What did you do today?

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I have just finished my last exam in Real Analysis and am eating lunch right now. I'm not so optimistic about my exams these past few days, and the longer I am in school the more I feel picking a major in Computer Science was a poor decision I made without thinking.

I absolutely love maths and computers, but the deeper I go into these courses I grow more tired and more frustrated at my own attempts to learn. The difficulty just ramps up harder and harder, I never get a good foothold on the material, and I'm just lost in claiming I love the subject but dreading every time that claim is put to the test.

What's more frustrating is knowing that, should I do poorly, I've burned the money and time of all those supporting me. This is not a feeling I want to carry home for the holidays, and I'm almost wanting to stay here than go home.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well, I'll never unsee this now..

Will be packing up the family and heading to the in-laws through Christmas. Everybody have a safe and joyful holiday.
Take care @jtd871 . You and yours have safe and stay safe during the holidays.

I have just finished my last exam in Real Analysis and am eating lunch right now. I'm not so optimistic about my exams these past few days, and the longer I am in school the more I feel picking a major in Computer Science was a poor decision I made without thinking.

I absolutely love maths and computers, but the deeper I go into these courses I grow more tired and more frustrated at my own attempts to learn. The difficulty just ramps up harder and harder, I never get a good foothold on the material, and I'm just lost in claiming I love the subject but dreading every time that claim is put to the test.

What's more frustrating is knowing that, should I do poorly, I've burned the money and time of all those supporting me. This is not a feeling I want to carry home for the holidays, and I'm almost wanting to stay here than go home.
I hear you and empathize with you. Those are tough feelings to deal with. I have dealt with them myself in Computer Engineering.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Successfully migrated a customer's website to a new server since his old web person can't maintain the site anymore. Doing that and simultaneously updating from a 4 year old version of WordPress was "fun".

But it's all good now and after some optimization the homepage loads in 0.6s vs 3.7s before :D

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Clocked up my final day of work before Christmas.. on Christmas Eve. 52 hours this week :|

Reactions: Phuncz

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
With 102,000 miles on the Grand Cherokee and the added stress of the lift, I had a CV joint go out on the front driveshaft. Luckily they offer a rebuild kit. For $100 and an hour of my time, it was a fairly straightforward job. I dropped the shaft at the transfer case, and replaced it in place. The only real downside was the cold temperature here. My garage has been taken over as my shop, so I had to do it outside and my fingers were getting a little numb.

Old vs. new.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Battled with a super stiff USB 3.0 header cable... I absolutely detest these thick unruly cables with a passion. They make no sense in most cases under 15 liters... thinking I'll just snip 'em off (I already cut the front audio i/o cables) and use my powered USB 3.0 hub instead.

Position A

Position B

Waiting on a few more parts to arrive before completing this build by week end... I will share the complete build then with my thoughts on the Engine 27.

Completed my SFF build today... I gleefully took out that wretched USB 3.0 header cable I was battling with before!!!
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/uv-siamese.1250/

Reactions: Ceros_X

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I updated my NAS4Free from 9.2 to 11.0 because it was over 2 years old. Generally it went well, except I ran into an issue with adding an SMB share on Linux: it kept throwing "operation not supported" errors at me while mounting, which after a little digging meant they were protocol negotiation errors. After spending a few hours trying to look for a way to force the client to properly auto-negotiate from SMB2 and up (NAS4Free recommends to leave the server's settings at default for min/max protocol versions), I just caved and fixed them to SMB2 and SMB3 min/max.

But all seems to be in order. Thankfully.

Reactions: Soul_Est

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I found myself in a very similar place at the end of my first year in college. I was studying Computer Science and taking a lot of mathematics and physics courses, as well as programming. I loved mathematics in high school, and was very good at it - I was one question shy of a perfect SAT score - and I had done a fair amount of web development and scripting as well, in my free time. I figured that I'd do well with more of the same, and that I'd enjoy being a software developer once I graduated.

It took me that whole first year to realize that I'd fall out of love with all of these things were I expected to do them for 40+ hours a week, every week, as my career. I was already falling out of love with them as a student! Some things weren't challenging at all, some things were far too challenging given how dry I thought they were, and almost everything I did was so hypothetical and rudimentary and disconnected from anything else. It felt meaningless, I felt as if what I was learning and what I could do at that point didn't really matter all that much. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

So I sat down and thought about why I enjoyed what I did, when I did, and I realized that while I did find fun in development and mathematics as a hobby, it wasn't my passion. Indeed, what made me excited about all those programming projects I did as a hobby wasn't the programming itself, but rather the operational outcome of the things I created.

---

As an example - during my sophomore year, my school collaborated with a security camera company called AXIS Communications, whereby the company provided free hardware and guidance in order to entice students to create apps for their fledgling "smart camera" app platform. I was encouraged by a few professors to participate in the collaboration, but I wasn't at all interested (especially since I had never done computer-vision-related work, and knew it to be complicated and really hard to do)... Until I realized that I could use the camera and some software projects/libraries to build a solution to a big problem I had - namely, that of folks not signing in when entering a radio studio that I ran.

Over the course of six weeks or so, I ended up building a facial detection/tracking solution that would create a visitor log and send alerts when it didn't recognize someone. It was an alpha program, and I never got around to refining or finishing it, but it was really exhilarating to have an insight, prototype the solution, and then install it and actually begin using it. I was eventually invited to demo the project at a conference, and the whole collaboration was ultimately really fulfilling.

Here's the thing, though - the actual coding experience wasn't fun at all! Coding, debugging, coding some more, debugging even more issues, debugging hardware issues, trolling Stack Exchange to figure out why the heck these exceptions were thrown when compiling to ARM... it was an experience that led to many restless nights, GrubHub orders and head-desk moments. Those middle four weeks sucked, plainly put.

However, I'm so thankful I did that project, because it made it abundantly clear what to me what I did and didn't enjoy. Grinding to convert caffeine into code wasn't fun at all, but identifying a problem and knowing how technology can fix it was. As was working with users, giving feedback to AXIS, prototyping solutions, thinking about interfaces... I was studying to become an engineer who sometimes works with people, when in reality I wanted to work with people and sometimes engineer.

For me, technology isn't the thing; it's the thing that gets us to the thing. I love technology as a tool that can be leveraged to improve lives. But just as a carpenter wouldn't fancy forging their tools themselves, my focus is in building the businesses and ideas and solutions and environments and infrastructure that technology make possible. Where I am most invested in is the intersection of technology and humanity.

---

All of this to say that while I understand full well how you must be feeling right now, I'd encourage you to give yourself the experiences and perspective to better understand what kind of work is the greatest source of joy for you. It might take a lot of hard work to get there, but once you know, you know.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I installed a Nest thermostat in the office today:

Was pretty easy actually and it's a cool unit. My favorite feature so far is the motion sensor, it'll turn off the screen after a few minutes but if you walk past it'll turn on and display the temperature.

Typing the password for the WiFi is pretty neat too since you have to spin the dial to input the characters, feels like opening a futuristic safe :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the way they kept it simple yet looking classy, while still having a tactile feeling to adjust the temperature. Although the question is if you ever need to touch it since it integrates with everything mobile and is meant to be used autonomously.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
So a bit of good news. Family got the Xbox One S in the living room over the weekend, and during setup I got a good look at how small the damn thing is. It's tempting me so much to go much smaller than the Node 202 that's in my apartment now. And I'm a sucker for a white case w/ black accents.

Reactions: LocoMoto

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
i talked my sister through trying to figure out what happened to my nephews PC. I gave him an i3 2100 and GTX 660 to upgrade the PC I built for him in 2013 (G2030 Pentium + GTX 550 ti). Looks like he bent the Motherboard pins trying to install the CPU, and then accidentally unplugged the Power plug from the motherboard. Now we are trying to figure out what to do to replace it. He doesn't play many new games so I'm thinking upgrade him to.....

Phanteks P400 Eclipse
Asrock Z97-Anniversary
Intel Pentium G3258

I already put a fairly decent 92mm fan tower cooler that I know can handle the G3258 @ 4.6ghz, and I also am using the Z97 Anniversary and used a P400 Eclipse on my boss's PC (looooved that case). Maybe see if I can help him get a stable 4.5ghz build for Minecraft and youtube watching?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I found myself in a very similar place at the end of my first year in college. I was studying Computer Science and taking a lot of mathematics and physics courses, as well as programming. I loved mathematics in high school, and was very good at it - I was one question shy of a perfect SAT score - and I had done a fair amount of web development and scripting as well, in my free time. I figured that I'd do well with more of the same, and that I'd enjoy being a software developer once I graduated.

It took me that whole first year to realize that I'd fall out of love with all of these things were I expected to do them for 40+ hours a week, every week, as my career. I was already falling out of love with them as a student! Some things weren't challenging at all, some things were far too challenging given how dry I thought they were, and almost everything I did was so hypothetical and rudimentary and disconnected from anything else. It felt meaningless, I felt as if what I was learning and what I could do at that point didn't really matter all that much. It was uncomfortable, to say the least.

So I sat down and thought about why I enjoyed what I did, when I did, and I realized that while I did find fun in development and mathematics as a hobby, it wasn't my passion. Indeed, what made me excited about all those programming projects I did as a hobby wasn't the programming itself, but rather the operational outcome of the things I created.

---

As an example - during my sophomore year, my school collaborated with a security camera company called AXIS Communications, whereby the company provided free hardware and guidance in order to entice students to create apps for their fledgling "smart camera" app platform. I was encouraged by a few professors to participate in the collaboration, but I wasn't at all interested (especially since I had never done computer-vision-related work, and knew it to be complicated and really hard to do)... Until I realized that I could use the camera and some software projects/libraries to build a solution to a big problem I had - namely, that of folks not signing in when entering a radio studio that I ran.

Over the course of six weeks or so, I ended up building a facial detection/tracking solution that would create a visitor log and send alerts when it didn't recognize someone. It was an alpha program, and I never got around to refining or finishing it, but it was really exhilarating to have an insight, prototype the solution, and then install it and actually begin using it. I was eventually invited to demo the project at a conference, and the whole collaboration was ultimately really fulfilling.

Here's the thing, though - the actual coding experience wasn't fun at all! Coding, debugging, coding some more, debugging even more issues, debugging hardware issues, trolling Stack Exchange to figure out why the heck these exceptions were thrown when compiling to ARM... it was an experience that led to many restless nights, GrubHub orders and head-desk moments. Those middle four weeks sucked, plainly put.

However, I'm so thankful I did that project, because it made it abundantly clear what to me what I did and didn't enjoy. Grinding to convert caffeine into code wasn't fun at all, but identifying a problem and knowing how technology can fix it was. As was working with users, giving feedback to AXIS, prototyping solutions, thinking about interfaces... I was studying to become an engineer who sometimes works with people, when in reality I wanted to work with people and sometimes engineer.

For me, technology isn't the thing; it's the thing that gets us to the thing. I love technology as a tool that can be leveraged to improve lives. But just as a carpenter wouldn't fancy forging their tools themselves, my focus is in building the businesses and ideas and solutions and environments and infrastructure that technology make possible. Where I am most invested in is the intersection of technology and humanity.

---

All of this to say that while I understand full well how you must be feeling right now, I'd encourage you to give yourself the experiences and perspective to better understand what kind of work is the greatest source of joy for you. It might take a lot of hard work to get there, but once you know, you know.

Exactly! I haven't taken any tech related courses for college (only core classes) but I figured out in middle school/high school that I had no desire to program or do serious web development. It helps that I hate math. I do, however, love looking for a solution to a problem, not matter what technology it might involve. Same with increasing process efficiency. I often wish there was a troubleshooter job (although that is what I unofficially do at work lol).

Back on topic: Went around with a Kill-a-watt getting power readings on various things at work.. large coffee pot uses 1055W max, 1053W on start up. Looking at generator loads and solar arrays and examining power draw is mildly interesting.

Last edited: