What did you do today?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm glad that you were able to visit. How did it go? How are each of them?

Thank you. It went very well, kids were so happy to see me. We played retro gaming while eating pizzas. Disvovered that my 9yo daugthter started Zelda - A link to the past on SNES. They grow so fast....

I like the logo you created for GuilleAcoustic Design.

Thanks, logo is something I've never been good at. Will try to vectorise it.

Yesterday I went around circles talking (or not) about my depression and darker thoughts with an employment coach (you don't look depressed) and a family member (who was overwhelmed). Will be talking with a counsellor later today (hopefully they actually listen).

Talking about it is an essential step toward healing depression. This is something only you can achieve. I hope you get better soon, take good care of yourself. Life has beautiful things to offer, even during our darkest moments.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
Played overwatch.

After solo queueing for 2-3 hours, I booted up 3ds max and started planning for a computer case. Last week I failed to convince Sunmilo the Taobao case maker to modify designs for one of his cases, so I decided to work on my own. Below are some images from my current layout.

The idea is a Silverstone FT03 mini-esque case, with some components rearranged and aesthetics slightly different. I/O comes out the top-rear. Size is comparable to a vertically placed Ncase M1, but with less GPU length room since some of the length is reserved for I/O wires at the top. I wanted a small footprint for my case since most of the surface of my desk (aside from peripherals) is taken up by either Lego or maths papers. I also have nearly unlimited vertical clearance so the height (which is at 330mm total right now) might increase if I need the extra room.

One of the things I wanted to do was use an extension cable for the PSU. The original idea from Sunmilo had the power supply's cable coming out of the back. I didn't like this since it ruined an otherwise clean and uniform look to the rear panel and it didn't keep all the wires together in a consistent location. I also didn't like the way Silverstone has the PSU right above the motherboard in the FT03 mini since it limits CPU air cooler height considerably.

I have a roughly 20mm rear chamber which houses the top I/O and a slot load ODD towards the rear of the case. This space could be used for cable management and installation of SSDs or 2.5" HDDs. I have omitted 3.5" HDDs for now, but they might make a return if I can find a place to put them somewhere, possibly above the motherboard and CPU if a low profile air cooler is used.

Regarding the top I/O, I wanted the top of the rear chamber to be mod friendly. I plan to have the top panel removable and replaceable with cutouts for whatever I/O the user needs. I was inspired by the way Caselabs handles their modular I/O, so I wanted to try and create something similar.

I have a problem where I only have maybe 10mm above the GPU's flange, which is a problem since I want at least 25mm of space to allow for power connectors. To do this without changing the dimensions of the case would mean foregoing the rear chamber behind the motherboard and I would lose the modular top I/O design I wanted. I could shift the power button and stuff to the right side of the case, but I want to hide the I/O cables somehow; maybe rout them along the perimeter of the plate containing the I/O shield and behind the motherboard tray.

I wanted to mount a 240 radiator on the right side panel, but as you can see in the fourth image it interferes with the SFX PSU. I want to keep the PSU somewhere so that an SFX-L model won't have any clearance issues with any other component. I'll have to find a way to move the PSU or forego a 240 radiator and live with a dual-fan setup, which will still look nice with LED fans and a side panel with ventilation holes/cutouts.

I also want this case to be reversible in orientation; that is to say I want it so that the front and back panels could be easily switched, as well as the top I/O reversed so that the CPU would face the left side instead of the right. This would give flexibility in where I could place the case on my desk so that I can still have a nice view of the internals.

This is all a dream however, so I'll probably be on and off this idea for a while, especially with classes starting up again in a few weeks.

Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Thank you. It went very well, kids were so happy to see me. We played retro gaming while eating pizzas. Disvovered that my 9yo daugthter started Zelda - A link to the past on SNES. They grow so fast....
I glad that you all had a good time together. Yes, they do grow up fast. She made an excellent choice of game to start too.

Thanks, logo is something I've never been good at. Will try to vectorise it.
Looking forward to seeing that.

Talking about it is an essential step toward healing depression. This is something only you can achieve. I hope you get better soon, take good care of yourself. Life has beautiful things to offer, even during our darkest moments.
I DO talk about it. The result is either the other person dismisses it, ignores it, thinks its their fault, tells me some story that in no way relates to my situation, or tells me that things will get better or that there is a bright side. I have been told the latter two for years, things haven't gotten better and whatever bright side there was is now darkness again.

Played overwatch.

After solo queueing for 2-3 hours, I booted up 3ds max and started planning for a computer case. Last week I failed to convince Sunmilo the Taobao case maker to modify designs for one of his cases, so I decided to work on my own. Below are some images from my current layout.

--snip--

The idea is a Silverstone FT03 mini-esque case, with some components rearranged and aesthetics slightly different. I/O comes out the top-rear. Size is comparable to a vertically placed Ncase M1, but with less GPU length room since some of the length is reserved for I/O wires at the top. I wanted a small footprint for my case since most of the surface of my desk (aside from peripherals) is taken up by either Lego or maths papers. I also have nearly unlimited vertical clearance so the height (which is at 330mm total right now) might increase if I need the extra room.

One of the things I wanted to do was use an extension cable for the PSU. The original idea from Sunmilo had the power supply's cable coming out of the back. I didn't like this since it ruined an otherwise clean and uniform look to the rear panel and it didn't keep all the wires together in a consistent location. I also didn't like the way Silverstone has the PSU right above the motherboard in the FT03 mini since it limits CPU air cooler height considerably.

I have a roughly 20mm rear chamber which houses the top I/O and a slot load ODD towards the rear of the case. This space could be used for cable management and installation of SSDs or 2.5" HDDs. I have omitted 3.5" HDDs for now, but they might make a return if I can find a place to put them somewhere, possibly above the motherboard and CPU if a low profile air cooler is used.

Regarding the top I/O, I wanted the top of the rear chamber to be mod friendly. I plan to have the top panel removable and replaceable with cutouts for whatever I/O the user needs. I was inspired by the way Caselabs handles their modular I/O, so I wanted to try and create something similar.

I have a problem where I only have maybe 10mm above the GPU's flange, which is a problem since I want at least 25mm of space to allow for power connectors. To do this without changing the dimensions of the case would mean foregoing the rear chamber behind the motherboard and I would lose the modular top I/O design I wanted. I could shift the power button and stuff to the right side of the case, but I want to hide the I/O cables somehow; maybe rout them along the perimeter of the plate containing the I/O shield and behind the motherboard tray.

I wanted to mount a 240 radiator on the right side panel, but as you can see in the fourth image it interferes with the SFX PSU. I want to keep the PSU somewhere so that an SFX-L model won't have any clearance issues with any other component. I'll have to find a way to move the PSU or forego a 240 radiator and live with a dual-fan setup, which will still look nice with LED fans and a side panel with ventilation holes/cutouts.

I also want this case to be reversible in orientation; that is to say I want it so that the front and back panels could be easily switched, as well as the top I/O reversed so that the CPU would face the left side instead of the right. This would give flexibility in where I could place the case on my desk so that I can still have a nice view of the internals.

This is all a dream however, so I'll probably be on and off this idea for a while, especially with classes starting up again in a few weeks.
A very interesting design indeed. Provided that you make the main chamber taller, you would have space above the SFX PSU for that 240 radiator.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I always find it irritating when I hear something along the lines of, "you just need to cheer up" or, "I was depressed once when my grandma died".

Unfortunately, many people have trouble understanding things they haven't experienced, and the use of the word depression as a synonym for being sad for a couple of days makes people mistake someone who says they are depressed with that rather than someone with a problem in their brain that makes them sad, tired, apathetic, self-loathing, etc all at once. Positive thinking might make things less bad, but it's also hard to do at times, and won't fix the problem any more than it can fix any other chronic condition.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I have been told the latter two for years, things haven't gotten better and whatever bright side there was is now darkness again.

Have you talked with a professional before? While friends and family may mean well, it's no substitute for someone who's trained and experienced with dealing with depression.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I always find it irritating when I hear something along the lines of, "you just need to cheer up" or, "I was depressed once when my grandma died".

Unfortunately, many people have trouble understanding things they haven't experienced, and the use of the word depression as a synonym for being sad for a couple of days makes people mistake someone who says they are depressed with that rather than someone with a problem in their brain that makes them sad, tired, apathetic, self-loathing, etc all at once. Positive thinking might make things less bad, but it's also hard to do at times, and won't fix the problem any more than it can fix any other chronic condition.
Very much that.

Have you talked with a professional before? While friends and family may mean well, it's no substitute for someone who's trained and experienced with dealing with depression.
That is very true and I am talking with one now.

And doesn't have any obstacles to say what you need to hear or exactly the opposite. Family and friends aren't often in a good position to offer help with depression.
That is definitely true. Much of the time I merely wore a mask or distanced myself.

Thank you all for your support. It really does mean a lot to me.

Today, I had my first session with a counsellor and it went well. Currently looking into installing, configuring, and using either redshift or blueshift. I truly dislike the colour temperature of the display on my ThinkPad. Speaking of ThinkPads, I found a thread about custom ones that have become available from a notable 51nb member and their team: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4xyxmt/51nbs_x320x330_coming_available_today_thread_4/ If I had the money, I would get a X62.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've spent some time at work figuring out a way to manage iOS devices like an iPad for our company, we are trying out a project for mobile colleagues that visit clients at home and need to access some data.

Apple has their free apps, but it requires OS X Server, which means at the very least a Mac Mini, which our non-profit organisation is not going to pay to manage a single iPad. So I searched for other solutions that are Windows or Linux-based. AirWatch from VMware seemed interesting, but it's scale and cost is not what we're looking for. Than I saw someone mention Meraki (Cisco owned) has a Systems Manager that's basically a up-to-100-clients free cloud-based iOS management platform. Great !

Although quite complex, a lot of cogs in the machine but I'm inching closer to iOS management nirvana every day.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I've spent some time at work figuring out a way to manage iOS devices like an iPad for our company, we are trying out a project for mobile colleagues that visit clients at home and need to access some data.

Apple has their free apps, but it requires OS X Server, which means at the very least a Mac Mini, which our non-profit organisation is not going to pay to manage a single iPad. So I searched for other solutions that are Windows or Linux-based. AirWatch from VMware seemed interesting, but it's scale and cost is not what we're looking for. Than I saw someone mention Meraki (Cisco owned) has a Systems Manager that's basically a up-to-100-clients free cloud-based iOS management platform. Great !

Although quite complex, a lot of cogs in the machine but I'm inching closer to iOS management nirvana every day.
I completely forgot about Meraki. How is it to setup and use now?

There was a funeral for a close friend of the family. Watched three twitch streams. Worked on my case design.

https://www.twitch.tv/amd

https://www.twitch.tv/virgo4u

https://www.twitch.tv/fractaljosh

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Finally memorised the Hiraganas from the 2nd group.

Acquired Hiraganas: 20/48
  1. あいうえおかきくけこ
  2. さしすせそたちつてと
That's great!

Else, been working my ass to get out of this hospital. Burn out and depression aren't fun and easy challengers. Almost there after 10 years of psychotherapy and already a month at hospital.
No, burn out and depression just are not. PM me if you need and I hope for your continued recovery.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I completely forgot about Meraki. How is it to setup and use now?
I'm still waiting for one of the hoops we need to jump through (tokens, certificates, oh my) to be fixed, we still only have the one tablet to test on. It's developed to scale well beyond our scope, evident because of the "Free up to 100 devices" limitation. So it takes more set-up and manual-browsing than a Unifi Controller setup but less than a Nagios setup, to name a few popular applications I'm familiar with.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Today I went to Ikea. What's not to love about them, but I'm usually on a mission when I go. This time I was looking for ideas on raising my recently acquired speakers to ear-level for my desktop. After an hour and a half of zombieing around, I got two black square Läck, ...

Before

After

Still need to do some cable management, but I'm happy with the result of the increased audio quality and lack of cables below my screen.

But those Ikea Läck, specifically these small ones, what a horrible mounting system. While the large ones use a metal bracket that you mount to the wall and slide the board on, these smaller ones have screw hooks, without screws by the way. And the dimensions they mention aren't accurate, mine were off 2 and 4 mm.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Yesterday, I received news that my favourite uncle pasted away. That same day, I did a system upgrade on my ThinkPad and nearly destroyed the filesystem (on which I also have important data). That's two people I knew personally, gone in the span of a week and I'm still trying to recover my data.

Not sure what I'll be doing today.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's two people I knew personally, gone in the span of a week and I'm still trying to recover my data.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's always tough losing people you know and love.

What kind of issues are you having with the data? Maybe I can help.