What did you do today?

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
Parental unit has been notifying of their requirement for a reduced height glass house to place oxygen producers within.

I finally relented and made this, too her specification, her initial response was "Whys it so big!" I then reminded her what of her design brief and expected size
Note, there's no lid as yet I'm waiting on some perspex to mount into two hinged frames that will make the lids.
6ft long 2.5ft wide. No idea why there's a short handsaw there I used a chop saw (two one exploded)

Needs painting then the bottom coated in bitumen to protect it as well as the roof

Not too bad for someone who has no wood working skills.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Parental unit has been notifying of their requirement for a reduced height glass house to place oxygen producers within.

I finally relented and made this, too her specification, her initial response was "Whys it so big!" I then reminded her what of her design brief and expected size
Note, there's no lid as yet I'm waiting on some perspex to mount into two hinged frames that will make the lids.
6ft long 2.5ft wide. No idea why there's a short handsaw there I used a chop saw (two one exploded)

Needs painting then the bottom coated in bitumen to protect it as well as the roof

Not too bad for someone who has no wood working skills.

If I was a betting man, I'd put a hundred bucks on you having got those little right-angle metal joint things at Lowes.

Reactions: Biowarejak

step83

Average Stuffer
Dec 23, 2018
If I was a betting man, I'd put a hundred bucks on you having got those little right-angle metal joint things at Lowes.

Afraid you loose the bet there squire, was from Screwfix, shipping to the UK would be a little much from Lowes ;).

Brackets are only there as where I put the double screws in I could only single screw some of the bits, Ideally I wouldn't of needed them but, meh its together. Perspex arrives today pre cut, I say perspex its 4mm double wall polycarbonate. Just slow drill it fit screws with washers on the polycarb and offer it up for the hinges. Mother is painting it today so ill Bitumen the base at the weekend.

riposte

Trash Compacter
Dec 9, 2017
My battletop setup is finished 1 week ago, but the keyboard is arrived 2 weeks ago from Japan :D
I still have 'good' wired gaming mouse btw, steelseries Rival 95, but for daily usage, this wireless mouse (Logitech M331) is good enough.
My external HDD is almost dying, I realized when I heard clicking sound yesterday. I will buy 2.5" HDD and SSD enclosure with USB-C connector and use the HDD as permanent battletop storage. I'm not considering to buy ready-to-use external HDD because horrible soldered USB port to the drive

I'm still not sure to buy Thunderbolt 3 eGPU, PS4, or SFF desktop. I feel I don't have enough time to play games, it's conflicted with watching anime and learning language.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Afraid you loose the bet there squire, was from Screwfix, shipping to the UK would be a little much from Lowes ;).

Brackets are only there as where I put the double screws in I could only single screw some of the bits, Ideally I wouldn't of needed them but, meh its together. Perspex arrives today pre cut, I say perspex its 4mm double wall polycarbonate. Just slow drill it fit screws with washers on the polycarb and offer it up for the hinges. Mother is painting it today so ill Bitumen the base at the weekend.

Well.... that's too bad. Y'all miss out over there without lowes!

I used very similar brackets in a pc case I built.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
My battletop setup is finished 1 week ago, but the keyboard is arrived 2 weeks ago from Japan :D
I still have 'good' wired gaming mouse btw, steelseries Rival 95, but for daily usage, this wireless mouse (Logitech M331) is good enough.
My external HDD is almost dying, I realized when I heard clicking sound yesterday. I will buy 2.5" HDD and SSD enclosure with USB-C connector and use the HDD as permanent battletop storage. I'm not considering to buy ready-to-use external HDD because horrible soldered USB port to the drive

I'm still not sure to buy Thunderbolt 3 eGPU, PS4, or SFF desktop. I feel I don't have enough time to play games, it's conflicted with watching anime and learning language.
Very nice. I like your ingenuity. For external drives, you could stick to the Seagate Expansion or Seagate Expansion Portable drives as they use a regular SATA drive plugged into a SATA to USB board. The WD external drives (certain portable ones at least) have control boards with USB ports soldered on. That "feature" may have come to all of WD's external drives so it may be best to avoid them altogether.

Today was a decent day. I am currently enjoying Full Circle in it's current state with Solus. Got Blender 2.80 Beta and AMD ProRender Beta for Linux. Just have to figure how to get the OpenCL and ROCm components of AMDGPU-Pro installed so I can really see what the system can do.

riposte

Trash Compacter
Dec 9, 2017
For external drives, you could stick to the Seagate Expansion or Seagate Expansion Portable drives as they use a regular SATA drive plugged into a SATA to USB board.

Today was a decent day. I am currently enjoying Full Circle in it's current state with Solus.

Thanks for the info. I will be considering Seagate on my next shopping list.

What desktop environment you use right now on Solus?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Took a calculus test. I did better than I feared and worse than I'd hoped. Average has been ticking up though, and at this rate I should be able to pass. One more test and then a cumulative final, so I'll have plenty of study materials.

Also went shopping! Roomate bought a deep fryer so that's neat. No other updates at the moment, I'm up to my ears in coursework.

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
A 24 pin and EPS cable that I think I'm actually going to use. I have wasted so much material because I keep changing my mind about PSUs and their orientations and whatever.

A very neat and tidy workspace. Congrats

I dare not show how much of a mess I made last time I did my cables .. pretty much sworn off doing cables again . . .

Reactions: Biowarejak and Solo

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the info. I will be considering Seagate on my next shopping list.

What desktop environment you use right now on Solus?
You're most welcome. I use the Budgie desktop environment at the moment. Looking at KDE which is in beta (?) at the moment. Tried MX Linux first whose installer was buggy. I may try it again as I need the OpenCL and ROCm components of amdgpu-pro in order to use AMD ProRender.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
A 24 pin and EPS cable that I think I'm actually going to use. I have wasted so much material because I keep changing my mind about PSUs and their orientations and whatever.

I always wonder how people make cables that clean. Do you physically measure the longest and shortest wires, and then make the in-between steps based off those, or do you actually measure every single length? Looks amazing, no matter what. I'm just happy when I manage to crimp things so that the terminals stay on XD

Today, I got my first haircut in four months (about time!), and spent about five hours writing four or five paragraphs for a 5-6000 word essay with a first-draft deadline the upcoming Wednesday. I'm sure it'll speed up eventually, but for now, I'm a little stressed out. Should probably have listened to my Ph.D. supervisor when she suggested my workload for this semester was ... ambitious. Teaching two classes (including administrative work and grading), supervising the theses of six bachelor students, taking part in two doctorate-level courses, and (supposedly) working on my project at the same time? The latter tends to be pushed to the side quite a lot. At least this essay is somewhat relevant to my project (and might one day turn into a paper or article, if I put in the work).

Solo

King of Cable Management
Nov 18, 2017
I always wonder how people make cables that clean. Do you physically measure the longest and shortest wires, and then make the in-between steps based off those, or do you actually measure every single length? Looks amazing, no matter what. I'm just happy when I manage to crimp things so that the terminals stay on XD

I estimate either the innermost or outermost wire first by placing the empty connectors onto the PSU and motherboard, and then once I have that length based on the bend(s) of the wire, I put the two connectors side by side, flat on the table, and work my way outward to form the graduated wires. I measure all the wires at the halfway point on the connector and then cut them there. That's where the terminals stop when you click them into place.

Idk. That's what I do at least lol.