What did you do today?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
It brings me far more joy than it reasonably should that someone else immediately thought of that video as well.
Yes, old memes are the best memes.

beauty brought to you by Noctua, Fractal Design, and (I think) Gigabyte and Sapphire

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Did an equivalent part list to what is in the NUC8i7HVK. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Soul_Est/saved/M6n3FT Very comparable especially if I go with a regular Node 202 and a Corsair SF450.

Here at work, I am trying to get past a roadblock in my R&D project at work. Thankfully I have another project to keep me from getting (too) frustrated. Wish me luck peeps.
Screwballs at where my dad works time... (feel better about yourself)

So he's working on R&D for this joint venture thing between two companies, and so someone he work with brings him schematics for an enclosure for the board he's working on. He's like "OK, here's the schematic for the enclosure, can you take a look at it for me?" to my dad. My dad goes "OK" and the other dude's like "Keep in mind that it's not final..." And he walks off into the sunset (no, jeez). My dad pulls up the schematic and then he notices that it is 7mm long. SEVEN MILLIMETERS. He looks at the board to confirm his suspicions, and the board is around 7 inches (or around 17.78 cm long). He goes over to the dude and asks "What is this?" The dude looks at the measurements, looks at my dad, looks at the measurements, and then says "It wasn't final." My dad, (being a savage), asks "Then if the measurements are so bad, why did you even show it to me?" and then leaves.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I hope the roadblock is not human. Those are the worst.
Not directly...

Screwballs at where my dad works time... (feel better about yourself)

So he's working on R&D for this joint venture thing between two companies, and so someone he work with brings him schematics for an enclosure for the board he's working on. He's like "OK, here's the schematic for the enclosure, can you take a look at it for me?" to my dad. My dad goes "OK" and the other dude's like "Keep in mind that it's not final..." And he walks off into the sunset (no, jeez). My dad pulls up the schematic and then he notices that it is 7mm long. SEVEN MILLIMETERS. He looks at the board to confirm his suspicions, and the board is around 7 inches (or around 17.78 cm long). He goes over to the dude and asks "What is this?" The dude looks at the measurements, looks at my dad, looks at the measurements, and then says "It wasn't final." My dad, (being a savage), asks "Then if the measurements are so bad, why did you even show it to me?" and then leaves.
Sounds like the software issues I'm having.

Well I did not resolve the issue today but I soldiered on anyway. This roadblock is a Network and File Sharing issue in Windows 10 where the feature would either not work or fail to authenticate even if the same user with the same password is logged in on both machines. I have this issue at both of my jobs. At my primary job, I decided, "Screw it, let's keep going.", and added the machine to the domain. At my secondary job, I just have to turn it on as it turns off randomly.

As for that equivalent build list comparing to the NUC8i7HVK, it is the answer to the, "But you could build one cheaper!", argument that comes up every time someone wishes to discusses such a system. In fact, if I went for better power efficiency, this build is very close to what the NUC8i7HVK is priced at right now ($1239.99, normally $1284.99). Very tempted right now.

Still looking at the Switch too. Pre-ordered Ys VIII for it but I'm not sure.

Going to just chill this evening and try designing better radial fans. Acer's AeroBlade 3D is my inspiration here.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Not directly...

Sounds like the software issues I'm having.

Well I did not resolve the issue today but I soldiered on anyway. This roadblock is a Network and File Sharing issue in Windows 10 where the feature would either not work or fail to authenticate even if the same user with the same password is logged in on both machines. I have this issue at both of my jobs. At my primary job, I decided, "Screw it, let's keep going.", and added the machine to the domain. At my secondary job, I just have to turn it on as it turns off randomly.

As for that equivalent build list comparing to the NUC8i7HVK, it is the answer to the, "But you could build one cheaper!", argument that comes up every time someone wishes to discusses such a system. In fact, if I went for better power efficiency, this build is very close to what the NUC8i7HVK is priced at right now ($1239.99, normally $1284.99). Very tempted right now.

Still looking at the Switch too. Pre-ordered Ys VIII for it but I'm not sure.

Going to just chill this evening and try designing better radial fans. Acer's AeroBlade 3D is my inspiration here.

NEVER CAVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE!!! What do you do with radial fans? I would take some pointers from Noctua...

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Doing alright in my summer course, so that's good :) A's so far, slightly accelerated curriculum means there's less to remember. Gonna finish my last chapter of reading before tomorrow's exam and then work on the FreeCad shiz a bit. It's turned into a bit of a "hey let's go through the whole process together" type dealio that's taking longer than I'd like.

Also, I identified the cause of my stability issues... it appears that my OEM heatsink, an interim replacement for the Kelvin T12, was pushing too hard on my memory. Gonna shave the fan frame and give it another go.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
NEVER CAVE IN TO PEER PRESSURE!!! What do you do with radial fans? I would take some pointers from Noctua...
I need to English better. I meant that I am tempted to get a NUC8i7HVK or HiGame now. Radial fans (blowers) are what reference coolers for video cards and coolers for laptops use.

Doing alright in my summer course, so that's good :) A's so far, slightly accelerated curriculum means there's less to remember. Gonna finish my last chapter of reading before tomorrow's exam and then work on the FreeCad shiz a bit. It's turned into a bit of a "hey let's go through the whole process together" type dealio that's taking longer than I'd like.

Also, I identified the cause of my stability issues... it appears that my OEM heatsink, an interim replacement for the Kelvin T12, was pushing too hard on my memory. Gonna shave the fan frame and give it another go.
Sending well wishes to you. I know you got this though. Looking forward to your tutorials for when I have a system to handle FreeCAD with complex designs.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Starting to look like it might be the DIMM that's bad. Switching slots and pulling a stick from another kit to swap it with hasn't caused any issues. Just that stick. A couple random BSOD's about driver failure when I tried to boot with it in. Hmmph.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Lol yeah, tech can be finicky. I turned off the XMP profile and up'ed the voltage. Seems to be stable now. Might be that my 6700t isn't rated for those speeds, which ARK confirmed. Single stick pulled it off though.

-edit-

Yeah, it hitched up not long after I posted this. Bleh. Was hoping I could avoid RMA'ing, seeing as they'd both passed memtest before. Might have a friend with a different CPU give them a test, but I don't know.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Long, frustrating, and productive day at work and after. Never bring your work with you. Ever. I made the mistake of doing so. Now I'm worried about it.

Went with a friend to view an apartment they are considering moving their family into. It needs work which I told them to bring up and ensure that they're fixed in a reasonable timeframe if they choose to rent it.

I am rather undecided about what to do about a computer, music player, and gaming system. I would like a decently powerful computer (main one is a potato for creation and gaming), a Nintendo Switch, and a DAP, but I cannot bring myself to budget the amount needed for that. At least I can continue to dream about owning a car as I cannot afford one, period.

I hope your days were better than mine.

Last edited:

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Changed the front brakepads in my car, bought a new keyboard, lost the tenkey part of my retro Ducky keycap set. le sad. :'(
We need to hold a mock funeral. Take a cigar box or something and build a tiny little coffin for it ;) "Rest in piece"(get it?)
If you give me more information about the keycaps, I would be more than happy to write a eulogy ;,)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
@el01 the keycaps are around here somewhere, just no idea where! Too much epic SFF hardware (both previously reviewed and yet to be reviewed)
Ah, OK! Go on a perilous quest to find them ;)! Dodge (presumably) towers of reviewed hardware and horrific large-form-factor PCs on your daunting quest. Bring along an ITX motherboard for comfort. I suggest one of the ROG Strix variety. Your weaponry? A densely-packed antiquated SFF system on a stick with a chain!
Man, I really want to make a hero based off of you now!
-el01