic. Espresso is very dependant on pressure and temperature, outside of the coffee, the grind, the tamp, etc.

The model I have is known to have the pressure set too high, above the required 9 bar. After purchasing a pressure meter I attached to the portafilter, I found my machine sits at roughly 11,5 bar. Luckily the model I have has an adjustable three-way over pressure valve, so with a screw driver, a socket wrench and a hex bit I was able to adjust it. After the first adjustment, I was already clocking in at 9,5 bar, which to me is good enough to proceed. The consensus on this specific model is that you should aim for roughly 10 bar to reach the "industry standard".

Result: a smoother espresso that has more extracted flavour from the fresh, quality roasted coffee beans I bought yesterday.

A stock photo of the device:

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
a Gaggia Classic

Oh sweet, this is the same machine my parents have. They actually own the original model as well, which was still painted white and had a blue and red logo. It's sitting somewhere in the basement and is only used when the newer one breaks or we have special occasions that require lots of coffee to be made.

Apparently its one of the best machines in that form factor, or so I've heard at least.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It was, although the new model (since 2015 with push buttons instead of flip buttons) is ruined because of the EU power save regulation (*), drop in parts quality, etc etc. It's very simple tech inside, but it's built reasonably well for its price. At the moment I'd probably go for a Quickmill or a Lelit, but as long as it performs well, I have no (good) reason to upgrade. I'd like a Rocket, but at a starting price of € 1.200, I'm not going to anytime soon.

(*) automatically turns off after 7 minutes, while it needs needs longer to be at the proper brewing temperature.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It was, although the new model (since 2015 with push buttons instead of flip buttons) is ruined because of the EU power save regulation (*), drop in parts quality, etc etc. It's very simple tech inside, but it's built reasonably well for its price.

Luckily we got the one with flip buttons :)

Follow-up question from my mom: Are there any indications of pressure being too high that are visible during/after brewing? It might be that the maintenance shop for our machine already did a pressure adjustment like you, but she's not sure.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
No, not really that I could discern. I knew that these come out from the factory set too high, the coffee also tasted not as good as my micro-roaster is able to (albeit with ridiculously expensive gear).

Reactions: iFreilicht

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Tried doing so on my 2,1 MacBook from 2006. Gave up due to the graphical glitches (screen flickering) and created "What The Mac?!".

Mine is a 4,1 so it at least took me as far as Mountain Lion. But I need a laptop now capable of running WIndows 10 and that could do some light gaming for development work. I was ready to buy a Acer Aspire with a GTX 950M and post on the New Toys thread but we gotta fix some problems with the debit card first, gotta wait till tomorrow :-/

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, uh, after altcoin mining for a single week and seeing some nice returns already, I've decided to get a little more invested. I'm fully aware nothing is guaranteed, but what the hell. In the past 2 days, I've ordered 3 GTX 1060's and a GTX 1070. I'm putting my old 290X to work full time, and my new GTX 1080 is already mining in my main rig when I'm not using it. After electrical costs, I could pull in around $800 per month on all cards. Not a bad return at all.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I finalized what I'm going to buy for my next custom keyboard(s).
I'm getting 67G and 98G Lubed Pandastotles...

43 Invyr Pandas
43 Aristotles
43 67G "Gold" Springs

43 Invyr Pandas
43 Aristotles
43 98G "Gold" Springs

1 Lube Tube

I'm also going to keep 44 Invyr Pandas Stock.

These are for three of the 40-Key RGB boards I'm working on.

This hobby is getting way to expensive...

Reactions: Soul_Est

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Huh interesting, I only saw Aristotle mods being done with Zealios before. Have you seen anyone do it and wanted to try it out, or did you get the idea yourself? What are you hoping the outcome to be in terms of feel?
Wait, you've never seen a Gatistotle or Cherristotle?

I bought a switch tester from NovelKeys.xyz. I put a Gatistotle and a stock Panda on it of many switches. I was in chat on skiwithpete's stream, someone said that they were amazing, so I tried it. The click is so much more crisp than any other -stotles, don't even get me started on Zealios. Put a Zealios stem in a Panda, and the bump feels like heaven, there is no downstroke, upstroke, it's all bump!

Edit: I just tried a Clear stem in there and a 150G spring, it doesn't dampen the tactility even with such a heavy spring, the housing is just so tight...

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
So, uh, after altcoin mining for a single week and seeing some nice returns already, I've decided to get a little more invested. I'm fully aware nothing is guaranteed, but what the hell. In the past 2 days, I've ordered 3 GTX 1060's and a GTX 1070. I'm putting my old 290X to work full time, and my new GTX 1080 is already mining in my main rig when I'm not using it. After electrical costs, I could pull in around $800 per month on all cards. Not a bad return at all.
After you get everything, what will you have in your rig? Also, which Alt Coin are you mining? Also, any tips on starting to mine?

Reactions: Biowarejak

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
After you get everything, what will you have in your rig? Also, which Alt Coin are you mining? Also, any tips on starting to mine?

After getting up and running, I'l have 3 GTX 1060's, a GTX 1070, and the 290X all in the same rig. I've got an old Asus P8P67 Pro w/ an i5 3570k and 8GB memory. I've got a pretty efficient 750w Seasonic PSU that should just be enough if the cards are tuned for efficiency.

Now, as far as which coin, that's where things get tricky. Lots of options out there, and some are gaining in value faster than others. Ethereum is king at the moment, but I'm not sure I'll mine it directly. I'm running NiceHash on my main rig due to it's simplicity, and honestly, that's probably what I'll run on the mining rig until I get things a little more sorted. Different vendor cards and dedicated miners can sometimes have issues. Ideally, I'd have an all Nvidia, and an all AMD machine in the near future. You're less likely to run into issues that way.

Regarding mining, if you want to start 15 minutes from now, get a Coinbase account and install NiceHash. I've bookmarked so many sites in the past couple of weeks, I can hardly keep track of them... Now, there are pros and cons to something like NiceHash. It calculates and mines different coins based on profitability for your particular hardware. It also converts and pays out those coins to you in Bitcoin. You may be mining Ethereum for example, buy you're only ever paid in btc. This can be good since btc is really well known and the price is mostly stable. The downside is that you don't hold on to the coins you mine, and they could take off in value. Every transaction to or from a coin costs something, so you want to keep those transactions to a minimum.

https://steemit.com/nicehash/@ombc/...l-guide-profitable-easy-step-by-step-tutorial

Reactions: Biowarejak

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
After getting up and running, I'l have 3 GTX 1060's, a GTX 1070, and the 290X all in the same rig. I've got an old Asus P8P67 Pro w/ an i5 3570k and 8GB memory. I've got a pretty efficient 750w Seasonic PSU that should just be enough if the cards are tuned for efficiency.

Now, as far as which coin, that's where things get tricky. Lots of options out there, and some are gaining in value faster than others. Ethereum is king at the moment, but I'm not sure I'll mine it directly. I'm running NiceHash on my main rig due to it's simplicity, and honestly, that's probably what I'll run on the mining rig until I get things a little more sorted. Different vendor cards and dedicated miners can sometimes have issues. Ideally, I'd have an all Nvidia, and an all AMD machine in the near future. You're less likely to run into issues that way.

Regarding mining, if you want to start 15 minutes from now, get a Coinbase account and install NiceHash. I've bookmarked so many sites in the past couple of weeks, I can hardly keep track of them... Now, there are pros and cons to something like NiceHash. It calculates and mines different coins based on profitability for your particular hardware. It also converts and pays out those coins to you in Bitcoin. You may be mining Ethereum for example, buy you're only ever paid in btc. This can be good since btc is really well known and the price is mostly stable. The downside is that you don't hold on to the coins you mine, and they could take off in value. Every transaction to or from a coin costs something, so you want to keep those transactions to a minimum.

https://steemit.com/nicehash/@ombc/...l-guide-profitable-easy-step-by-step-tutorial
Would you recommend mining with a PC or mining BitCoin with an ASIC miner such as the Antminer S9?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Would you recommend mining with a PC or mining BitCoin with an ASIC miner such as the Antminer S9?
I tend to feel that PC mining is generally more expandable than ASIC, but I've not put a toe in either water. Also an ASIC-esque unit really locks into only being able to hash one way.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015

I tend to feel that PC mining is generally more expandable than ASIC, but I've not put a toe in either water. Also an ASIC-esque unit really locks into only being able to hash one way.

ASIC is pretty much dead. There was a time that Bitcoin was profitable with ASIC, but unless you have free electricity it's not worth it. A lot of the new generation of altcoins are ASIC resistant and can only be mined on a GPU. The faster returns are definitely on PC's at this point.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
ASIC is pretty much dead. There was a time that Bitcoin was profitable with ASIC, but unless you have free electricity it's not worth it. A lot of the new generation of altcoins are ASIC resistant and can only be mined on a GPU. The faster returns are definitely on PC's at this point.
Good to know! :)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I'm not too old, so I live with my parents, so I don't have to pay for electricity... but they would have to pay a ton. Also, is there a certain amount of RAM I need, and I think I'm just going to build a mining rig once Coffee Lake and Volta come out.