What did you do today?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Waiting patiently (as best as I can) for my KMPKT 200w Mini to arrive. I ordered it on Sunday so it hasn't shipped out yet. But I can't wait to be done with the messy wire setup of my HD-PLEX that isn't a plug-in unit. It would be the next step to my case design, finally use my dedicated GPU, and to take some badass build photos with it.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Went through another technical test today, it was step #6.

Went ok, not great but not bad, which was expectable considering it's the language I master the less and that this test has been scheduled out of the blue with only 24h notice.

The saddest is that they aren't interested in what I master most, which is what I applied for, but rather by what I master the less. I'd really wish they'd told me that before I took 6 interviews......

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
wait, specifically the weakest skillset? or something you happen to not be prepared for? o_o
or are they looking to gauge how much would it take to get you up to speed?

I wouldn't say it was on purpose or in a way to trap me. It's just that that are after that skill set and not after what I applied for.

That was a spontaneous appliance, but I'm disappointed that they never mentioned that they weren't looking for what I applied, especially since they asked me what I'd like to do.

What they are looking for is aimed at ultra stressful missions, which is what I want to avoid at all cost...

nero626

Average Stuffer
Dec 8, 2016
Couple weeks ago I got these audeze in ear planar, stock hooks were super uncomfortable so I went through many iterations of ear hooks, also just to learn more about 3d printing in general

while they are comfy and miles better than stock, they aren't as secure as I like, so I finally did it!!
introducing my "over head in ear open back planar magnetic" monstrosity XDXDXD

I can't even feel it on my head, light as feather :cool:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I just sent my college's final report
ever. I'll graduate for real. 91 pages total

gosh I've been working on this for over a month now
I'm free (well mostly presentation is next week but that's the easy part)
well. I'll have to submit mine at the end of this academic year. then off to 5 years of great research with nutcase professors before I get my doctorate.

can't wait.

(my paper is on the laws of thermodynamics. it's boring. especially since only some of it applies on this forum. damn I wish I was an electrical engineer or a mechanical engineer, since engineers actually kinda do things. my field is basically just sitting around doing math and fantasizing about physics.)

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
well. I'll have to submit mine at the end of this academic year. then off to 5 years of great research with nutcase professors before I get my doctorate.

can't wait.

(my paper is on the laws of thermodynamics. it's boring. especially since only some of it applies on this forum. damn I wish I was an electrical engineer or a mechanical engineer, since engineers actually kinda do things. my field is basically just sitting around doing math and fantasizing about physics.)
Why not switch to what you are truly interested in? Once you leave school, it gets harder to practice your passion. This can be disastrous depending on your temperament. Take it from me.

Reactions: Biowarejak and el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Why not switch to what you are truly interested in? Once you leave school, it gets harder to practice your passion. This can be disastrous depending on your temperament. Take it from me.
thermodynamics isn't as interesting as other things. we were limited to only discovered concepts within our papers.

engineering, well, I know enough electrical to know how to make something basic with an Arduino, enough software to visualize data sets with Python, and enough mechanical to know that VTEC is cool.

Besides, I rather like physics. Nice to see how the world works.

P.S. If all else fails, this will work:

(except with some other ones within the scale):
computer science is just applied computer architecture, which in turn is just applied electrical engineering, which in turn is just applied physics :D

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
thermodynamics isn't as interesting as other things. we were limited to only discovered concepts within our papers.

engineering, well, I know enough electrical to know how to make something basic with an Arduino, enough software to visualize data sets with Python, and enough mechanical to know that VTEC is cool.

Besides, I rather like physics. Nice to see how the world works.

P.S. If all else fails, this will work:

(except with some other ones within the scale):
computer science is just applied computer architecture, which in turn is just applied electrical engineering, which in turn is just applied physics :D

Meanwhile the crytpogeeks like me (sadly inexperienced) are all like "What about us?? O wait. It's applied math".

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Meanwhile the crytpogeeks like me (sadly inexperienced) are all like "What about us?? O wait. It's applied math".
So you're on the same plane as me :D

But then you could argue that:
  • Math is simply applied logic
  • Logic is simply applied philosophy
  • Philosophy is simply applied intense thought
  • Intense thought is simply applied active brain usage
  • Active rain usage is simply application of being bored
  • Being bored is an application of having nothing to do
  • Having nothing to do comes from settling down in towns (and also sociology so get rekted)
  • Settling down in towns comes from making tools
  • Making tools comes from humans banging rocks together
  • Humans banging rocks together comes from chance
  • Chance comes from (to an extent) entropy and genetics
  • Entropy comes from the universe! (see below)
  • Genetics comes from animals
  • Animals come from bacteria
  • Bacteria come from random crap in the ocean
  • The ocean (and its random crap) come from the formation of Earth
  • The formation of Earth comes from the Big Bang
  • The Big Bang is from the universe!
  • The universe was something before anything, which can be defined as uncertainty
  • But then, you could argue that Stallman was motivated by uncertainty (or Ambrose Bierce quote in signature), and so...
  • Computer science is indirectly more "pure" than math.

Today was fun. Cursed at LaTeX for 2 hours until I realized that I accidentally didn't mark a % sign properly.

Can't wait to do this for the rest of the year. ;)